Sign in to follow this  
MadMardigain

What’s next years top 5 team race look like?

Penn State

Insert scrambling of teams here...

Four returning champs, thre of them two timers, two of them three time finalists. Three other returning all-americans. Four guys coming in who have wrestled in WNO, with the idea that freshman can make an immediate impact firmly in place. As far as the title goes, there is no team race next year.

That said, Iowa, Okie State, NC State I think would be my off the top of my head picks for the other three trophies.

Top 10 Returning Points for 2019

1. Penn State - 117pts. 

2. Iowa - 84pts. 

3. Ohio State - 77.5pts

4. Missouri - 57pts. 

5. Michigan - 51pts.

6. Nebraska - 46pts. 

7. Cornell - 45.5pts.

8. NC State - 38.5pts.

9. Arizona State - 36.5

10. Oklahoma State - 35.5pts.

*courtesy of flo

Edited by Lubongo

Nebraska should be top ten and could very well be in the mix for top five. Nine starters return (almost entirely underclassmen), RS Labriola will be inserted into lineup somewhere (beat two medalists at 174 this year) and top incoming recruit Thomsen should take the starting spot at 125. So assuming Renteria can make weight at NCAAs and everybody continues to improve, this team should be one to watch for the next few years.

I'll say:

1. Penn State

2. Iowa

3. Ohio State

4. Oklahoma State

5. Cornell/Nebraska/Michigan/Mizzou (these four seem pretty interchangeable) 

Edited by Lubongo

I say it’s a three way race for the title with PSU, Iowa and tOSU. As always bonus points will be huge which Iowa proved they can walk the walk this year.

Okst could fight their way in there depending on what team shows up to nationals this year.

PSU loses a big hammer but reloads with blue chip talent and has improvements coming in as well.

Until further notice, PSU is the team to beat but I think Iowa can make it a fight.

Nebraska should be top ten and could very well be in the mix for top five. Nine starters return (almost entirely underclassmen), RS Labriola will be inserted into lineup somewhere (beat two medalists at 174 this year) and top incoming recruit Thomsen should take the starting spot at 125. So assuming Renteria can make weight at NCAAs and everybody continues to improve, this team should be one to watch for the next few years.

I'll say:

1. Penn State

2. Iowa

3. Ohio State

4. Oklahoma State

5. Cornell/Nebraska/Michigan/Mizzou (these four seem pretty interchangeable)

Why Ok State at 4?

1. Penn State - 117pts.

2. Iowa - 84pts.

3. Ohio State - 77.5pts

4. Missouri - 57pts.

5. Michigan - 51pts.

6. Nebraska - 46pts.

7. Cornell - 45.5pts.

8. NC State - 38.5pts.

9. Oklahoma State - 35.5pts.

10. Arizona State - 36.5

*courtesy of flo

Why are OkSt and ASU flipped? Is that a typo?

Why Ok State at 4?

I felt like these guys underperformed quite a bit at the end of this year. My thinking is they come back motivated with a healthy Weigel (0 points at NCAAs this year) in his senior and immediate contender with huge bonus-point potential in Daton Fix to compete for top 3-4. 

1. Penn State - 117pts.

2. Iowa - 84pts.

3. Ohio State - 77.5pts

4. Missouri - 57pts.

5. Michigan - 51pts.

6. Nebraska - 46pts.

7. Cornell - 45.5pts.

8. NC State - 38.5pts.

9. Arizona State - 36.5

10. Oklahoma State - 35.5pts.

*courtesy of flo

Cornell and OSU will be the two that shoot up on that list, NC State is in a slight rebuild and will need a year to get back in the top 5.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I say it’s a three way race for the title with PSU, Iowa and tOSU. As always bonus points will be huge which Iowa proved they can walk the walk this year.

Okst could fight their way in there depending on what team shows up to nationals this year.

PSU loses a big hammer but reloads with blue chip talent and has improvements coming in as well.

Until further notice, PSU is the team to beat but I think Iowa can make it a fight.

As long as Iowa keeps recruiting the PA kids they'll be competitive.

Rutgers with 3x AA Ashnault returning should move up the standings next year. Him and Suriano will be title contenders and Gravina and VanBrill possible AA.

I think Gravina is done, but I hear Glasgow is likely to be there. He’s as good, of not better, than HS teammate Mekhi Lewis. He will make an immediate impact.

PSU clear favorite

I say Okie State 2nd. They underperformed but they have some studs. PIcc, Fix, Brock, Gfeller, Boo, JoJo, Rodgers, Smith, Weigel, White

Iowa 3rd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iowa is rolling right now.  They will ride the spencer lee wave to the top of the non-PSU heap.  OSU has not had a great wrestler since Dieringer graduated and it has hurt them as a team.  You need someone the team takes their cues from and rallies behind.  I honestly think part of Joseph winning the past 2 years was momentum.  Those guys watch Retherford maul guys on the mat and go out ready to do the same.  Iowa has that killer now.  tOSU lost theirs.  The Cornell Frosh clearly raised their level with Yianni.  OSU is still looking.  I hope it's Fix but I'm not convinced the freestyle skills totally translate.  

PSU clear favorite

I say Okie State 2nd. They underperformed but they have some studs. PIcc, Fix, Brock, Gfeller, Boo, JoJo, Rodgers, Smith, Weigel, White

Iowa 3rd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a pretty solid list of guys on Oklahoma State.    This weekend's out come was a bit of a head scratcher.   I have to believe they really come back looking for redemption.  

1. Penn State

2. Iowa

3. Oklahoma State

4. Michigan

5. Ohio State

6. North Caroline State

7. VTech

8. Lehigh

9. Minnesota

10. Arizona State/Rutgers

*Ranking above assumes Ohio State will redshirt key guys and aim for the title in 2020.