Sign in to follow this  
GranbyTroll

Best 3x Champ?

3 titles and 1 runner-up -- I *think* this is all of them...

Dick Hutton, Oklahoma State

Lee Kemp, Wisconsin

Ed Banach, Iowa

Lincoln McIlravy, Iowa

Kyle Snyder, Ohio State

Rex Peery, and his two sons, Hugh and Ed, each won three NCAA wrestling championships in three years of eligibility.

Edited by OKnowwhut

Where does Zain fit in? I know he only had a measly 5th place finish as freshman, but his dominance the last few years and undefeated streak should count for something. He is ahead of Snyder in those two categories. 

Kemp probably closest to win 4, ref dec loss in finals as a freshman (Hutton maybe too in this category?)

Snyder has to be in the running. It is 5 career losses however.

And I believe Kemp had the only TD in the match that the refs voted for yagla

Looking only at his NCAA career, how does Snyder's 2-1-1-1 with only 2(?) losses stack up against the other greats? Are some of the old timers like Zalesky and Kemp ahead of him?

Snyder has more than 2 losses. He lost to Kyven Gadson twice, Mogan McIntosh and Nathan Burak his true freshman year at 197, and to Coon once this season. 5 career losses.

Snyder is far and away the greatest on this list if you factor in the fact that he simultaneously wrestled full time in freestyle and won two world golds and Olympic gold.  Again--he did it at the same time he was winning three NCAA titles while routinely giving up 20-60 pounds.  

If your only criteria are college accomplishments and collegiate dominance against collegiate wrestlers then Retherford might be the correct response.  

You guys decide.  

Keep in mind that if you accept my criteria then it's obvious Snyder is the greatest collegiate wrestler in history.  

Also Uetake belongs on this list.

Edited by silver-medal

Link Mack gets my vote

Not considering outliers, I would go with Mac as well. But have a hard time not acknowledging, and I know I'm in the minority here, the outliers of all the weight given up, all the travel with team USA and management of all that, all the accomplishments within those travels. Just for me personally that puts Snyder at the top of the list

Snyder is far and away the greatest on this list if you factor in the fact that he simultaneously wrestled full time in freestyle and won two world golds and Olympic gold. Again--he did it at the same time he was winning three NCAA titles while routinely giving up 20-60 pounds.

It's only an interesting discussion if you only consider NCAA results

It would have been interesting to see Snyder wrestle the heavyweights from a few years back when the weight class was loaded, or when it was Mocco, Konrad, and Rowlands. Obviously it’s incredible the weight he gives up and the schedule he maintains, but perhaps HWY is a little down right now, which makes it more doable. Again, not taking anything away from him, and I’m a huge fan of him.

It would have been interesting to see Snyder wrestle the heavyweights from a few years back when the weight class was loaded, or when it was Mocco, Konrad, and Rowlands. Obviously it’s incredible the weight he gives up and the schedule he maintains, but perhaps HWY is a little down right now, which makes it more doable. Again, not taking anything away from him, and I’m a huge fan of him.

With gwiz taking bronze at the worlds, and Coons size and past world level stuff, Snyder has proven enough because that is two pretty damn big wins, giving up size.

Gray Simons: 4X NAIA champ and 3x NCAA champ (not allowed to compete in the NCAA tournament as a freshman)

He was the MOW in all four NAIA tournaments and in two out of the three NCAA tournaments he competed in.

And I think he only lost 2 matches in his 3 years.  I got to meet him this weekend at the LHU social (my dad went to school with him at LHU).