Sign in to follow this  
BDB50

Most NCAA champions from one state in one year??

It is often debated which state produces the most and best wrestlers. With that in mind has any state surpased the 6 National Champs produced by Pennsylvania at the 1988 NCAA tourny? They were Jack Cuvo @118 from East Stroudsburg State College/Easton,PA HS, Jimmy Martin @ 126 from Penn State University/Danville, PA HS, Pat Santoro @ 142 from Pitt/Bethlehem, PA Bethlehem Catholic HS, Scott Turner @ 150 from North Carolina State/Bethlehem, PA Bethlehem Freedom HS, Robb Koll @ 158 From University of North Carolina/State College, PA HS, and Carlton Haselrig @ HWT from University of Pitt-Johnstown/ Johnstown, PA HS (Note: Johnstown had no HS wrestling team, he did not wrestle a HS season and believe it took a petition of some kind to qualify him for the post season!!)

Hope there is a stats guy out there to see what state may have approached this accomplishment! Also PA produced 5 National Champs during the 1965 season and 4 National Champs during the 1957 and 1989 seasons.

At first glance i would be more impressed with those early OKie teams and certainly 5 from one school.....is just sick astonishing. I would be curious as to how many teams were in the nationals at that that time in that I'm from PA and my high school didn't even have HS wresting in the 40s!!

It seems Ohio may be set for a run at some hefty numbers with the Steibers and Tessari being threats the next few years and a number of highly touted OH recruits on board or coming!!

At first glance i would be more impressed with those early OKie teams and certainly 5 from one school.....is just sick astonishing. I would be curious as to how many teams were in the nationals at that that time in that I'm from PA and my high school didn't even have HS wresting in the 40s!!

It seems Ohio may be set for a run at some hefty numbers with the Steibers and Tessari being threats the next few years and a number of highly touted OH recruits on board or coming!!

-----

Don't have the exact #'s, but in the early era of collegiate wrestling (especially pre WWII), there were relatively few schools with wrestling. Okla St ran up a tremendous lead in team championships, individual champs and AA's in those years. Not to demean Okla St, as they are still a contender today, but I believe much of their early years' success was aided by rather limited participation by the rest of the country. I think western half of US had no schools with wrestling.

Look at an old ncaa bracket...1929. Okla St won the team title. At 115# Okla St had a guy in the finals. He got there by.... well, by receiving a bye. In the finals without having wrestled a match. There were only 3 contestants, one from Illinois and 2 from Oklahoma.

That kind of dominance - 5 guys from the same HS becoming national champions - that could happen in a much smaller tournament, but today? Don't see that ever happening again.

-----

Don't have the exact #'s, but in the early era of collegiate wrestling (especially pre WWII), there were relatively few schools with wrestling. Okla St ran up a tremendous lead in team championships, individual champs and AA's in those years. Not to demean Okla St, as they are still a contender today, but I believe much of their early years' success was aided by rather limited participation by the rest of the country. I think western half of US had no schools with wrestling.

Look at an old ncaa bracket...1926. Okla St won the team title. At 115# Okla St had a guy in the finals. He got there by.... well, by receiving a bye. In the finals without having wrestled a match. There were only 3 contestants, one from Illinois and 2 from Oklahoma.

That kind of dominance - 5 guys from the same HS becoming national champions - that could happen in a much smaller tournament, but today? Don't see that ever happening again.

Very true. Yes, they are still indisputably the greatest collegiate wrestling program ever, but the difference in the landscape back in the early years definitely needs to be mentioned when discussing their early success.

Ohio has had three champs three times.

This year with 4 wrestlers ranked top two, that number COULD be exceeded but....

There is no question that the competitive environment in college wrestling was very different in the post WWII era. The Oklahoma colleges dominated the sport and won over 50% of the individual titles.

In that era, Oklahoma high school wrestling was far better than any other state and the top wrestlers rarely left the state for college. Tulsa Central was the best program in the state and was coached by two Hall of Fame coaches, Art Griffith and Rex Perry.

"...That kind of dominance - 5 guys from the same HS becoming national champions - that could happen in a much smaller tournament, but today? Don't see that ever happening again."

In Michigan, Davison has produced in the past, but the immediate future may indeed belong to St. Johns, which produced 7 champs out of 8 finalists in the state tourney this past weekend and finished ranked only behind Blair, nationally. Only four of those finalists, Whitford and Hayden (both UMICH recruits), Pennell( MSU) and Schmitt (Northwestern) are seniors. Another St. Johns alum is frosh Taylor Massa at Michigan currently ranked in the top ten nationally. Taylor's little brother, sophomore Logan Massa, pinned his opponent in the finals.

Besides, Blair and St. Johns, Monroeville ain't been too shabby, recently, either! (Dunno what they have post Steibers and Tessari.)

1999 - 3 Californians won NCAA titles (and 1 of them won a FILA freestyle World Championship):

125: Stephen Abas, Fresno State

133: Eric Guerrero, OK State

285: Stephen Neal, CSU Bakersfield; 1999 freestyle World Champion 130kg

Abas and Guerrero would go on to represent the USA on multi World and Olympic teams (with Abas winning a Silver medal at the 2004 Athens games)

1982 - 3 Californians won NCAA titles (and 1 of them won a Bronze medal at the 1982 FILA freestyle World Championships):

126: Dan Cuestas, CSUB

167: Dave Shultz, Oklahoma; 1982 freestyle World Bronze medlaist 74kg

177: Mark Schultz, Oklahoma

The Schultz brothers, well, their post collegiate accomplishments speak for themsleves.

2001 - 3 more Californians that won NCAA titles:

125: Stephen Abas, Fresno State

149: Adam Tirapelle, Illinois

197: Mark Munoz, OK State

Adam is the head assistant (to his father, Steve) at Clovis High School, Clovis CA. Clovis just won their 3rd straight California State high school wrestling Championship (1 class, more than 900 high schools with almost 28,000 HS wrestlers in the State).

With recent losses by some top guys PA looks like it could sneak in with quite a few this year.

125 - Nico 25% chance

133 - No way

141 - Port/Henderson 15% chance (looks like it's Maple's but I could see there being a PA finalist)

149 - JO/Andrew Alton 99% chance

157 - Napoli/Fleming/Alton 60% (call me crazy but DSJ looks beatable and Alton looks FOCUSED after returning)

165 - No way

174 - Evans 25% chance

184 - Ruth/Bosak 99% chance

197 - Wright/Wilps 50% (Finalist likely and Kilgore had close ones against Hernandez (5-4) and Wilps (4-2))

HWT - McMullan 5% chance purely because he's a tourney gamer (Next year looks for promising for PA at HWT)

So it's 2 almost certainly, 3 or 4 highly possible, 5 or 6 possible, and a miracle for more in my opinion.

I have to admit I look at Michigan state championships with a skewed look since it is my understanding that they more classifications than almost any state. PA is divided into only 2 classes and A couple like California only has one classification. How many classes do they have in Michigan....3, 4.....more??

I have to admit I look at Michigan state championships with a skewed look since it is my understanding that they more classifications than almost any state. PA is divided into only 2 classes and A couple like California only has one classification. How many classes do they have in Michigan....3, 4.....more??

They have 4 but the St.Johns numbers above would be pretty close to the same if there were just 1 class.

State of IOWA had 4 champs in 49, 50, 66, and 87

Iowa is easily the 2nd best state for wrestling behind PA.

Lol, good one.

Name me a state better? And don't say NJ cause they are like 5th at best.

If NJ was 5th, they'd still be better. Take a look at total national champs and AA's over the past ten years. NJ, OH, PA, CA all ahead of IA. I don't even need to get to MN, IL, etc.

If NJ was 5th, they'd still be better. Take a look at total national champs and AA's over the past ten years. NJ, OH, PA, CA all ahead of IA. I don't even need to get to MN, IL, etc.

State Individuals Titles

Pennsylvania 55 73

Iowa 45 68

Oklahoma 34 50

Ohio 28 37

Illinois 26 30

New Jersey 25 39

California 25 36

New York 24 31

Oregon 15 21

Michigan 14 24

Wisconsin 12 17

Minnesota 9 11

Virginia 8 10

What makes the cutoff 10 years important? Do you have those numbers? Here are the titles from 1961-2011. As you can see, NJ has a long way to go.

"Iowa is easily the 2nd best state for wrestling behind PA."

As your evidence for Iowa's 2nd ranking is number of national D1 champs since 1961, there is no argument. Same with D1 AAs where Iowa holds a comfortable 37 wrestler margin over third place Ohio (since 1961).

But, this is a "legacy" argument based on results of a half-century. More recent trends (quarter-century) change the order a bit. It appears the same ten states have been top ten all along and still are, though I've seen arguments about OK vs. MO, OR, VA, etc. for inclusion in the top ten.

"Iowa is easily the 2nd best state for wrestling behind PA."

As your evidence for Iowa's 2nd ranking is number of national D1 champs since 1961, there is no argument. Same with D1 AAs where Iowa holds a comfortable 37 wrestler margin over third place Ohio (since 1961).

But, this is a "legacy" argument based on results of a half-century. More recent trends (quarter-century) change the order a bit. It appears the same ten states have been top ten all along and still are, though I've seen arguments about OK vs. MO, OR, VA, etc. for inclusion in the top ten.

I would have no problem if you wanted to say Ohio is the 2nd best more recently, but there is no way NJ is number 2.