Sign in to follow this  
scribe

Lee or Yianni? Which true freshman is better?

Lee. Yianni won 141 which was a deeper weight but less top-heavy. 125 had 4 killers in the mix and Lee dominated the 2 he wrestled. 

To expand on this, look at Lee's hit list this season. 

Tomasello 2x (once by fall)

Suriano

Piccininni 2x (once by fall)

Lizak by tech

Rivera by major

8 matches against former or current AAs and he won 7 of them, 4 by bonus. He doesn't just win, he dominates. 

Edited by PSUMike

Lee just lost two weeks ago, let's not act like he is unstoppable. Granted, he had a great performance at the NCAA's, but Mark Hall started receiving the same sort of treatment after his semis performance and we all know how that turned out.

With that said, I would give a slight edge to Lee over Yianni in the p4p rankings at this point.

Edited by BigRedMachine

Lee. More solid. More capable. Improved all year as his knee healed and he got to full lunge capacity. I discount his early loss to Bresser. He was still recovering. I don’t think Bresser would do anything against him in a rematch. The way he beat Nato suggests he turned the corner once his knee brace came off. Yianni is amazing but needs to do magic to win. Yianni is a lot like Hall. A magician who needs to magic to win. Guys like that are capable of losing to guys who don’t believe in magic.

Lee. More solid. More capable. Improved all year as his knee healed and he got to full lunge capacity. I discount his early loss to Bresser. He was still recovering. I don’t think Bresser would do anything against him in a rematch. The way he beat Nato suggests he turned the corner once his knee brace came off. Yianni is amazing but needs to do magic to win. Yianni is a lot like Hall. A magician who needs to magic to win. Guys like that are capable of losing to guys who don’t believe in magic.

Don't forget that Yianni missed his senior year because of elbow surgeries to repair growth plates on both elbows.  I don't know how long he was out, when were WTT's last summer June or July.  So do we discount his loss to Eierman at WTT's (I might because of the terrible officiating in the match, not the elbows)  or his loss this college season to him?  how long does it take to get strength back after elbow surgeries?  Hunter Stieber may know.  Yianni isn't, at all, like Heil, he is much more dynamic and wont be done wrestling after college.  Did you see Heil give freestyle a go last summer?  Absolutely brutal.  All that said, I think Spencer is a little bit ahead.