Sign in to follow this  
CaliWrestler

IMAR

Seemed like he froze in the final..Nerves? he was definitely off

He got behind and he can't take Cenzo down with any of his offense. Note, even when he beat Cenzo this year he could not get a td. So he had to chase, and nobody looks good chasing.

The ladt 45 seconds were bizarre. I think mentally he broke.

Edited by TBar1977

He got a TD against Cenzo at the end of Big10s, I believe.

Probably the nerves, and the fact that he knew he was behind against a monster in Cenzo. Props to both guys though. A helluva career.

You are right, but that was in the final seconds on a desperation shot from Cenzo. I mar won that match on riding time, that final td was a by product of Cenzo having to chase, but you are correct that it happened.

His go to underhook is exactly where Joseph wants to be. Just a bad match up style wise. Joseph seems to peak at the appropriate times.

I agree... bad style match up. Imar best position is his underhook and Vincenzo feels totally comfortable and so dangerous with that overhook. Imar went right back to the position where he got burned last year and got burned again. Monday morning qb’ing if that was me, I would’ve changed tactics and stayed away from jamming the underhook... look for other ties/leg attacks and try to grind it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree... bad style match up and Joseph is an absolute gamer. Imar best position is his underhook and Vincenzo feels totally comfortable and so dangerous with that overhook. Imar went right back to the position where he got burned last year and got burned again. Monday morning qb’ing if that was me, I would’ve changed tactics and stayed away from jamming the underhook... look for other ties/leg attacks and try to grind it out.

He has a tendency to get rattled when he gets down. When he is rattled he tends to fall apart. All his losses where when things went bad near the start, or the first scramble, and he couldn't regroup. Even internationally, if he gets down he gets tech'd. 

As those above me have mentioned, Imar's offense revolves around that underhook and being able to bully guys on the mat with it. Joseph was able to nullify that position entirely. Watch Imar's losses to Dake and Dieringer in freestyle too, he struggles when he faces guys that are just as strong as he is. 

Poorly wrestled match by Imar in the first period.

1. Hooking behind the leg to trip in a relatively static position is a losing proposition. You're giving your opponent inside position with their hips. That does not end well.

2. You can't roll around on the bottom without hip separation against an elite wrestler. Horrible points late in the round that were easily preventable.

That match was odd. It seemed like Imar became unnerved after he was taken down. The head butt was out of character and he didn't seem to have a strategy.

But he had a heck of a career and he should be proud of that. Hopefully he learns from the loss and uses the lessons in the future.

It was the headgear,  or Jane Fonda.  The headgear kept coming unsnapped, and the ref was reprimanding IMar for not snapping it up properly,    wasn't his fault....it kept popping loose       and IMar started wondering if someone put graphite or WD-40 on it,        someone from Penn State,          or maybe, his thoughts wandered...someone on his own team, a traitor....like Benedict Arnold he thought...   or Jane Fonda,     "Man, she was hot when she was young," he opined to himself..............

Jane-Fonda-Young-Star.jpg

His go to underhook is exactly where Joseph wants to be. Just a bad match up style wise. Joseph seems to peak at the appropriate times.

Joseph is a one trick pony with the overhooks and inside trip.  Imar got sloppy and allowed Joseph to score 4pt on one maneuver and the match was over at that point.

Joseph is a one trick pony with the overhooks and inside trip.  Imar got sloppy and allowed Joseph to score 4pt on one maneuver and the match was over at that point.

If Joseph is a "One trick pony" then what is IMar?  He seems to have literally nothing other than the left arm underhook.

As mentioned above, it was the Joseph ability to cope with the underhook and even score from there with his own offense.   All credit to Cael for having his guy  ready and the opponent well scouted.     Shut down IMAR's offense and put him in position to win.       

As mentioned above, it was the Joseph ability to cope with the underhook and even score from there with his own offense.   All credit to Cael for having his guy  ready and the opponent well scouted.     Shut down IMAR's offense and put him in position to win.

Cael had nothing to do with Joseph beating Imar.

Joseph was already a stud coming out of high school.

Because Joseph was already a stud coming out of high school he was going to beat Imar because he was already better than him.

Cael doesnt develop great wrestlers. He just recruits them.

Joseph did it all by himself.