Sign in to follow this  
Old Corps

Kyle Snyder vs Lou Banach?

For those of us fortunate enough to watch Lou Banach, we remember how, while weighing 220lbs or so, he routinely physically dominated men even heavier and stronger than Adam Coon. 

Snyder reminds me a lot of Lou.

Even considering the advances in technique, etc., I'd give Lou the edge in this dream match-up.

I think he'd set a pace that would eventually wear Snyder down. His gas tank among the big guys of then and now would still rank near or at the top of the list.

Not trying to start any trouble with this post; just want to see what others think would happen if these titans were ever able to wrestle each other.

Edited by Old Corps

For those of us fortunate enough to watch Lou Banach, we remember how, while weighing 220lbs or so, he routinely physically dominated men even heavier and stronger than Adam Coon. 

Snyder reminds me a lot of Lou.

Even considering the advances in technique, etc., I'd give Lou the edge in this dream match-up.

I think he'd set a pace that would eventually wear Snyder down. His gas tank among the big guys of then and now would still rank near or at the top of the list.

Not trying to start any trouble with this post; just want to see what others think would happen if these titans were ever able to wrestle each other.

I've got Kyle taking him down and letting him up.Banach was a beast, but never won a world title in a class with a Russian in it (84 Olympics was relatively weak).  Banach also never won a world title while still in college, let alone as a freshman. 

Honestly the only way an old time HWT beats Kyle is turning him somehow. 

Snyder controls the ties gets the TD's in folkstyle. 6-3 8-5 or something like that. Banach's best chance would be to win the first match. If he could every match after would be Snyder's. He adjusts really really well.

Tech or near to it in freestyle.

Lou pinned Baumgartner (260), Thacker (410), Dr. Death Williams (265) and overwhelmed Severn, and Cole and  even decisioned Shelton (400).. I pick Banach.... too fluid and aggressive.

Those are amazing wins.But why couldn't he win a world title? At his own weight? Snyder, Varner and Cael all beat Lou in my opinion.  

Lou is a high level bank executive in Wiscosnin, Ed was an athletic administrator at Iowa State, brother Steve is a retired Army Ranger colonel who led the first assault troops into Afghanistan after 911. They have written a book called "Uncommon Bonds." BTW,  Lou never tried out for a World team.

Those are amazing wins.But why couldn't he win a world title? At his own weight? Snyder, Varner and Cael all beat Lou in my opinion.  

Probably because he had Greg Gibson and Dan Severn to contend with who were all World Medalists during the same time period. I agree that Lou set a tremendous pace and wore people out. Not only strong but very technical (also had a mean streak that made him very dangerous).

I've got Kyle taking him down and letting him up.Banach was a beast, but never won a world title in a class with a Russian in it (84 Olympics was relatively weak). Banach also never won a world title while still in college, let alone as a freshman.

Honestly the only way an old time HWT beats Kyle is turning him somehow.

I think it's important to note that there are no longer just one Russian in each bracket as well, but four or five. The break up of USSR made winning a gold medal much more difficult.

I don't think there is any heavyweight under 240lbs in NCAA history that I'd favor over Snyder in folkstyle. 

Against Lou Banach, I'd pick Snyder by major.  Comparing their ability to beat oversized heavyweights isn't particularly relevant, as they had different styles.  Lou's was more upper-body oriented, and with his mobility he caught a lot of big guys off balance.  Snyder's is based almost entirely on leg shots, which is tough to execute against a wall like Coon.  But as against each other, Snyder would be a terrible matchup for Banach.  Banach, who has a decent number of career losses (well over 10), never had very good leg defense.  Absent a flukish throw, Snyder would never let Lou work his upper body stuff, and would pick him apart on his feet.

Honestly I see this as a total mismatch.