Sign in to follow this  
GranbyTroll

Best 3x Champ?

The best of this list is Snyder, of course, if you consider overall body of work. To win 3x while doing it part time, against studs like Gwiz and Coon is remarkable. But, I think Zain or Kemp would top the list of NCAA wrestling only. McIravy’s loss to Marinetti was huge. It wasn’t just a 2-1 defensive struggle. He gave up a ton of points. Zain has had 1 match (Sorensen) in three years where there was a concern he could lose.

What was Nate Carr? Was he DNP,1,1,1 ?

yes. I've always been a little intrigued by the 3x champs who were 'only' 3x AA....how are you good enough to win 3 and can't even AA the other year?

and there's some heavy hitters in that group too Nate, Mark Schultz, Ricky Bonomo, Greg Jones.... 

The best of this list is Snyder, of course, if you consider overall body of work. To win 3x while doing it part time, against studs like Gwiz and Coon is remarkable. But, I think Zain or Kemp would top the list of NCAA wrestling only. McIravy’s loss to Marinetti was huge. It wasn’t just a 2-1 defensive struggle. He gave up a ton of points. Zain has had 1 match (Sorensen) in three years where there was a concern he could lose.

Zain also almost lost to Collica last year.  Snyder is definitely ahead of Zain even when only looking at only NCAA.  He has a higher freshman placement (2nd vs 5th) and has faced vastly tougher competition.  149 the past three years has been relatively weak outside of zain.  Heavyweight has had some very high level wrestlers.

It would have been interesting to see Snyder wrestle the heavyweights from a few years back when the weight class was loaded, or when it was Mocco, Konrad, and Rowlands. Obviously it’s incredible the weight he gives up and the schedule he maintains, but perhaps HWY is a little down right now, which makes it more doable. Again, not taking anything away from him, and I’m a huge fan of him.

Cormier beat both Mocco and Rowlands in Freestyle and Snyder is having a much better run than he did

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Surprised that Ed Ruth didn't make the great 3-timer list.

136-3

3,1,1,1. Third place coming from a medical default and wrestling back.

Everyone talks about Taylor, Retherford, etc. but Ruth was a force.

He was getting thumped in that QF bout.   Amuchastegui was up by a MAJ at the end of the 2nd period, when the INJ DEF occurred.   Never saw Zain get thumped like that.  DT had his moment when Cyler took him to the woodshed in the Blue-White.

Edited by lu_alum

It would have been interesting to see Snyder wrestle the heavyweights from a few years back when the weight class was loaded, or when it was Mocco, Konrad, and Rowlands. Obviously it’s incredible the weight he gives up and the schedule he maintains, but perhaps HWY is a little down right now, which makes it more doable. Again, not taking anything away from him, and I’m a huge fan of him.

You may have a point with the depth thing, but beating a defending 2xer who beat a defending 2xer effectively = Snyder >> Carl Edited by madcat11

More people would pick Kemp, if not for POTUS Carter.

While missing the Olympics means the general public doesn't know Kemp's name, he did not make the world team until he was 21 years old and graduated from college.  By the same age, Snyder had three world-level titles to Kemp's one.

While missing the Olympics means the general public doesn't know Kemp's name, he did not make the world team until he was 21 years old and graduated from college.  By the same age, Snyder had three world-level titles to Kemp's one.

What was Nate Carr? Was he DNP,1,1,1 ?

Rumor was that Nate got "banana'ed" by Roger Frizzell in the quarters, but I wasn't there, then lost an OT match next to a fella from Rutgers. Back then, you could win two in a row on the championship side but lose the next two and not place, whereas you could lose your first match, win the next two if you got pulled in, and AA.  (how fair is that)?

He may have been battling a stretched something or another? 

Edited by BadgerMon