Sign in to follow this  
gowrestle

Penn State Next Year

Maybe the season after next too, after Nolf, Nickal and CasShak are gone and Kimmer, Lugo and Cash are seniors and Lee, Warner, Marinelli, Brands and some of the other young guys have some more solid D1 wrestling under their belt. The thing about next season is that Iowa will still be pretty young and I think Stoll will be the only senior leader on the team, fwiw.

Good point. Year after next might be the sweet spot for Iowa.

Here's a good article regarding new Penn State recruits coming in next season.  It's looking pretty good for the future of the program:

http://www.centredaily.com/sports/college/penn-state-university/psu-wrestling/article203835249.html

Pffft. Losers.

Seems insane to give up a state title like Nick Lee's brother did! Skipped his Sr year to train with PSU wrestling club. I'd have definitely tried for the 3-peat if I was him.

Edited by TobusRex

Here's a good article regarding new Penn State recruits coming in next season.  It's looking pretty good for the future of the program:

http://www.centredaily.com/sports/college/penn-state-university/psu-wrestling/article203835249.html

As good as Hoffman was at PIAA, Beard was equally dominating at Walsh Ironman and National Prep Schools. Beard, Hoffman and Warner are going to have some epic battles in college. 

As good as Hoffman was at PIAA, Beard was equally dominating at Walsh Ironman and National Prep Schools. Beard, Hoffman and Warner are going to have some epic battles in college. 

Hoffman did beat Beard in close match. As you mentioned, those three are all incredible, but I've got to think Hoffman has the higher ceiling. Coming from a small AA school with very limited practice partners, you have to think he could make huge improvements in a college room. 

Back to topic, I think PSU could definitely be as good or better than this year. A lot depends on the unproven in 125, 133, and 149. I am not sold on Teasdale coming right in and being competitive at NCAAs. I would think maybe 1-2 or 2-2 at best for him. I could see RBY coming right in as an AA threat. Can Verk hold 149? I don't really know much about how he and/or Berge did against top competition. Could they AA next year? 

Hoffman did beat Beard in close match. As you mentioned, those three are all incredible, but I've got to think Hoffman has the higher ceiling. Coming from a small AA school with very limited practice partners, you have to think he could make huge improvements in a college room. 

Hemay be from a AA school, but he's been working out with Quentin Wright for quite some time now already. His improvement over the last year has been huge. No doubt he is a stud. 

Back to topic, I think PSU could definitely be as good or better than this year. A lot depends on the unproven in 125, 133, and 149. I am not sold on Teasdale coming right in and being competitive at NCAAs. I would think maybe 1-2 or 2-2 at best for him. I could see RBY coming right in as an AA threat. Can Verk hold 149? I don't really know much about how he and/or Berge did against top competition. Could they AA next year? 

Verk lost to Prince from Navy that I saw at Scuffle. Berge lost to De Angelo from Princeton the first wknd of the season. 

Hemay be from a AA school, but he's been working out with Quentin Wright for quite some time now already. His improvement over the last year has been huge. No doubt he is a stud. 

Didn't know that... that makes sense. 

Verk lost to Prince from Navy that I saw at Scuffle. Berge lost to De Angelo from Princeton the first wknd of the season. 

That doesn't sound too promising... I think your 11.5 NCAA points at 149 may be a little too high

Didn't know that... that makes sense. 

That doesn't sound too promising... I think your 11.5 NCAA points at 149 may be a little too high

Not too worried. Berge lost at 157 to a big 157 in DeAngelo. Verk looked good in a lot of matches before losing to Prince. They should be improve by this time next year. 

Cenzo is built like a fire hydrant? What exactly does that mean? And I’m being serious because he’s not very muscular.

He's got thick powerful legs/hips. He's muscular in the upper body too, but not on an insane Honeycutt or Machiovello level.

Check this pic out and you'll see what I mean.

https://www.roarlionsroar.com/penn-state-wrestling/2018/03/3916/vincenzo-joseph-ncaa-championship

Edited by TobusRex

Looked at that pic. If he’s 5’7 that frame doesn’t look anywhere near a 174. If he was 5’10-11 then maybe.

I thought he looked taller than 5'7", but I have no idea what his height is. Weird that wrestler's heights are rarely mentioned, huh?

If TOSU couldn't get it done this year it may be a long while, and even if it's not I favor Cael's style of coaching and results to Ryan's all day long. I know I'm not exactly going out on a limb there, but it's more a gut feeling about Cael's demeanor that produces, and recruits wanting to wrestle for a gold medalist and the only undefeated 4 x champ. As I've aid earlier Ryan is sort of the hyped up Austin Desanto version of a coach( minus the cheap shots) Cael is seemingly always in better control, there is something to be said for that calm demeanor being translated into confidence to his wrestlers. 

If TOSU couldn't get it done this year it may be a long while, and even if it's not I favor Cael's style of coaching and results to Ryan's all day long. I know I'm not exactly going out on a limb there, but it's more a gut feeling about Cael's demeanor that produces, and recruits wanting to wrestle for a gold medalist and the only undefeated 4 x champ. As I've aid earlier Ryan is sort of the hyped up Austin Desanto version of a coach( minus the cheap shots) Cael is seemingly always in better control, there is something to be said for that calm demeanor being translated into confidence to his wrestlers. 

Ryan is old school, WE WILL WIN BECAUSE WE WILL WRESTLE HARDER AND HAVE A COOL SLOGAN. Sanderson is a more of a "you are up?" Well go out there, we know what this guy does, do your thing, have some fun, and get it done." If they lose, send them on their way, as no wrestler at this level who has lost a match is interested in advice for awhile. Then it is; "are you up?"...... Sanderson is more about the match by match, and the process (John Wooden anyone), then any specific match and tournament. Even the NCAA's. Gable could do the Ryan approach, but Ryan is not Gable. Nor is any other wrestling coach, ever.

125 Teasdale (Teske still not yet strong enough)

133 Roman Bravo Young

141 Nick Lee (unless the other teams go all redshirt in which case PSU can then redshirt Nick Lee)

149 Brady Berge or Jarod Verkleeren

157 Nolf

165 Cenzo

174 Hall

184 Nickal

197 Cassar or Rasheed

Hwt Nick Nevills

125 Brody Teske 

133 Teasdale (RBY shirts)

141 Nick Lee

149 Verkleeren

157 Berge

165 Cenzo

174 Hall

184 Aaron Brooks

197 Cassar or Michael Beard

Hwt Seth Nevills

Like your line up! I have the same except 125--watching Teas in person and watching Teske on video-I think Teske closer to being ready strength wise. He has a very physical style. Im not sure Teas ever see's 125 in college. I got from a pretty good source that 126 was a tough cut,

with that said, it could be the way he cuts/maintains weight could be improved by the PSU staff. So I think Teas RS frosh year.

I also think there might be a move to make room for Mason--just a hunch

125 Teasdale (Teske still not yet strong enough)

133 Roman Bravo Young

141 Nick Lee (unless the other teams go all redshirt in which case PSU can then redshirt Nick Lee)

149 Brady Berge or Jarod Verkleeren

157 Nolf

165 Cenzo

174 Hall

184 Nickal

197 Cassar or Rasheed

Hwt Nick Nevills

125 Brody Teske 

133 Teasdale (RBY shirts)

141 Nick Lee

149 Verkleeren

157 Berge

165 Cenzo

174 Hall

184 Aaron Brooks

197 Cassar or Michael Beard

Hwt Seth Nevills

1. They will be much improved at 125 & 133.

2. Nick Lee will be better and more confident.

2. Zain’s replacement will be very good.

3. Rasheed and Cesar will battle at 197. Whoever wins will be real tough.

4. Nevills will place.

5. Nolf, Joseph, Hall, Bo.......

Better than this year?

I think a little bit.  Definitely spreading the risk.