Sign in to follow this  
rstrong

NCAA's OW = Bo Nickal (I picked Lee)

The is a difference between most valuable and outstanding for sure but the award is called OW correct? Lee was the most OW IMO.

I agree with Lee.  Was just pointing out a perspective that may have influenced voters, they may have considered valuable = outstanding.

I also liked what someone said in another thread about a possible dislike for Iowa by other coaches and previous recipients who voted-that is quite possible.

Another argument is that Bo pinned a Nat'l Champ in the finals...but then Lee also pinned a champ in the semis.

the OW should go to the wrestler that that makes you just say.......... WOW!.......... that was Spencer Lee and EVERYONE around me in the stands said basically that............ and I sit with VT. So no love lost for an Iowa kid.

Yanni CERTAINLY has a case as well.

Bo won because of putting PSU over the top. Congrats to him.

the OW should go to the wrestler that that makes you just say.......... WOW!.......... that was Spencer Lee and EVERYONE around me in the stands said basically that............ and I sit with VT. So no love lost for an Iowa kid.

Yanni CERTAINLY has a case as well.

Bo won because of putting PSU over the top. Congrats to him.

If the award goes  "to the wrestler that that makes you just say.......... WOW!" there's no question they gave it to the right guy.  There was a standing ovation lasting minutes after his pinfall in the finals with WOW! heard repeatedly.     

That said, since it's not  to the wrestler that that makes you just say.......... WOW!, I had Lee winning it.   He more made the section I was in say wowwwwwww......    

Sprinkles, we are talking about sprinkles.  14 wrestlers got their cupcakes Saturday night for winning the tournament.  They are 14 excellent wrestlers who worked hard, trained hard, believed in themselves, believed in their coaches, and went out and got their cupcake.  At the end of the night, Bo got sprinkles added to his.  That is what the OW award is, simply sprinkles on the cupcake.  There have been some OWs that I thought were obvious and great choices, there are some that were not clear cut and other wrestlers were in the mix.  

Anyway, if you has asked all of these champions what their personal goal was Wednesday going into the tournament, I can almost guarantee that none of them was to be the OW of the tournament.  They all simply wanted to be OW of their weight class, to be the champion.  They wanted their cupcake.  No one was really worried about the sprinkles the OW gets on his cupcake.

Sprinkles, we are talking about sprinkles.  14 wrestlers got their cupcakes Saturday night for winning the tournament.  They are 14 excellent wrestlers who worked hard, trained hard, believed in themselves, believed in their coaches, and went out and got their cupcake.  At the end of the night, Bo got sprinkles added to his.  That is what the OW award is, simply sprinkles on the cupcake.  There have been some OWs that I thought were obvious and great choices, there are some that were not clear cut and other wrestlers were in the mix.  

Anyway, if you has asked all of these champions what their personal goal was Wednesday going into the tournament, I can almost guarantee that none of them was to be the OW of the tournament.  They all simply wanted to be OW of their weight class, to be the champion.  They wanted their cupcake.  No one was really worried about the sprinkles the OW gets on his cupcake.

Yup, true that...my OW trophy is out in the garage being used to hang up extension cords.

Lee had the better tournament from start to finish, but Nickal is a deserving winner as he had the weight of the world on his shoulders in that final, and he executed.  The pressure on Lee doesn't compare.

If Martin had gotten the pin, tOSU would have won, and Martin almost certainly would have gotten OW -- and rightly so.

Some perspective on how Lee and Bo compared for the 2018 Outstanding Wrestler:

Lee: 27 Team pts (2 pins, 2 TF)
Nickal: 23 Team pts (1 pin, 1 major)
Lee: opponents:          Unr, 14, 6, 2, 4
Nickel: opponents:      Unr, 16, 9, 5, 2
Lee: Match points 60-4
Nickal: Match points 47-20

Both wrestlers pinned former national champions

Seems like Lee to me....

If the award goes  "to the wrestler that that makes you just say.......... WOW!" there's no question they gave it to the right guy.  There was a standing ovation lasting minutes after his pinfall in the finals with WOW! heard repeatedly.     

That said, since it's not  to the wrestler that that makes you just say.......... WOW!, I had Lee winning it.   He more made the section I was in say wowwwwwww......    

I can live with that line of thought

Lee had the better tournament from start to finish, but Nickal is a deserving winner as he had the weight of the world on his shoulders in that final, and he executed.  The pressure on Lee doesn't compare.

If Martin had gotten the pin, tOSU would have won, and Martin almost certainly would have gotten OW -- and rightly so.

that makes him the most valuable wrestler......... NOT the most outstanding wrestler...... imo

Historically, about 38% of the time, the MOW has been won by a wrestler on the championship team.  And, as we all know, Bo pinned a former national champ in the finals - sealing the championship for the Lions.  Moreover, had their roles been reversed (i.e., Martin pinning Bo for a tOSU NCAA team title), Martin would likely have been a strong candidate for the award (as BAC correctly opined).

Obviously, the MOW is based on more than just a match-by-match comparison of the respective candidates' performances throughout the tournament - as outlined by mistydawn above.  While the aforementioned poster argues that those statistics add perspective, it can be viably counter-argued that misty's analysis actually lacks perspective.  In short, what may very well stand out in our memory of the 2018 finals, is Bo's dramatic finals' pin - which made the difference in the team championship.  Although Lee may have had a better marginal overall record, none of his matches had the significance of Bo's finals match against Martin.

Based on the above, I think the coaches made the right selection.  There's always going to be some subjectivity in the MOW - unless its reduced to a simple mathematical formula (like the NCAA most dominate award) - which I certainly am not advocating.  

Edited by HurricaneWrestling

Historically, about 38% of the time, the MOW has been won by a wrestler on the championship team.  And, as we all know, Bo pinned a former national champ in the finals - sealing the championship for the Lions.  Moreover, had their roles been reversed (i.e., Martin pinning Bo for a tOSU NCAA team title), Martin would likely have been a strong candidate for the award (as BAC correctly opined).

Obviously, the MOW is based on more than just a match-by-match comparison of the respective candidates' performances throughout the tournament - as outlined by mistydawn above.  While the aforementioned poster argues that those statistics add perspective, it can be viably counter-argued that misty's analysis actually lacks perspective.  In short, what may very well stand out in our memory of the 2018 finals, is Bo's dramatic finals' pin - which made the difference in the team championship.  Although Lee may have had a better marginal overall record, none of his matches had the significance of Bo's finals match against Martin.

Based on the above, I think the coaches made the right selection.  There's always going to be some subjectivity in the MOW - unless its reduced to a simple mathematical formula (like the NCAA most dominate award) - which I certainly am not advocating.  

The award is for the most outstanding wrestler - which was neither Bo or, hypotheticall, Martin. You're simply arguing that "most outstanding" actually means "most valuable." Nice try - but we all know those are two very different concepts. If you're not a lawyer, you should consider law school - you're a natural.

Edited by headache