Sign in to follow this  
TBar1977

Dapper Dan is this Sunday

Started at 220. USA won 220 and Hwt. with Gable Steveson getting a major. USA leads 7-0.

120 match Jaret Lane PA pinned Kyle Biscoglia Iowa to get the score to 7-6. 

120 match #2 (weird) Logan Macri just took down Patrick McKee. Still early in this match. McKee 6-4 over Macri. 10-6 USA leads. 

132 Jack Davis Wyo Sem vs. Real Woods Montini Catholic IL. Bader said Davis has a win over Woods this year, but this match is all Woods in the 3rd as he leads 8-0. Davis nearly cradles him but Woods bails out and gives up the TD. It ends 9-2. USA 13 - 6 over PA. 

138 Cole Matthews Reynolds, PA vs Ohio State recruit Quinn Kinner from NJ. Matthews trapped Kinner on his back in a wild scramble. It is scored 2 and 2 and he leads Kinner 4-1 after 1. Kinner seems tall for the weight. Room to grow I think at Ohio State. 4-4 late in the 2nd period now. Kinner is a strong leg rider, period ends 4-4. Matthews chooses down. Matthews ESC with 30 seconds left wins it 5-4. USA leads 13-9. Kinner is a real nice leg rider and very sticky from top. 

149 Sammy Sasso , PA vs Brock Hardy Utah Sasso, also headed to Ohio State, leads 5-0 after 1 period. TD = 3 nearfall. Hardy is a 4x Utah State Champ, Sasso 2x in PIAA. So far this is all Sasso. Hardy with a nice blast double now. And Hardy with 3 nearfall, so now it is 7-6 Sasso. Third period begins. Hardy with the reversal, then very close to nearfall but nothing, then very late sasso with the reversal to win it 9-8. USA leads 13-12.

155 David Carr, OH vs Zac Hartmann, Belle Vernon, PA Carr is a heavy favorite here. Carr is too good and he wins it 14-8. USA leads 16-12.

160 Shane Griffith, NJ vs Caleb Clymer, PA I think I  remember Griffith winning OW at Jersey States one year. Clymer is going to wrestle at Maryland. Not sure where Griffith is headed. Griffith is too sound, too quick and too strong and he takes this one 12-4 for the major. USA leads 20-12. 

170 lbs. Travis Wittlake, Oregon vs Trent Hidlay, PA. Wittlake to OSU and Hidlay to NC State. Wittlake has beaten Hidlay in free. Wittlake is the one guy I have seen the past 2 years get the better of World Cadet Champ Aaron Brooks. 0-0 after 1 period. Hidlay ESC, tremendous  at quick go behind for the flash TD, then another ESC, Wittlake almost with another TD but time runs out,  2-2 after 2 periods. Wittlake ESC and then he gets a late TD from an over under position to win 5-2. USA leads 23-12. 

182 lbs. Cody Mulligan, PA vs Jack Jesson, IL 0-0 after 1. Jessen ESC, Mulligan TD, Jessen ESC makes it 2-2. Mulligan almost with the go behind, but no. 2-2 after 2. Mulligan ESC, then a Mulligan TD on a re shot. 5-2 now. Less than a minute to go. Mulligan riding hard, re start now. 34 seconds remain. Mulligan rides out and it ends 5-2. USA leads 23-15.

195 lbs. Gavin Hoffman, PA vs. Brandon Whitman, Michigan. Whitman is a big kid. Hoffman had a real nice shot and Whitman sprawled and dang near just powered thru and over Hoffman. But nothing. Hoffman's aggression tapers off. 0-0 after 1. Hoffman ESC, 1-0. Both wrestlers with 1 good shot and both sequences seem to favor Whitman, but no score each time. 1-0 after 2 periods. Whitman ESC. 1-1 now. Whitman almost converts, but again nothing. And Hoffman gets the score with 24 seconds to go. ESC Whitman. 3-2 final. Great match. USA leads 23-18. 

132 Gavin Teasdale vs Patrick Glory

Teasdale beats Glory 5-4 on the strength of 2 TD's and 1 ESC to 1 TD and 2 ESC. Tons of action and scrambles in this match. most of them being far ankle passes and all that entails. Reports of Gavin Teasdale's demise have been greatly exaggerated. 

USA wins it 23-21.

Not a bad showing from PA considering the state is "down".  

Edited by TBar1977

When did the wrestlers that attend a PA prep school and wrestle in the National Prep School Tournament begin to represent Team PA?  

It isn't common.  The only other time I can remember it happening was Eric Morris for Sem a few years ago.  I don't think they'd consider someone who wrestles for a  PA prep school but isn't from PA, nor would they consider a PA native who wrestles for a non-PA prep school; those guys can only qualify for the U.S. team.  Even a PA prep school kid who hails from PA probably wouldn't be chosen for the PA team over a senior PIAA state champ if all else is equal.  This year it probably helped that Jack Davis is a Pitt commit, as the event is held in Pitt's gym.

Edited by BAC

It isn't common.  The only other time I can remember it happening was Eric Morris for Sem a few years ago.  I don't think they'd consider someone who wrestles for a  PA prep school but isn't from PA, nor would they consider a PA native who wrestles for a non-PA prep school; those guys can only qualify for the U.S. team.  Even a PA prep school kid who hails from PA probably wouldn't be chosen for the PA team over a senior PIAA state champ if all else is equal.  This year it probably helped that Jack Davis is a Pitt commit, as the event is held in Pitt's gym.

There are at least two more that I can think of. Terrance Jean Jacques wrestled from Sem about 7 or 8 years ago, and Evan Henderson from Kiski Prep wrestled at around the same time. Henderson beat Cam Tessari.

There are at least two more that I can think of. Terrance Jean Jacques wrestled from Sem about 7 or 8 years ago, and Evan Henderson from Kiski Prep wrestled at around the same time. Henderson beat Cam Tessari.

Good memory.  Now that I think about it, I believe Brock Livorio from Kiski Prep competed a few years back too?  May have been on the undercard. 

How did Patrick Mckee look?  Thanks in advance.

He won so he looked pretty good for that reason alone. He's got some hype to his wrestling and I'm not sure I witnessed what I thought I might see if that makes sense. He looked pretty good though. PA surprised me as the early aggressor in the match. 

Edited by TBar1977

Henderson and Livorio both wrestled at PIAA schools before transferring to Kiski Prep, which is right in the WPIAL. ......    McKee looked good but Macri hung with him, 6-4 match and it was competitive.