Sign in to follow this  
Billyhoyle

Ohio State next year

Do you have inside information about Hayes? The guy bumped up a weight after an incomplete wrestleoff to a transfer. Undersized, he then did better than anyone expected and earned the 5 seed. At NCAAs, he lost 2 very close matches. One to the 4 seed and one to the 2 seed. He’s also a really outstanding top wrestler.

So what makes you think he doesn’t have fire?

i know you’re not asking me but I’d say if anyone thinks he had a “lack of fire” I’d say it’s not out of the realm for someone to get tired when they’re working against bigger guys. I didn’t see a suspect gas tank from him at 141

Do you have inside information about Hayes? The guy bumped up a weight after an incomplete wrestleoff to a transfer. Undersized, he then did better than anyone expected and earned the 5 seed. At NCAAs, he lost 2 very close matches. One to the 4 seed and one to the 2 seed. He’s also a really outstanding top wrestler.

Here's his pattern...score early and pad the lead then rest.  He was frequently out of gas by the third period.  I don't know why.  But that killer instinct you want to see in a potential NCAA champ just isn't there.  I think Hayes has a ton of talent.  But that relentless desire to score and dominate...or at least the tactics to kill the clock...are lacking.  He gave up a lot of third period points when he had a comfortable lead.  Against NC State he was up 10-0 and won 12-6.  Again--I don't know the issues nor do I have any inside knowledge about this young man.  In fact I'm impressed with interviews I've seen of him.  But something has to change or his career will end unfulfilled.

Here's his pattern...score early and pad the lead then rest. He was frequently out of gas by the third period. I don't know why. But that killer instinct you want to see in a potential NCAA champ just isn't there. I think Hayes has a ton of talent. But that relentless desire to score and dominate...or at least the tactics to kill the clock...are lacking. He gave up a lot of third period points when he had a comfortable lead. Against NC State he was up 10-0 and won 12-6. Again--I don't know the issues nor do I have any inside knowledge about this young man. In fact I'm impressed with interviews I've seen of him. But something has to change or his career will end unfulfilled.

he showed flashes of a will to win in matches this season. The latest being against Amine. Like I said before guys can have gas tank issues when they’re going against bigger guys.

Here's his pattern...score early and pad the lead then rest.  He was frequently out of gas by the third period.  I don't know why.  But that killer instinct you want to see in a potential NCAA champ just isn't there.  I think Hayes has a ton of talent.  But that relentless desire to score and dominate...or at least the tactics to kill the clock...are lacking.  He gave up a lot of third period points when he had a comfortable lead.  Against NC State he was up 10-0 and won 12-6.  Again--I don't know the issues nor do I have any inside knowledge about this young man.  In fact I'm impressed with interviews I've seen of him.  But something has to change or his career will end unfulfilled.

I agree that he has to get better. Maybe wrestling in his actual weight class will help instead of taking one for the team and moving up.  Moore also gassed a number of times in the third period.  Do you think he is going to transfer as well?  

Not everyone on the team is going to be an NCAA champ.  He can still AA the next two years, which will be big for the team.  He was a controversial call away from being a semifinalist this year.  

Edited by Billyhoyle

How come Carl doesn't go for the win with his freestyle guys? When was the last Penn Stater to medal at World's? 2002 with McCoy?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

His freestyle guys have done pretty well.   You may have heard of Olympic Gold Medalist Jake Varner?    Franklin Gomez world finalist?  Numerous  others on some world and Olympic teams.     Youtube some of these guys, you may be surprised at how they go for the win.   

Back on topic, short of a key transfer or two, this thing may be a run away in 2019.    The line up posted a page or two back for Penn State in 2020 looks about as  unbeatable as it gets.  

PSU would be something like

Teske

Teasdale/RBY

RBY/ Nick Lee

Nick Lee / Verkleeren

Verkleeren / Brady Berge

Cenzo

Hall

Aaron Brooks

Michael Beard

Seth Nevills

Bucks lineup for next season:

125: Mead/Heinselman

133: Pletcher

141: McKenna (unless he redshirts and Hayes moves down)

149: Micah

157: Sasso/Mattox

165: Cast of thousands (Romero, Rocky, Mattox)

174: Campbell

184: Gavin Hoffman?  Ethan Smith? (Myles redshirts)

197: Moore

Hvy: Singletary

I think it's 50-50 as to whether Hayes remains in Columbus.  Talented young man but really didn't seem to have the necessary fire in his belly at crunch time.  

It's funny that silver-medal would make such a ridiculous statement considering that he probably didn't have an issue when Micah Jordan went 2-2 at NCAA Championship his first year in the lineup.  A lot of first year NQ don't perform well, hell, look at some names of returning NQs or AAs that didn't even AA.  Some speculations or opinions should be left unsaid.  

His freestyle guys have done pretty well. You may have heard of Olympic Gold Medalist Jake Varner? Franklin Gomez world finalist? Numerous others on some world and Olympic teams. Youtube some of these guys, you may be surprised at how they go for the win.

Back on topic, short of a key transfer or two, this thing may be a run away in 2019. The line up posted a page or two back for Penn State in 2020 looks about as unbeatable as it gets.

PSU would be something like

Teske

Teasdale/RBY

RBY/ Nick Lee

Nick Lee / Verkleeren

Verkleeren / Brady Berge

Cenzo

Hall

Aaron Brooks

Michael Beard

Seth Nevills

Penn State's freestyle guys haven't won a medal in a very long time.

Varner lucked out with the new rules, ball grab era. Hell, he was forced into an early retirement by Snyder and I think Gomez won his medal in the ball grab area.

Quentin Wright did win a junior world medal before Sanderson, but never made a world team again.

Zain looks like he can head slapping with the best of them, but he has no real go to takedown in freestyle.

And then there's Hall who could be the most overrated wrestler in recent memory. Zahid made him look pedestrian

Good try with Varner and Gomez though.

Edited by cjc007

Varner lucked out with the new rules, ball grab era. Hell, he was forced into an early retirement by Snyder and I think Gomez won his medal in the ball grab area.

Quentin Wright did win a junior world medal before Sanderson, but never made a world team again.

Zain looks like he can head slapping with the best of them, but he has no real go to takedown in freestyle.

And then there's Hall who could be the most overrated wrestler in recent memory. Zahid made him look pedestrian

So summing up your post, you are off the chain biased against Penn State right now. Tough weekend, amirite? 

According to you Varner and Gomez don't count because they were with Cael.

Not because they don' count. If they were anywhere else you would count them.

You then knock Varner for losing his spot to Snyder, YET many regard Snyder as the GOAT.

How did Varner do in the first match of their OTT best of 3 series after wrestling an entire tournament while Snyder got to sit and relax all day?

You hate Cael because of Sandusky. Makes a lot of sense there.

Tom Ryan’s way is to take a kid off another team’s roster like Carson Kuhn and Corey Keener and Jered Cortez?

Kuhn had no roster and Cortez sat a year, but yeah, there's no difference in transfer policy between the two.  The only two guys that felt like "hired guns" were Long and McKenna.

Edited by LemonPie

Honestly, they are handing 6th years out like candy, which is good, so Hayes can probably get one.

Hayes would qualify for a sixth season as he red-shirted his first year and missed last year due to injury. That would be the missing two years that would enable Hayes to be granted a sixth year.

they’ve got a solid transfer coming in but it isn’t Picc

The transfer wrestled for Wyoming and lost a close decision to Montorie Bridges. He wrestled at Wyoming Seminary in HS and will fit in at 133 lbs. If they can get Picc to transfer (which would be a great move by Picc), Hofstra can begin making waves and get back to that top 15-20 range they achieved when Tom Ryan was leading the charge. Also, Hofstra needs more Long Island kids in the line-up and having Picc would be a huge sell to other LI recruits. Stay tuned...

The transfer wrestled for Wyoming and lost a close decision to Montorie Bridges. He wrestled at Wyoming Seminary in HS and will fit in at 133 lbs. If they can get Picc to transfer (which would be a great move by Picc), Hofstra can begin making waves and get back to that top 15-20 range they achieved when Tom Ryan was leading the charge. Also, Hofstra needs more Long Island kids in the line-up and having Picc would be a huge sell to other LI recruits. Stay tuned...

Picc seems pretty content to stay at OSU, I think the addition of Mike Patrovich will get them those kids he was coaching the Long Island guy since youth from just about the time he finished at Hofstra to 2 years ago.

Hayes would qualify for a sixth season as he red-shirted his first year and missed last year due to injury. That would be the missing two years that would enable Hayes to be granted a sixth year.

they seem to make up the rules as they go along on this one, but technically isn't it supposed to be for guys who lose two seasons to injury? not one developmental RS and then an injury year later?  

Edited by KTG119

Taking a RS is not missing a year unless he was injured and did not wrestle while on RS. 

The old, "He lucked out into an Olympic gold" hahahaha

Cael's freestyle guys go  for the win every single time.     No amount of excuse making changes that.  Thanks for the laugh though.     I hadn't heard the lucky Olympic gold comment in years.