Sign in to follow this  
airmail

Dake/Taylor commentating

Congrats to Yianni and Nolf.  

But as a Meredith fan, I found the Dake commentary to be annoying as hell...  I get the whole concept, and love Dake, but the way he talks has always reminded me of the "And this one time! At band camp!" chick from American Pie.  I hope other WYO fans watched with their volumes down....

Same for Hidlay fans, at least Taylor's didn't last quite as long.  Would have liked to see them replace Quint (and his snazzy tennies) with J'den during their wrestling sequence tho!

Congrats to Yianni and Nolf.  

But as a Meredith fan, I found the Dake commentary to be annoying as hell...  I get the whole concept, and love Dake, but the way he talks has always reminded me of the "And this one time! At band camp!" chick from American Pie.  I hope other WYO fans watched with their volumes down....

Same for Hidlay fans, at least Taylor's didn't last quite as long.  Would have liked to see them replace Quint (and his snazzy tennies) with J'den during their wrestling sequence tho!

The timing of those commentaries was inappropriate. Those interviews should have been done inbetween rounds, not during matches. ESPN Clearly does not understand the wrestling fan base.

Stop complaining. These are two of the biggest names in the sport... you want them to be part of the broadcast....

I agree we want them part of the broadcast. What I'm saying is they could be used in a lot better fashion. Watching Taylor demonstrate a shot on Quint Kessnick was painful. Hearing him ask annoying questions during the Yanni and Nolf finals was distracting. They need to be used to add to the entertainment of the matches, not detract from them.

Stop complaining. These are two of the biggest names in the sport... you want them to be part of the broadcast....

I don't.... Meredith has an amazing backstory, but instead of hearing about any of that, 3/4 of the match was filled with Yianni biased commentary.  

For me, it was the equivalent of watching a whole Broncos/Giants game with Phil Simms and Chris Collinsworth commentating times 10. 

To retract, yes, we want them there, but as others said, in a different fashion.  

Edited by airmail

Taylor's most intriguing comments were about how Penn State should have had the target on it's back, but instead, it seemed Ohio State was the one wearing a target. Was Taylor delicately implying that "narratives" put forth by Ohio State had a negative impact on team psychology/performance?

I don't.... Meredith has an amazing backstory, but instead of hearing about any of that, 3/4 of the match was filled with Yianni biased commentary.

For me, it was the equivalent of watching a whole Broncos/Giants game with Phil Simms and Chris Collinsworth commentating times 10.

To retract, yes, we want them there, but as others said, in a different fashion.

Agree, but that’s not their fault, that was Quint/ESPN’s fault.

Boy wrestling fans really hate having wrestling on TV. I have never seen such a nit picky group of girls in my life.

Agree.  I was appreciating that for two days (Thurs/Fri) there were complaints about interviews taking up air time and causing missed match time during broadcast.  IT WAS EVEN SUGGESTED HERE that they do the interviews WHILE showing the matches - which oddly enough, ESPN got the note and did so during the Finals.  But yet...we still complain.

SMH

Guys, we have 3 days of tournament - during the worst overshadowing event this time of year in MBKB and WBKB weeks long tournaments - and ESPN (thankfully) still manages to give us at home all rounds being aired on national television and all mats being streamed online/on apps.  Be thankful.  Suggest more. Complain less.

Boy wrestling fans really hate having wrestling on TV. I have never seen such a nit picky group of girls in my life.

Thank you BOB DOLE! I've been thinking this so much in reading these boards. I stay because there is some good quality conversation to be had, but man you really have to filter through the whiners to get there!

Agree.  I was appreciating that for two days (Thurs/Fri) there were complaints about interviews taking up air time and causing missed match time during broadcast.  IT WAS EVEN SUGGESTED HERE that they do the interviews WHILE showing the matches - which oddly enough, ESPN got the note and did so during the Finals.  But yet...we still complain.

SMH

Guys, we have 3 days of tournament - during the worst overshadowing event this time of year in MBKB and WBKB weeks long tournaments - and ESPN (thankfully) still manages to give us at home all rounds being aired on national television and all mats being streamed online/on apps.  Be thankful.  Suggest more. Complain less.

The interviews were mainly during times where there were very few if any matches of interest. I know way more than I should on this subject.

If you wanted to watch straight match after match you could go to ESPN3. The network production was a SHOW, meaning things like storylines, interviews, and all the hubhub that comes with a SHOW.  How you get viewers to stay tuned in or tune in for the semi's or finals is you create storylines and reasons for average folks to stay tuned. Running straight matches isn't going to keep an average person tuned in.

The interviews were mainly during times where there were very few if any matches of interest. I know way more than I should on this subject.

If you wanted to watch straight match after match you could go to ESPN3. The network production was a SHOW, meaning things like storylines, interviews, and all the hubhub that comes with a SHOW. How you get viewers to stay tuned in or tune in for the semi's or finals is you create storylines and reasons for average folks to stay tuned. Running straight matches isn't going to keep an average person tuned in.

I agree, but if you want an interesting interview, don’t interview people immediately after they’ve wrestled 7+ minutes (note: Bo doesn’t count since his match was short), or parents/coaches DURING matches they are trying to watch.

Yeah, those pesky 3rd place matches on Saturday morning, who needs 'em.

(and matches which may hold no interest for you may hold a lot for others)

I agree with Bob Dole and 1032004

do human interest stories on these guys.

it wont be easy... I have said for years the olympics (skating, skiing etc) were popular b/c they went behind the scenes.

not just interviews at an event, where the person is distracted or tired.

it would be interesting to get some real information or a look at these guys lives... (alas, only if they allow it)