Sign in to follow this  
BigTenFanboy

Rewind to 2010.. If Cael didn't come to PSU, who would you have liked to see be the HC.

Sunderland

That's funny.  I was posting stats on why he should be gone on the old forum back in the 2003-2004 time frame.

Of the others posted, Koll made sense to me since he wrestled for State College HS and his dad was a former PSU head coach. 

The only question is would he have won only 7 out of the last 8 like Cael - or would he have gone 8 for 8?

Fans will always wonder if Cael was the right pick over Jammen - but I quess we'll never know for sure...

Ha. How true. If Cael could only coach they would have had that missing year. It's so sad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark Schultz.

In reality, before Cael Sanderson left Iowa State to coach Penn State they were a good team but nowhere was anyone contemplating them becoming world beaters as they are now. I don't believe it would have mattered who they hired. At best Tom Ryan takes over and they are in the same boat as the Ohio State University team is now. Very good but still pursuing a Cael Sanderson coached team. At ISU Sanderson would have a very good team but no way 7 titles in the same time span.

For one and all Sanderson and Penn State is "the perfect storm". Much the same as Dan Gable and Iowa - with a good amount of credit for that going to Gary Kurdelmeier for his hiring Dan Gable and turning the program over to him. Gary already had it started and Gable was a "Perfect Storm" for Iowa.

Before the "Cael really isn't that good" crowd starts in. Yes, he is. After Gable we see two very good coaches come and have major success and then taper off. Two of them. Nine years in at Penn State and Sanderson's program shows no signs of tapering off. His record does show he really is "that Good".

I'm curious why people believe Sanderson couldn't replicate the same had he stayed at ISU? His recruits come from all over the country, negated the idea that it's just about the PA boys. His lowest national tournament finish as a head coach was 9th, his first year at PSU, negating the idea that the foundation was already there. The PA boys he has gotten recently, would they be at PSU if not for Sanderson? So again I ask, why is it that he couldn't have replicated the same at ISU? The program kinda has a history, and the state is kind of a wrestling state. So...??

I'm curious why people believe Sanderson couldn't replicate the same had he stayed at ISU? His recruits come from all over the country, negated the idea that it's just about the PA boys. His lowest national tournament finish as a head coach was 9th, his first year at PSU, negating the idea that the foundation was already there. The PA boys he has gotten recently, would they be at PSU if not for Sanderson? So again I ask, why is it that he couldn't have replicated the same at ISU? The program kinda has a history, and the state is kind of a wrestling state. So...??

He is smack dab in the epicenter of most of the wrestling talent in the country right now, so even when he goes out to a Texas, Cali, or Minnesota kid and offers that kid is going to believe the remaining roster will be chock full of studs. He probably could have done all this at ISU just because he's Cael Freaking Sanderson, but we will never know. 

Ruth was a Sunderland recruit on RS Cael's first year, Wright was on RS. He also inherited Molinaro. His PA National Champs are Zain, Nolf, Joseph, Ruth, Mega, Wright

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Tim Flynn - Edinboro does a great a job of supporting wrestling for a smaller school, but I would have loved to see what he could have done with the resources at his alma mater. While he has had some ups and downs over the years, I think he has done a great job of developing talent, shining diamonds, and his wrestlers seem to peak at the end of the year. I realize he has deep roots in the community, a family that is happy where they are, and a variety of business interests there so I saw Penn State as one of the very few jobs he would consider. 

Edited by KSchlosser

Ruth was a Sunderland recruit on RS Cael's first year, Wright was on RS. He also inherited Molinaro. His PA National Champs are Zain, Nolf, Joseph, Ruth, Mega, Wright

Valid and understood, but my point is if he's at ISU is he not in the running for those guys? That's why I said are they at PSU if he's not there. I have a feeling not.

It is defiantly a we'll never know situation. I just don't see how so many can say definitively he wouldn't have been able to build the same program at ISU. Maybe not, I guess I'm just at...why not?

Valid and understood, but my point is if he's at ISU is he not in the running for those guys? That's why I said are they at PSU if he's not there. I have a feeling not.

It is defiantly a we'll never know situation. I just don't see how so many can say definitively he wouldn't have been able to build the same program at ISU. Maybe not, I guess I'm just at...why not?

Cael is a great coach and I think he definitely wins a title or titles at ISU but PSU is a different animal. It's like Nick Saban before and after Alabama imo. He was a great coach with an NC without Alabama but at Alabama he's almost unstoppable.