Sign in to follow this  
NJwrestlingguy

3 Programs that need to Change leadership

Having the right guy running your Program is everything. Coaches these day need to help build their fanbase and put people in the seats. Some guys are not up for that task that are Fully Funded and the Program has a Huge ceiling.

1- Michigan State- Program was a debacle and the AD hires the Associate HC Chandler who's been there 20 years and was a big part of the Spartans in the Basement. 0 points at NCAA

2- Indiana- State of Indiana had 4 AA this year but none were from their State University. They wrestle in a Middle School atmosphere. Duane Can't build a good staff and might struggle running a Lemonade stand. 1.5 points at NCAA

3- Maryland- Kerry is at a great institution that would heavily back a winning program. He's just there for the paycheck and has burried Maryland..When Maryland lost Santoro to Lehigh and hired McCoy the Program nosedived fast.

Honorable mention

Hofstra- Program is in bad shape. They had an AA that was recruited by former staff but for such a great area team is struggling. They hire Dennis 4 years ago and not One of his recruits has even been close to qualifying  for NCAA Tournament. But if you watch his interviews he's happy with progress?

Edited by NJwrestlingguy

Can't say as I disagree. Did Indiana really have 4 All Americans or is that a misprint or am I reading something wrong?

Four Div. I All Americans were from the state of Indiana, but wrestle for different schools.  Micic is one of them.

Having the right guy running your Program is everything. Coaches these day need to help build their fanbase and put people in the seats. Some guys are not up for that task that are Fully Funded and the Program has a Huge ceiling.

1- Michigan State- Program was a debacle and the AD hires the Associate HC who's been there 20 years and helped put the Spartans in the Basement. 0 points at NCAA

2- Indiana- Indiana had 4 AA this year but none were from their State University. They wrestle in a Middle School atmosphere. Duane Can't build a good staff. 1.5 points at NCAA

3- Maryland- Kerry is at a great institution that would heavily back a winning program. He's just there for the paycheck and has burried Maryland..When Maryland lost Santoro and hired McCoy the Program sunk fast.

Three Big Ten programs, two with National Championships to their credit (albeit in the prehistoric era).  McCoy really surprised/disappointed me, I thought they would do much better under him.  If I remember, I thought they had an AD that seemed serious about backing the program with resources, etc.  Any insights as to how they initially got off track?  Poor recruiting, poor talent development, off mat issues?  I'd like to see a turnaround there - certainly couldn't hurt the sport to have a strong program near the Great Black Hole, i.e., nation's capitol.

Debbie Yow, the AD at MD that was behind the push to get the program fully funded and competitive again under Santoro left to take the job in Raleigh. No surprise the Wolfpack program is thriving. The current AD at Maryland went on some strange, unexplained leave of absence/sabbatical last fall..not sure what’s up with that. I believe Kerry got a one year contract extension at the end of last season...not sure what the current administration’s plans are but if they care about wrestling (a big If) they most certainly should be looking to make a change.

Edited by gromit

Four Div. I All Americans were from the state of Indiana, but wrestle for different schools. Micic is one of them.

The state of Indiana also have three WNO competitors going out of state from this years (HS) senior class:

Joe Lee (Penn State)

Brayton Lee (Minn)

Mason Parris (Michigan)

Edited by Lurker

Debbie Yow, the AD at MD that was behind the push to get the program fully funded and competitive again under Santoro left to take the job Raleigh. No surprise the Wolfpack program is thriving. The current AD at Maryland went on some strange, unexplained leave of absence/sabbatical last fall..not sure what’s up with that.

Yes..Great point.. Debbie Yow is the Buzz! The Indiana AD is probably hiding in a corner after Indiana Basketball again didnt earn a NCAA bid. He probably doesnt know the NCAA Wrestling Championships were this weekend. Skimask will probably brag to him they scored 1.5 points.

Edited by NJwrestlingguy

Surely, you don't think one AA covers up the ills of either program...

I live in DC.  The U of Maryland athletic department is in a weird place.  Major state university in a pro sports town, they can't draw fans to anything right now.  I'm not sure the wrestling team is going to get any attention until they figure out how to get fans back to the football and men's basketball games.

Surely, you don't think one AA covers up the ills of either program...

I live in DC. The U of Maryland athletic department is in a weird place. Major state university in a pro sports town, they can't draw fans to anything right now. I'm not sure the wrestling team is going to get any attention until they figure out how to get fans back to the football and men's basketball games.

Iowa wrestled at MD a few years ago. Buddy and I drove over 2 hours to see the match, only 20 other people were there. Same 2 years ago for an advertised tri-meet, but was actually 6 teams, start time on site and venue were different? Very disorganized.

Same at Bucknell several years ago OK ST ranked #1, but less than 100 fans in central PA. Are they not at least inviting any high school team to come watch?

#TakeaFriendToAWrestlingMatch