Sign in to follow this  
gowrestle

Penn State Next Year

1. They will be much improved at 125 & 133.

2. Nick Lee will be better and more confident.

2. Zain’s replacement will be very good.

3. Rasheed and Cesar will battle at 197. Whoever wins will be real tough.

4. Nevills will place.

5. Nolf, Joseph, Hall, Bo.......

Better than this year?

I have to believe so.    They are just absolutely loaded top to bottom.     This team is going to take it up a notch.       I can see an additional  20 points from what they did this past weekend. I can see them putting 7 in the semi finals.   

Nolf

Joseph

Hall

Nickal these guys will be in the semis and beyond

Lee needs just a little better performance and he's a semi finalist

Rasheed/Cassar - one of them is going to reach the semi final

Nevills - I'm not super confident here, but he's close.  He needs to keep working and get over the hump.  He can be top 4 and he can reach the semis.    We'll see.  

Then you have 125, 133, and 149.   There's going to be some points scored there between those guys.   I don't like expecting too much from the frosh guys a year prior to the tournament, so I wont get into too much specific other than  with the room  and the coaching they have, plus the leadership that seems to drive these guys to outstanding efforts in March, I expect to  see some points from them.     This will be the best team they've put on the mat to date.      

125 and 133 will probably be tough weights again next year, so it might be trial by fire for the TFs coming in. Verk will have some big shoes to fill. I still don't see how or where Manville fits into the lineup next year. Shak needs to eat and lift, tighten up his neutral game, add to his cradle game and possibly rethink his haircut (or go full Askren/Fix). Cassar needs to rehab and stay healthy - is he being plagued by legacy injuries?

Nolf-Kimmer will be epic when they are hopefully fully healed and good to go next season. Kem will continue to improve with Perry and IMart in the room and could close the gap, but then again we're talking about Jason Nolf and it's really difficult to imagine anyone matching up with him.

Similar with Cenzo-Marinelli... Marinelli will be off the knee brace and have some good training partners. Massa, Wick, Campbell, White are also threats will make for a rough B1G dual season. They could end up beating each other up and open up tourney seeding for someone like Chance, Hidlay (if he moves up) or JoJo/Rogers.

They will lose the 25 Zain scored, so how do they get them back? If things go very right they could do it. 

125 they go from scoring 0 to scoring 3 / +3 pts

133 they go from scoring 0.5 to scoring 4.5 / +4 pts

141 they go from scoring 11.5 to scoring 13.5 / +2 points for winning two more match by major or getting 1 pin

149 I reduced their score by 25 above. I figure Berge or Verk score 11.5 pts

157 Nolf when healthy scored 28 in 2017, he scored 23 in 2018, he scores 28 this time / +5 points

165 Joseph scored 21, give him 23 next year / +2pts

174 Hall scored 20.5 while placing 2nd, but Zahid moves up to 184 and Hall goes WILD scoring 28 pts / +7.5pts

184 Bo is Bo. He beats Zahid by FALL in the final on his way to scoring 26.5 pts / +3.5pts

197 Rasheed scored 9.5 this year, next year either he or Cassar finishes 2nd and they get 18 pts / +8.5pts

Hwt Nevills scored 8.5 this year, next year he takes 2nd or 3rd with 13 to 16 pts / +5.5 to 8.5

That is 52.5 to 55.5 pts to replace Zain's 25. They'd blow this year's score out of the arena. Now, having everything go right is pretty far fetched, but is it possible? Yes, in the world of anything's possible, its possible. 

Pamela,

Correct on Shak. Needs be bigger. Like that he developed boot skoot takedown.

Must tighten up convential neutral defense. Back to basics there.

Where does Manville fit???

This team is better next year then this year. Very Scary

Edited by cangemi

Zahid beats nickal soundly in my mind (he's already done it in free). Wether he goes 174 or 184 I have him picked to win it.

Soundly? I don't know about that, in scholastic I'd go with Nickal. Martin has a ton of horsepower and athleticism, doesn't seem to bother Nickal much or change his game plan. I think Zahid is a big 174 compared to Hall and that helps him, Hall also is capable of beating him. Zahid won't have a horsepower edge over Nickal, and I see Nickals length and leverage negating lots of Zahid's offense. Of course I think either "could" come away with a win at this point in time. 

Zahid beats nickal soundly in my mind (he's already done it in free). Wether he goes 174 or 184 I have him picked to win it.

If Zahid and his coaches were as confident as you are, he would have been at 184 this year. What normal person would want to pull weight all season if the same level of success was available at the higher weight class. Also, then his brother could have a normal life!

If Zahid and his coaches were as confident as you are, he would have been at 184 this year. What normal person would want to pull weight all season if the same level of success was available at the higher weight class. Also, then his brother could have a normal life!

Ever think he might have wanted another shot at Hall? Can't imagine losing on a headgear grab sat well with Zahid over the summer... 

Do any of the PSU faithful want to post their 2019 and 2020 lineup projections?  

125 Teasdale (Teske still not yet strong enough)

133 Roman Bravo Young

141 Nick Lee (unless the other teams go all redshirt in which case PSU can then redshirt Nick Lee)

149 Brady Berge or Jarod Verkleeren

157 Nolf

165 Cenzo

174 Hall

184 Nickal

197 Cassar or Rasheed

Hwt Nick Nevills

125 Brody Teske 

133 Teasdale (RBY shirts)

141 Nick Lee

149 Verkleeren

157 Berge

165 Cenzo

174 Hall

184 Aaron Brooks

197 Cassar or Michael Beard

Hwt Seth Nevills

125 Teasdale (Teske still not yet strong enough)

133 Roman Bravo Young

141 Nick Lee (unless the other teams go all redshirt in which case PSU can then redshirt Nick Lee)

149 Brady Berge or Jarod Verkleeren

157 Nolf

165 Cenzo

174 Hall

184 Nickal

197 Cassar or Rasheed

Hwt Nick Nevills

125 Brody Teske 

133 Teasdale (RBY shirts)

141 Nick Lee

149 Verkleeren

157 Berge

165 Cenzo

174 Hall

184 Aaron Brooks

197 Cassar or Michael Beard

Hwt Seth Nevills

Thanks.  Damn those are tough.  I keep forgetting Brooks committed.  Depending on how good Teasdale and RBY are from the jump, it might not be an option to redshirt Lee next year.  Iowa could potentially score ~120... PSU probably ~140 again with Lee in the lineup. Without him it could get close.  Suppose they could use a wait-and-see approach though.  

They will lose the 25 Zain scored, so how do they get them back? If things go very right they could do it. 

125 they go from scoring 0 to scoring 3 / +3 pts

133 they go from scoring 0.5 to scoring 4.5 / +4 pts

141 they go from scoring 11.5 to scoring 13.5 / +2 points for winning two more match by major or getting 1 pin

149 I reduced their score by 25 above. I figure Berge or Verk score 11.5 pts

157 Nolf when healthy scored 28 in 2017, he scored 23 in 2018, he scores 28 this time / +5 points

165 Joseph scored 21, give him 23 next year / +2pts

174 Hall scored 20.5 while placing 2nd, but Zahid moves up to 184 and Hall goes WILD scoring 28 pts / +7.5pts

184 Bo is Bo. He beats Zahid by FALL in the final on his way to scoring 26.5 pts / +3.5pts

197 Rasheed scored 9.5 this year, next year either he or Cassar finishes 2nd and they get 18 pts / +8.5pts

Hwt Nevills scored 8.5 this year, next year he takes 2nd or 3rd with 13 to 16 pts / +5.5 to 8.5

That is 52.5 to 55.5 pts to replace Zain's 25. They'd blow this year's score out of the arena. Now, having everything go right is pretty far fetched, but is it possible? Yes, in the world of anything's possible, its possible. 

Looks good.   Myself, I've got Valencia over Nickal.   I've seen that single to the right side he drops in on work to perfection vs Bo.    I don't see that stopping.     Regardless, this team (barring injury or homesickness) should be the very best Cael has produced.   The Oklahoma state squad should be nasty and could be the 2nd best team in the country.     Iowa should push Ohio State for 3rd.    

Couple of the Zahid bouts vs Nickal and Martin

https://www.flowrestling.org/video/5614634-84-kg-final---bo-nickal-psu-vs-zahid-valencia-asu

https://www.flowrestling.org/video/5614649-84-kg-final---zahid-valencia-asu-vs-bo-nickal-psu-match-2

Edited by Cletus_Tucker

Thanks.  Damn those are tough.  I keep forgetting Brooks committed.  Depending on how good Teasdale and RBY are from the jump, it might not be an option to redshirt Lee next year.  Iowa could potentially score ~120... PSU probably ~140 again with Lee in the lineup. Without him it could get close.  Suppose they could use a wait-and-see approach though.  

Mason Manville, Joe Lee and Adam Busiello will also be on that 2020 roster. That squad will be loaded just as the others have been. I could see a senior dominated Ohio State being tough to beat, though, if they take the redshirt everyone in 2019 approach. Iowa will also be tough that year, but they have less room for error right now, just imo.

Ever think he might have wanted another shot at Hall? Can't imagine losing on a headgear grab sat well with Zahid over the summer...

That’s a possibility but a good coach encourages his wrestler to go after the title, not a specific opponent. I think Zahid wants no part of Nickal. Wouldn’t it be interesting if Bo went up to 197 next year and Rasheed went to 184?

I might sound pretty stupid...but next year will be the best chance for Iowa in some time to win the whole enchilada. PSU loses Zain, OSU loses NATO/Snyder. Iowa was pretty young, and it's youngsters did quite well for themselves. Not saying the Hawkeyes will win, just that they have their best shot in awhile.

I might sound pretty stupid...but next year will be the best chance for Iowa in some time to win the whole enchilada. PSU loses Zain, OSU loses NATO/Snyder. Iowa was pretty young, and it's youngsters did quite well for themselves. Not saying the Hawkeyes will win, just that they have their best shot in awhile.

So no shot?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe the season after next too, after Nolf, Nickal and CasShak are gone and Kimmer, Lugo and Cash are seniors and Lee, Warner, Marinelli, Brands and some of the other young guys have some more solid D1 wrestling under their belt. The thing about next season is that Iowa will still be pretty young and I think Stoll will be the only senior leader on the team, fwiw.

This year was supposedly going to be a down year for the Hawkeyes with only Sorensen and Kemmerer as their returning AA's. But with the addition of Marinelli and of course pulling Spencer out of Red Shirt, along with Stoll finally staying healthy the Hawkeyes were able to do a better than initially expected.

But even with Lee, Kemmerer, Marinelli, and Stoll returning, they will still need to plug up some holes in their lineup.

Looking at their projected line up for Iowa next year:

125 Lee

133?

141 Turk, Happle or Murin

149 Lugo

157 Kemmerer

165 Marinelli

174 Gunther?

184 Bowman, Wilcke

197 Warner, Wilcke

Hwt Stoll

This line up features the Champ, and three other AA's. Which is pretty solid and any coach would be happy to have four returning AA's on it. But when it comes to Penn St, and Ohio St. It's still going to be tough sledding.

Now if we project forward and say that all of the returning Hawkeyes AA again, and even say Lee wins the title again next year, as well as Warner, Wilcke, Lugo, and Turk all AA, next year should tighten things up. But will it be enough? Ohio St. looks to have five AA's returning, along with a couple of solid guys in Hayes, and Campbell. As well as a top prospect in Romero. So you could project and say they will have 8 AA's next year.

Penn St. outside of Zain, will once again be loaded to the gills.