Sign in to follow this  
Angry_Fish

Snyder to WWE?

Ever hear of a guy named Devin Nicholson?  He's a friend of mine.  He runs a professional wrestling company in Ottawa, Ontario called Great North Wrestling (GNW). He was a Provincial (like a State title) Champion back in the day.  He was also second team on the Canadian Olympic team.  He had a full ride scholarship offer to Simon Fraser as well as a partial scholarship offer to Buffalo.  He was  pretty good amateur wrestler. 

He's tried to do clinics up in Canada for amateur wrestling.  He's been shut down.  He's tried to run pro/amateur wrestling events.  He has ran them.  The amateur wrestling community has been very angry about this. The response has not been good.  They don't want the connotation or the connection.  

Jeez. People need to look at the guy and realize he was a REAL wrestler who needed to make some bucks.

It is funny how pro wresting is still viewed by a lot of the amateur wrestling community when you consider the George Tragos/Lou Thesz pro wrestling hall of fame is located in the Dan Gable museum at the national wrestling hall of fame.

It is funny how pro wresting is still viewed by a lot of the amateur wrestling community when you consider the George Tragos/Lou Thesz pro wrestling hall of fame is located in the Dan Gable museum at the national wrestling hall of fame.

It's tough to watch that stuff though. Feels like the fake wrestling has long overshadowed the real thing, which is where the resentment comes in. What's interesting to me, is that at one time pro wrestling WAS real in the USA (~1900). There were big time wrestling matches between guys that went for hours in folkstyle matches. Frank Gotch/George Hackenschmidt were stars on par with Mike Tyson today. Sometime around the "Strangler Lewis" era it became completely scripted "entertainment". But pro wrestling irritated the real wrestling community for years by insisting the nonsense in pro rings was real (they even had kind of an "omerta" where they refused to acknowledge the matches were fixed for decades). It's a very complicated relationship between real/fake wrestling.  Some old timers still hate the fake stuff. Me, I tolerate it because guys got bills to pay. So if somebody like Jake Hager decides to bill himself as "Jake Swagger"...hey, more power to him.

Obviously Snyder can make a living however he wants, but:

You have seen pharmaceutical commercials wherein a list of dangers and side effects of the medicine etc is provided. So tell me when WWE runs a show do they make an announcement every 15-30 minutes something like ~"WWE is an acting and acrobatics stunt display, not a competitive sport. If you want to watch an actual competitive wrestling event you may be able to find a wrestling competition at a nearby High School or College November thru March. The incredibly dangerous and destructive moves you see at a WWE event are stunts like you may see in a fantastic. Parents, if your child decides to compete in a youth or HS wrestling event, be assured that all athletes will be protected as much as possible by the officials"~

When you WWE sympathizers can demonstrate such announcements  are being made, I will say fine guys, go for it, pro wrestling is no longer the enemy of amateur wrestling. Until then, how the heck can someone be both a Vince McMahon and Cael fan?  

.... there is no way in H3LL Kyle is stupid enough to participate in the human version of dog fighting- - anyone who would follow/ believe/ enjoy WWE/MMA or any of the other spin offs is proof of inbreeding/generations of family ignorance/tainted gene pool(s)....

.... there is no way in H3LL Kyle is stupid enough to participate in the human version of dog fighting- - anyone who would follow/ believe/ enjoy WWE/MMA or any of the other spin offs is proof of inbreeding/generations of family ignorance/tainted gene pool(s)....

Gable Steveson is a product of inbreeding/generations of family ignorance/tainted gene pool(s)?

Feels like the fake wrestling has long overshadowed the real thing, which is where the resentment comes in. 

Is that professional wrestling's fault?  Or is that amateur wrestling's fault? Amateur wrestling could stand to do a lot of things to make itself more popular. Many of the positive changes that have happened over the years to grow the sport in terms of popularity, were in many ways like pulling teeth. There are a multitude of things amateur wrestling has done and continues to do that are self deprivation.  Not as bad as it used to be, but we still need work.  Blaming professional wrestling is one of those many things.  If Rap music is popular is the thing to do for rock and country music to sit around and cry about it? Or is the thing to do to make Rock and Country music better so that they grow in popularity? 

For a sport full of a lot of tough conservative, "no excuses" people,  "It's pro wrestling's fault we're not more popular" sure as Hell sounds like an excuse to me. 

Edited by JohnnyThompsonnum1

I often think this sport is its own worst enemy when it gives "soap opera for men" with some "stunts thrown in", legitimacy. If I were trying to define the sport to most people, they would say WWE.  MMA got away from that stereotype, and now so many want to go back to there. Snyder going to WWE would be a sell out. He is my favorite active wrestler by a lot. If he actually did that I would literally quit rooting for him (doubt he will). A compare and contrast..... Sudalaev went up to challenge Snyder, and as his coaches said; "he wouldn't take his vitamins". I am pretty sure you can figure out what vitamins are. That is staying true to yourself.

If Snyder were living pay check to pay check that would be one thing. But being the best wrestler on the planet means he is hardly living paycheck to paycheck. He just bought a house. That is hardly living on top ramen.

Is that professional wrestling's fault?  Or is that amateur wrestling's fault? Amateur wrestling could stand to do a lot of things to make itself more popular. Many of the positive changes that have happened over the years to grow the sport in terms of popularity, were in many ways like pulling teeth. There are a multitude of things amateur wrestling has done and continues to do that are self deprivation.  Not as bad as it used to be, but we still need work.  Blaming professional wrestling is one of those many things.  If Rap music is popular is the thing to do for rock and country music to sit around and cry about it? Or is the thing to do to make Rock and Country music better so that they grow in popularity? 

For a sport full of a lot of tough conservative, "no excuses" people,  "It's pro wrestling's fault we're not more popular" sure as Hell sounds like an excuse to me. 

It is not their fault. But it would be amateur wrestling's fault to buy into the narrative of "soap opera for men" being in any way legitimate. MMA actually gave amateur wrestling a huge amount of credibility and folks want to buy in to the wrestlers are neanderthals and a bit of a joke. The thing that gets me is wrestling fans (in the US) want this. On the other hand I have been on record for at least a decade that wrestling fans are there own worst enemy. BTW, another program, in wrestling heartland (sort of) just bit the dust. 

Edited by sgallan

To summarize..... what does it say about amateur wrestling in this country if the currently third best (Smith then JB) legitimate wrestler the US has ever had, sold out to participate in soap opera for men? MMA I could understand. It is actually legitimate competition. Visualize Snyder in a male European cut bikini, strutting for the crowd to do some stunts,  and get back to me.

Serious question.  Who wins?  Lesnar as a SR vs Snyder as a SR in folkstyle.  

I think Synder would struggle with Lesnar just as much as he did with Coon if not more.  What was Lesnar's college weight?

Serious question. Who wins? Lesnar as a SR vs Snyder as a SR in folkstyle.

I think Synder would struggle with Lesnar just as much as he did with Coon if not more. What was Lesnar's college weight?

Years ago Kurt Angle would workout and train with Brock Lesnar when they were early in their WWE careers. It's been said in interviews they would often wrestle real matches and that Angle would almost always win. For that reason I'd take Snyder.

Years ago Kurt Angle would workout and train with Brock Lesnar when they were early in their WWE careers. It's been said in interviews they would often wrestle real matches and that Angle would almost always win. For that reason I'd take Snyder.

I wonder during these matches what the weight difference was between them.

I wonder during these matches what the weight difference was between them.

Kurt Angle would get introduced as weighing 237lbs while Lesnar was billed at 295lbs. WWE was notorious for over billing the weight of their wrestlers so Angle probably was more likely around the same size as Kyle Snyder.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

I often think this sport is its own worst enemy when it gives "soap opera for men" with some "stunts thrown in", legitimacy. If I were trying to define the sport to most people, they would say WWE.  MMA got away from that stereotype, and now so many want to go back to there. Snyder going to WWE would be a sell out. He is my favorite active wrestler by a lot. If he actually did that I would literally quit rooting for him (doubt he will). A compare and contrast..... Sudalaev went up to challenge Snyder, and as his coaches said; "he wouldn't take his vitamins". I am pretty sure you can figure out what vitamins are. That is staying true to yourself.

If Snyder were living pay check to pay check that would be one thing. But being the best wrestler on the planet means he is hardly living paycheck to paycheck. He just bought a house. That is hardly living on top ramen.

IF Snyder had an opportunity to work Hollywood as an actor, would you feel the same way? Or would you feel that the legitimacy of his performance was at stake since he wasn't really shot with a real gun or real bullet in the scene where he's shot? 

What if he actually enjoys WWE and wants to go that route? Would you lose respect for him for doing something that he wants and not what others think he should do?

It saddens me, ticks me off and legitimately depresses me to know that someone like Kyle Snyder who's given so much to wrestling in so many ways would suddenly be a "disgrace" to so many in the wrestling world by making a living in the WWE.  Frankly it's b.s. that people would treat him this way, but read the comments here, twitter, other message boards, and even in teasing about it, they've already began degrading him. 

Count me in as somebody who got into amateur wrestling because of Pro Wrestling.

I hope Snyder make a run at it and succeeds

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk