Sign in to follow this  
MadMardigain

What’s next years top 5 team race look like?

I felt like these guys underperformed quite a bit at the end of this year. My thinking is they come back motivated with a healthy Weigel (0 points at NCAAs this year) in his senior and immediate contender with huge bonus-point potential in Daton Fix to compete for top 3-4.

They have a serious lineup next year too to bottom. There could be a hole at 157. Barring injury everything else is covered.

125: Fix/Piccininni

133: Fix/Brock

141: Gfeller/Brock

149: Gfeller/Lewallen

157: Lewallen/Smith/Rogers

165: smith/Rogers

174: Jacobs/Rogers

184: Jacobe/Moore/Whitlake/Mardsten

197: Weigel

285: White

That reminds me of 16/17 team that had 6 AAs. They are an AA threat an every weight

Edited by Housebuye

Iowa is rolling right now. They will ride the spencer lee wave to the top of the non-PSU heap. OSU has not had a great wrestler since Dieringer graduated and it has hurt them as a team. You need someone the team takes their cues from and rallies behind. I honestly think part of Joseph winning the past 2 years was momentum. Those guys watch Retherford maul guys on the mat and go out ready to do the same. Iowa has that killer now. tOSU lost theirs. The Cornell Frosh clearly raised their level with Yianni. OSU is still looking. I hope it's Fix but I'm not convinced the freestyle skills totally translate.

TOSU May have another few though. They have serious recruits coming off of redshirt. If that’s me jumped levels they can be a title threat. Would it really be shocking if Kaleb Romero ends up being s contender? Or Sasso (true freshman next year)?

1. Penn State

2. Iowa

3. Oklahoma State

4. Michigan

5. Ohio State

6. North Caroline State

7. VTech

8. Lehigh

9. Minnesota

10. Arizona State/Rutgers

*Ranking above assumes Ohio State will redshirt key guys and aim for the title in 2020.

Missouri will be in the top 10, with a shot at top 5. They were 6th this year with an overall poor performance and only lose Lavallee, which is a big loss, but failed to AA this year, and Barlow McGhee who really shouldn't have even qualified this year and went 0-2. So almost all of their points come back next year.

1. Penn State

2. Iowa

3. Oklahoma State

4. Michigan

5. Ohio State

6. North Caroline State

7. VTech

8. Lehigh

9. Minnesota

*Ranking above assumes Ohio State will redshirt key guys and aim for the title in 2020.

Nebraska should be top ten. Finished 9th and, had Renteria made weight, likely a 7th place finish. Lost 1 wrestler that earned points and has Labriola coming off redshirt who had wins over 2 AAs at 174.

Cornell and OSU will be the two that shoot up on that list, NC State is in a slight rebuild and will need a year to get back in the top 5.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

nevermind

Edited by KTG119

Top 10 Returning Points for 2019

1. Penn State - 117pts. 

2. Iowa - 84pts. 

3. Ohio State - 77.5pts

4. Missouri - 57pts. 

5. Michigan - 51pts.

6. Nebraska - 46pts. 

7. Cornell - 45.5pts.

8. NC State - 38.5pts.

9. Arizona State - 36.5

10. Oklahoma State - 35.5pts.

*courtesy of flo

Oklahoma will put one heck of a team on the mat nest year--look at this season SS they sent the B team----I have them top 3 next year--will somewhat depend on who Ohio State red shirts

They have a serious lineup next year too to bottom. There could be a hole at 157. Barring injury everything else is covered.

125: Fix/Piccininni

133: Fix/Brock

141: Gfeller/Brock

149: Gfeller/Lewallen

157: Lewallen/Smith/Rogers

165: smith/Rogers

174: Jacobs/Rogers

184: Jacobe/Moore/Whitlake/Mardsten

197: Weigel

285: White

That reminds me of 16/17 team that had 6 AAs. They are an AA threat an every weight

feels like Rogers has been around for ever

I am not sure what to expect from UofM.

125:Mattin-Do they redshirt him or keep him going?

133:Micic-Silva redshirting?

141:Freeman-not sure what to expect from him.  His redshirt season was all over the place.

149:Amine-fringe top 20

157:Pantaleo-Will be hard pressed to repeat his 5th place finish.  7 of the 8 AA's return.  If Joe Smith somehow returns to 157(doubtful) it would be even harder.

165:Massa-Can he get healty and re-focused?

174:Amine-I really like his improvement.  I don't see him knocking off Zahid or Hall, but they better be ready to wrestle.

184:Embree-Was a stud in High School and will be coming off a 15-2 redshirt season.

197:Davison/Striggow-Davison was highly touted coming out of Indiana, but had a very limited redshirt season.

285:Do they go with Parris right away?  Or, do they redshirt him and use Ready or Nemec?

Micic, Pantaleo, Massa(healthy) and Amine make for a solid nucleus, but there are still too many unknowns to pick them to make the podium.

Edited by MSU158

PSU will be the favorites, yet again.  However, I do believe Iowa will make them sweat a bit.  Especially if PSU cannot replace the 25+ points Retherford has given them the last 3 years. Also, tOSU and OkState could challenge if everything comes together.

Iowa

125:Lee

133:?

141:Murin/Turk

149:Lugo

157:Kemerer

165:Marinelli

174:Gunther/Young/Bowman

184:Wilcke/Bowman

197:Warner

285:Stoll

Lee,Kemerer,Marinelli and Stoll make for a formidable base.  Warner should contend for solid AA status.  Lugo could benefit GREATLY from how thin 149 becomes(he pinned the highest returning placer at Midlands).  If Murin can prove to be an AA contender and Wilcke can make 184 without it killing him, this team can put up 120+.

tOSU-

125:Heinselman IF they go all in.  If not, Koontz

133:Pletcher IF they go all in.  If not, maybe a redshirt and another Koontz.

141:McKenna IF they go all in.  If not, maybe a redshirt and Fitzgerald

149:Jordan-All rumors point to him moving back down.

157:Hayes,Burcher,Ryan-Not sure what happens here if Jordan goes down.  Do they put Mattox in right out of the gate?

165:Campbell-Rock Jordan redshirting?

174:Romero-Could be very good.

184:Martin-IF, they go all in.  If not, Steiner or Harris

197:Moore

285:Singletary

The ALL IN team has a ton of potential.

OkState:  For sake of the argument, I am putting their best possible line up 1st, but will note where they likely will be.

125:Piccininni-He is too soft to go up to 133, so I hope Fix chooses to go 133.

133:Fix-May very well switch 125 and 133.  If Fix goes 125, Brock could stay at 133 and make Picc sit.

141:Brock/Gfeller-Brock is also a tad soft and could get beat out if he moves up.

149:Lewallen/Geo/Gfeller-This team is starting to look like an All Star Cast of "Musical Chairs".

157:Smith/Lewallen/Geo-I don't see Smith here, but damn does it look like it would be best for the team.

165:Rogers/Smith-I expect to see Smith here which continues the Musical Chairs theme all the way up.

174:Jacobe Smith/Rogers-I am not sold Rogers could beat Smith out, but maybe he helps make OkState better at 184 by moving up.

184:Moore/Smith/Marsden-At least this is the last weight that may/will move.

197:Weigel-Hopefully he can finish his Senior year healthy

285:White-Should challenge for a podium spot.

Picc, Fix, Brock, Lewallen, Smith, Rogers, Smith, Moore, Weigel and Whites puts out 7 guys that have AA'd a World Champ(Fix) and an R12(White) where 5(maybe 4 if Dhesi gets a 6th year) if the AA's graduate.

Oklahoma will put one heck of a team on the mat nest year--look at this season SS they sent the B team----I have them top 3 next year--will somewhat depend on who Ohio State red shirts

Wow, interesting.  Rosselli will have really performed well if your prediction comes to fruition.  What's their line up look like?  

I found this write up on the past season

"Lou Rosselli was named the head wrestling coach at the University of Oklahoma on August 30, 2016, after spending 10 years on the Ohio State coaching staff.

In Rosselli's first year at the helm the program's development was evident as the squad produced a 10-3 mark after the holiday break to finish the season with an 11-6 overall record, including wins over three ranked teams. In addition, the Sooners finished in second place at the 2017 Big 12 Championship, and eight wrestlers qualified for the 2017 NCAA Championships in St. Louis. Rosselli made a mark in the recruiting circuit as he picked up seven top-100 recruits to begin the 2017-18 season."

http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=31000&ATCLID=211156573

1. Penn State

2. Iowa

3. Oklahoma State

4. Michigan

5. Ohio State

6. North Caroline State

7. VTech

8. Lehigh

9. Minnesota

No Cornell on the list?  They are top 7 this year, EVERYONE is back, and they have Arujua amongst many other quality freshman and gray-shirts that will be coming on board next year.  They will be in the top 5 next year. 

No Cornell on the list?  They are top 7 this year, EVERYONE is back, and they have Arujua amongst many other quality freshman and gray-shirts that will be coming on board next year.  They will be in the top 5 next year. 

So how does their lineup project?  This is my best stab at it:

125:Baughman/Lajoie

133:Tucker/Arujau

141:Yianni/Arujau

149:Koll/Yianni

157:Simaz/Stroker/Brindley

165:Chavez

174:Womack

184:Dean

197:Darmstadt

285:Sweany/Janney/Furman

That is solid, but they will still have a hard time beating out Missouri,NCState, Michigan for Top 5.

So how does their lineup project? This is my best stab at it:

125:Baughman/Lajoie

133:Tucker/Arujau

141:Yianni/Arujau

149:Koll/Yianni

157:Simaz/Stroker/Brindley

165:Chavez

174:Womack

184:Dean

197:Darmstadt

285:Sweany/Janney/Furman

That is solid, but they will still have a hard time beating out Missouri,NCState, Michigan for Top 5.

Possibly

Arujao will AA at 133 or 141, but could be top 4 at 133. Plus he is a bonus wrestler. 15 points

Yianni is the favorite at 141 or 149 (25 points)

Chavez could AA again (7 points)

Womack could AA again (7 points)

Dean will be ranked 5th or so (12 points)

Darmstadt will be ranked top 5, is a pinner and is a title contender (16 points)

That puts them in the 80s. They are a podium contender, but they can’t afford a guy like Darmstadt to get a bad draw

Well, I think the Buckeyes shouldn't be written off, unless they try redshirting a ton of people.

125 Koontz ?

133 Pletcher

141 McKenna

149 Hayes

157 Jordan

165 Campbell

174 Romero

184 Martin

197 Moore

Hwt. Kevin Snyder

This is a solid line up with 5 AA's on it. If Romero wrestles up to his billing, and Hayes and Campbell improve a little this could easily be a team that pushes Penn St., for the title.

Well, I think the Buckeyes shouldn't be written off, unless they try redshirting a ton of people.

125 Koontz ?

133 Pletcher

141 McKenna

149 Hayes

157 Jordan

165 Campbell

174 Romero

184 Martin

197 Moore

Hwt. Kevin Snyder

This is a solid line up with 5 AA's on it. If Romero wrestles up to his billing, and Hayes and Campbell improve a little this could easily be a team that pushes Penn St., for the title.

I don't think K Snyder is the projected starter at Hwt for the Buckeyes. Agree if they don't RS guys they are very solid and I think in hunt for 2nd.