Sign in to follow this  
airmail

Dake/Taylor commentating

I think it’s possible to BOTH appreciate the awesome and voluminous espn coverage AND wish it were better. Truth is Rome wasn’t built in a day. The coverage was really good in many respects and the commentary was directionally right. They just need to decide how to make it better. More background stories on the wrestler. More explainers on scoring. Etc.

I agree with Bob Dole and 1032004

do human interest stories on these guys.

it wont be easy... I have said for years the olympics (skating, skiing etc) were popular b/c they went behind the scenes.

not just interviews at an event, where the person is distracted or tired.

it would be interesting to get some real information or a look at these guys lives... (alas, only if they allow it)

The Olympics get more popular partly because the broadcast and print media hype the hell out of them and they are once every four years. If you had Curling championships on this level each year no one would even notice. It is THE OLYMPICS - so people pay attention. Even with that most Olympic sports participants don't get hyped much. A journalist finds a hook or decides to hype a particular sport or athlete. People read the interview or story or see it on the Television and figure it must be worth seeing. Face it - how many Curling matches did you watch before the US team in the Olympics over the past four years?

Get a few journalists to write more and TV to feature more Wrestling athletes and you would see a lot more interest.

Edited by WillieBoy

i would agree with that.

however, i also agree that people don't watch NCAA wrestling to hear billy baldwin.

lets follow dake and taylor during their daily grind... not listen to them hype their alma mater.

lets hear from Bill Sherer or wade schalles

or from redshirting athletes... and then hi light them when their year comes up.

didn't metcalf do something along these lines one year?

maybe do it with a more likable/less polarizing figure ...

Yeah, those pesky 3rd place matches on Saturday morning, who needs 'em.

(and matches which may hold no interest for you may hold a lot for others)

Iowa fans were complaining that the first day there weren't any Iowa matches shown. Can't keep everyone happy. Again if you wanted match by match go to ESPN3.

I agree, but if you want an interesting interview, don’t interview people immediately after they’ve wrestled 7+ minutes (note: Bo doesn’t count since his match was short), or parents/coaches DURING matches they are trying to watch.

As a fan I agree completely and won't comment further. 

however, i also agree that people don't watch NCAA wrestling to hear billy baldwin.

Wrestling people only want to hear from Gable. Baldwin brings a good element to the broadcast and is really good. He's better than Quint.

I agree he is better than quint, however, after year 8 of billy, i have seen him enough.

This would be way cooler if Billy were more relevant than being Alec Baldwin's brother who hasn't had an important role in a project since "Backdraft."

Since it is sport, how about having Roddy White, Stephen Neal, Tony Siragusa, former MLB player and assistant director Mike Buddie and even Kurt Angle and Brock Lesnar come in and say a few words? Heck, even Daniel Cormier, Frankie Edgar, Chuck Lidell, Cain Velasquez and a few others would be good for bringing more attention and viewers to the sport. Dana White and he can talk about NCAA wrestling being a breeding ground for mixed martial arts... so many options!

The interviews were mainly during times where there were very few if any matches of interest. I know way more than I should on this subject.

If you wanted to watch straight match after match you could go to ESPN3. The network production was a SHOW, meaning things like storylines, interviews, and all the hubhub that comes with a SHOW.  How you get viewers to stay tuned in or tune in for the semi's or finals is you create storylines and reasons for average folks to stay tuned. Running straight matches isn't going to keep an average person tuned in.

Wrestling draws very few casual viewers. Your logic is way off. 

True, but as has been said in other threads, we still need to do a better job of getting people that actually have wrestling experience watching NCAA's, since there's a lot of them that don't.   I think the storylines could help with that.   The interview with the Ohio wrestler was one example that I thought was interesting.   The finals alone had a ton of storylines (some of these were talked about but not in too much detail if at all):

125: Lee's injury/redshirt and HS loss to Desanto; Suriano's transfer

133: Gross's previous transfer, first guy from SDSU to win

141: of course Yianni being a true freshman, Meredith a previous finalist; just the overall stacked nature of this weight (I thought it was funny how during the early rounds, they showed a graphic with the top 5 seeds and said "any of these 5 guys can win," and they didn't even mention that the 2-time defending champ was the 6-seed).

149: Zain being Zain, Perry as a 15-seed and first LHU finalist since Kolat; battle of PA 1

157: Nolf being Nolf and coming off injury, Hidlay an undefeated freshman; battle of PA 2

165: rematch of last year, IMAR going for 3, Joseph potential for 4

174: close match last year, probably the most controversial call of last year's tournament and I'm not sure if it was even mentioned on the broadcast; Hall potential for 4 titles

184: both previous champs, wrestled several times, obviously the team implications were talked about

197: both guys from states without much success historically, Macchiavello's improvement from being under .500 as a freshman

285: The Snyder/Coon series was one of the few stories that they really even talked much about

No my logic is spot on. 

What you don't realize is, ESPN is in the business of marketing to casual fans not the experts. ESPN's goal is to draw in as many viewers as possible and since the number of potential casual fans is about 5000X larger than the hardcore fans they market to that demographic.

True, but as has been said in other threads, we still need to do a better job of getting people that actually have wrestling experience watching NCAA's, since there's a lot of them that don't.   I think the storylines could help with that.   The interview with the Ohio wrestler was one example that I thought was interesting.   The finals alone had a ton of storylines (some of these were talked about but not in too much detail if at all):

125: Lee's injury/redshirt and HS loss to Desanto; Suriano's transfer

133: Gross's previous transfer, first guy from SDSU to win

141: of course Yianni being a true freshman, Meredith a previous finalist; just the overall stacked nature of this weight (I thought it was funny how during the early rounds, they showed a graphic with the top 5 seeds and said "any of these 5 guys can win," and they didn't even mention that the 2-time defending champ was the 6-seed).

149: Zain being Zain, Perry as a 15-seed and first LHU finalist since Kolat; battle of PA 1

157: Nolf being Nolf and coming off injury, Hidlay an undefeated freshman; battle of PA 2

165: rematch of last year, IMAR going for 3, Joseph potential for 4

174: close match last year, probably the most controversial call of last year's tournament and I'm not sure if it was even mentioned on the broadcast; Hall potential for 4 titles

184: both previous champs, wrestled several times, obviously the team implications were talked about

197: both guys from states without much success historically, Macchiavello's improvement from being under .500 as a freshman

285: The Snyder/Coon series was one of the few stories that they really even talked much about

There isn't a lot of time to set the storylines throughout the weekend. 

Again setting the storylines and pumping them up takes time. Plus people want to hear about the action going on on the mat. It's 10 minutes of air time for a match and you want commentary, then trying to set and build a storyline in that time. 

We all love what Dake brings on the mat. Unfortunately off the mat he's got a size 85 hatband. The guy is an egotistical ass, and that's the most polite way I can think to say it.  I've yet to hear a Dake interview where I thought afterwards "Wow, what a cool, insightful guy".