Sign in to follow this  
Angry_Fish

Snyder to WWE?

I hope this is a joke. I know it’s a free country and Snyder can do whatever he chooses, but I hate the optics of this.

Hate it even if it is done in parallel with his real wrestling career.

dc6bd709ceba637666d4a13abd12d284.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maserati’s are overrated. I’d take the Ford.

Not so fast, my friend.....yea it's pretty much a Ferrari, but the Maserati MC12 runs circles around any Ford.  

729_486_57a240b82df89.jpg

I want Snyder to be in the media.  He's fun to watch.  Dude's a freak.  Still, would rather watch him take on MMA, over WWE.   Whatever pays the most......

Edited by stp

You mean to tell me that he could go into a world where he could be exposed to millions of people on a weekly basis all over the United States, helping to promote amateur wrestling with his background, Ohio State wrestling and get people interested in collegiate wrestling?  You mean to tell me he could go into professional wrestling, entertain millions, make money that could later be used to help promote and grow amateur wrestling? You mean that millions upon millions of little kids could look up to him, watch him on WWE programming, here him talk about his amateur wrestling background, want to join their local wrestling club, junior high or high school team as a result?  You mean to tell me that? 

No way in Hell, that crap is fake. 

Edited by JohnnyThompsonnum1

You mean to tell me that he could go into a world where he could be exposed to millions of people on a weekly basis all over the United States, helping to promote amateur wrestling with his background, Ohio State wrestling and get people interested in collegiate wrestling? You mean to tell me he could go into professional wrestling, entertain millions, make money that could later be used to help promote and grow amateur wrestling? You mean that millions upon millions of little kids could look up to him, watch him on WWE programming, here him talk about his amateur wrestling background, want to join their local wrestling club, junior high or high school team as a result? You mean to tell me that?

Well put. I’m a wwe fan and I became interested in amateur wrestling when I was younger because of people like Ken Shamrock getting me to rent early ufc tapes at blockbuster and then Kurt Angle getting into the wwe. “Wow this guy won the Olympics, let me check this guy out some more” Snyder could do very well in the wwe and things are done a lot different now than what they were 15-20yrs ago with their wellness policy, etc. I mentioned this on another msg board about this same topic that Snyder has a great sense of humor and could play a cool, laid back, badass type character in pro wrestling. He doesn’t appear to have the explosive intensity that Kurt Angle has but Snyder would definitely be believable.

Well put. I’m a wwe fan and I became interested in amateur wrestling when I was younger because of people like Ken Shamrock getting me to rent early ufc tapes at blockbuster and then Kurt Angle getting into the wwe. “Wow this guy won the Olympics, let me check this guy out some more” Snyder could do very well in the wwe and things are done a lot different now than what they were 15-20yrs ago with their wellness policy, etc. I mentioned this on another msg board about this same topic that Snyder has a great sense of humor and could play a cool, laid back, badass type character in pro wrestling. He doesn’t appear to have the explosive intensity that Kurt Angle has but Snyder would definitely be believable.

I got into amateur wrestling because I was a Steiner brothers fan.  They wrestled at Michigan.  Dad bought me a WCW figure of Scott Steiner, it read on the box, "Before Winning WCW tag team titles with brother Rick, Scott was an All American wrestler in amateur wrestling at the University of Michigan."  I asked my Dad what amateur wrestling was.  He told me.  I went out for it a short time later, fell in love with it.  Probably never would have gotten into it otherwise. 

Obviously we all want Snyder to stay in amateur wrestling and compete forever and clearly he is still young and not really even in his prime yet, but it’s great to see the options he has outside of wrestling that he can do. And if he went in this avenue down the road, it would definitely help bring more eyes on and attention to amateur wrestling and that is always a good thing.

That's pretty interesting - I didn't think WWE really drew kids to participate in wrestling nor inspired a career destination after college or international wrestling. Who are some other pro wrestling personalities that promote folkstyle participation? I remember there was a guy in the 80s who used to wear halo headgear while he wrestled. And maybe some MMA/WWE crossover guys?

Anyway when I was in the 6th grade our PE teacher, who was also the wrestling coach at a local high school, rolled out some mats got us all in a circle, split between boys and girls, and taught us some basic wrestling. There was no jr high wrestling team or club system at the time so it was the first exposure to wrestling for pretty much everyone in the class.

Most of the boys were excited at first but were quickly disappointed after learning that it was nothing like pro wrestling. The girls I think didn't know what to expect and were sort of tentative but a lot of us thought it was a weird sport based on WWF stuff. The lesson ended with a takedown contest, the one where the winner stays in the center of the circle until a challenger takes him or her down, and that sort of killed it for a bunch of the kids - like hey, this is actually pretty hard, and I can't body slam or flying kick my opponent. I remember the ones who did well in the takedown contest or had fun even if they were getting poorly arm dragged down to the mat (such bad technique in hindsight, haha), including myself, either went on and wrestled in high school or became fans of the team.

Just my sort of long-winded account of how the big disconnnect between WWF and real wrestling seemed to turn all but the most open-minded kids off to the sport. I guess the bigger lesson is that it got kids eager to try it out, and some stuck with it, as one would hope to see in any sport.

That's pretty interesting - I didn't think WWE really drew kids to participate in wrestling nor inspired a career destination after college or international wrestling. Who are some other pro wrestling personalities that promote folkstyle participation? I remember there was a guy in the 80s who used to wear halo headgear while he wrestled. And maybe some MMA/WWE crossover guys?

Anyway when I was in the 6th grade our PE teacher, who was also the wrestling coach at a local high school, rolled out some mats got us all in a circle, split between boys and girls, and taught us some basic wrestling. There was no jr high wrestling team or club system at the time so it was the first exposure to wrestling for pretty much everyone in the class.

Most of the boys were excited at first but were quickly disappointed after learning that it was nothing like pro wrestling. The girls I think didn't know what to expect and were sort of tentative but a lot of us thought it was a weird sport based on WWF stuff. The lesson ended with a takedown contest, the one where the winner stays in the center of the circle until a challenger takes him or her down, and that sort of killed it for a bunch of the kids - like hey, this is actually pretty hard, and I can't body slam or flying kick my opponent. I remember the ones who did well in the takedown contest or had fun even if they were getting poorly arm dragged down to the mat (such bad technique in hindsight, haha), including myself, either went on and wrestled in high school or became fans of the team.

Just my sort of long-winded account of how the big disconnnect between WWF and real wrestling seemed to turn all but the most open-minded kids off to the sport. I guess the bigger lesson is that it got kids eager to try it out, and some stuck with it, as one would hope to see in any sport.

Yeah I did like one little kid practice in 2nd grade and was bummed that it wasn’t like what I watched on tv as well. Lol. Angle came along when I was in middle school so I was at a different place then. When amateur wrestlers with legit credentials get into pro wrestling, a lot of companies highlight those accomplishments when trying to get the athlete “over” with the fans. Right now in the wwe, there is Chas Betts who is a former Greco Olympian that is wrestling as Chad Gable. He is always doing his impressive Greco lifts on much bigger opponents and is exciting. I can’t say that the wwe or any pro wrestling organization is writing checks to USA wrestling and things like that but the powers that be do look hard at people with legit amateur backgrounds. Those credentials show the fans that “no this guy is a real legit badass”

Brock Lesnar(NCAA champ), Shelton Benjamin(NCAA AA), Chad Gable(Chas Betts-Greco Olympian), Jason Jordan(Nathan Everhart-Ncaa Q), Dolph Ziggler(Nick Nemeth-Ncaa Q) are some of the current roster people off the top of my head that have amateur credentials(I’m sure there are others)

You are most likely thinking of Rick Steiner who wrestled at Michigan and always wore his head gear.

Yeah I did like one little kid practice in 2nd grade and was bummed that it wasn’t like what I watched on tv as well. Lol. Angle came along when I was in middle school so I was at a different place then. When amateur wrestlers with legit credentials get into pro wrestling, a lot of companies highlight those accomplishments when trying to get the athlete “over” with the fans. Right now in the wwe, there is Chas Betts who is a former Greco Olympian that is wrestling as Chad Gable. He is always doing his impressive Greco lifts on much bigger opponents and is exciting. I can’t say that the wwe or any pro wrestling organization is writing checks to USA wrestling and things like that but the powers that be do look hard at people with legit amateur backgrounds. Those credentials show the fans that “no this guy is a real legit badass”

Brock Lesnar(NCAA champ), Shelton Benjamin(NCAA AA), Chad Gable(Chas Betts-Greco Olympian), Jason Jordan(Nathan Everhart-Ncaa Q), Dolph Ziggler(Nick Nemeth-Ncaa Q) are some of the current roster people off the top of my head that have amateur credentials(I’m sure there are others)

You are most likely thinking of Rick Steiner who wrestled at Michigan and always wore his head gear.

And wore his Michigan Letterman Jacket while wearing a true wrestling singlet.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

You mean to tell me that he could go into a world where he could be exposed to millions of people on a weekly basis all over the United States, helping to promote amateur wrestling with his background, Ohio State wrestling and get people interested in collegiate wrestling?  You mean to tell me he could go into professional wrestling, entertain millions, make money that could later be used to help promote and grow amateur wrestling? You mean that millions upon millions of little kids could look up to him, watch him on WWE programming, here him talk about his amateur wrestling background, want to join their local wrestling club, junior high or high school team as a result?  You mean to tell me that? 

sure, that's best case scenario. 

but how much have the talents that have gone over to professional wrestling actually helped our sport?  promoted our sport?  really made a difference to amateur wrestling?

pro wrestling is a gimmick IMO (granted, an extremely profitable one) and if this comes to fruition (very easily could) it will be a blow to our sport.

Because I have absolutely no idea, how much latitude would his "character" have to do this? The amateur wrestlers who now perform at high levels in the sports entertainment industry, are they doing clinics? Are they able to talk about amateur wrestling while on "company time"? What are the stipulations surrounding this?

Also, I'd love to see Kyle and Kurt Angle go at it. Same weight (essentially), both World and Olympic Champions...

Because I have absolutely no idea, how much latitude would his "character" have to do this? The amateur wrestlers who now perform at high levels in the sports entertainment industry, are they doing clinics? Are they able to talk about amateur wrestling while on "company time"? What are the stipulations surrounding this?

Also, I'd love to see Kyle and Kurt Angle go at it. Same weight (essentially), both World and Olympic Champions...

It all depends on the story line they're put in and what their character gimmick is. Most prowrestlers come up with their own character ideas while the boss (Vince McMahon) embellishes to make profitable. 

That's my point though.  The amateur wrestling community didn't want that.  They've been so hostile and held such animosity against professional wrestling over the years, that professional wrestling has been scared to do anything.  Bob Geigle, tried to do stuff with amateur wrestling.  There's a story of Lenny Zalesky back in the day wrestling Chief Attakulla on a Central States Wrestling Show, promoting Hawkeye wrestling.  Zalesky kicked the crap out of Chief as a means of marketing the toughness of Iowa Hawkeye Wrestling, and promoting an upcoming match against Michigan.   

Zalesky damn near got suspended from the team for the stint, because of the involvement with pro wrestling. 

Jeff Blatnik called matches for AWA a few times, got his butt chewed for his involvement with 'rasslin' even though on the programming he promoted the up coming World Championships.  Greg Gagne has talked about in interviews how his Dad wanted to hire Blatnik on a per dieum basis to do commentary for AWA.   Amateur wrestling community threw a fit about it and pretty much gave Blatnik an ultimatum. 

Would more pro wrestlers do more for amateur wrestling? Yes they would.  Even McMahon has wanted to do things to help grow wrestling. 

BUT...

WE don't want anything to do with that "fake crap"

So ok, fine, has been the response back.  

Wrestling was, is, and will continue to be wrestling's worst enemy. 

I hate it when real wrestlers "betray" their sport by participating in the fake stuff. But, guys gotta pay bills so I tolerate it (even if I don't watch it).

If Kyle can make a ton of money with fake wrestling, more power to him. I can't imagine he'll make much money out of his creampuff major (Sex Education).

Ever hear of a guy named Devin Nicholson?  He's a friend of mine.  He runs a professional wrestling company in Ottawa, Ontario called Great North Wrestling (GNW). He was a Provincial (like a State title) Champion back in the day.  He was also second team on the Canadian Olympic team.  He had a full ride scholarship offer to Simon Fraser as well as a partial scholarship offer to Buffalo.  He was  pretty good amateur wrestler. 

He's tried to do clinics up in Canada for amateur wrestling.  He's been shut down.  He's tried to run pro/amateur wrestling events.  He has ran them.  The amateur wrestling community has been very angry about this. The response has not been good.  They don't want the connotation or the connection.