• Please log in to reply
139 replies to this topic

#21 Tofurky

Tofurky

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 06:58 AM

You mean to tell me that he could go into a world where he could be exposed to millions of people on a weekly basis all over the United States, helping to promote amateur wrestling with his background, Ohio State wrestling and get people interested in collegiate wrestling?  You mean to tell me he could go into professional wrestling, entertain millions, make money that could later be used to help promote and grow amateur wrestling? You mean that millions upon millions of little kids could look up to him, watch him on WWE programming, here him talk about his amateur wrestling background, want to join their local wrestling club, junior high or high school team as a result?  You mean to tell me that? 

No way in Hell, that crap is fake.

Because I have absolutely no idea, how much latitude would his "character" have to do this? The amateur wrestlers who now perform at high levels in the sports entertainment industry, are they doing clinics? Are they able to talk about amateur wrestling while on "company time"? What are the stipulations surrounding this?

Also, I'd love to see Kyle and Kurt Angle go at it. Same weight (essentially), both World and Olympic Champions...

#22 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,685 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 07:04 AM

Because I have absolutely no idea, how much latitude would his "character" have to do this? The amateur wrestlers who now perform at high levels in the sports entertainment industry, are they doing clinics? Are they able to talk about amateur wrestling while on "company time"? What are the stipulations surrounding this?

Also, I'd love to see Kyle and Kurt Angle go at it. Same weight (essentially), both World and Olympic Champions...

It all depends on the story line they're put in and what their character gimmick is. Most prowrestlers come up with their own character ideas while the boss (Vince McMahon) embellishes to make profitable. 

#23 JohnnyThompsonnum1

JohnnyThompsonnum1

Gold Member

• Members
  • 8,411 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 09:11 AM

That's my point though.  The amateur wrestling community didn't want that.  They've been so hostile and held such animosity against professional wrestling over the years, that professional wrestling has been scared to do anything.  Bob Geigle, tried to do stuff with amateur wrestling.  There's a story of Lenny Zalesky back in the day wrestling Chief Attakulla on a Central States Wrestling Show, promoting Hawkeye wrestling.  Zalesky kicked the crap out of Chief as a means of marketing the toughness of Iowa Hawkeye Wrestling, and promoting an upcoming match against Michigan.   

Zalesky damn near got suspended from the team for the stint, because of the involvement with pro wrestling. 

Jeff Blatnik called matches for AWA a few times, got his butt chewed for his involvement with 'rasslin' even though on the programming he promoted the up coming World Championships.  Greg Gagne has talked about in interviews how his Dad wanted to hire Blatnik on a per dieum basis to do commentary for AWA.   Amateur wrestling community threw a fit about it and pretty much gave Blatnik an ultimatum. 

Would more pro wrestlers do more for amateur wrestling? Yes they would.  Even McMahon has wanted to do things to help grow wrestling. 

BUT...

WE don't want anything to do with that "fake crap"

So ok, fine, has been the response back.  

Wrestling was, is, and will continue to be wrestling's worst enemy. 

• pjm46 likes this
"Gable said something in the newspapers to the effect that he had to show up on the podium and accept defeat like he accepted winning. Personally, I think that's the mark of a true sportsman. Such antics as having to be called repeatedly to the awards podium, hopping down prematurely, trashing one's medal at the venue, etc., don't show how much a guy hates to lose, etc. Taking a loss like a man, then coming back to compete harder (again like Gable did) does." Hurricanewrestling

#24 TobusRex

TobusRex

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,511 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 09:16 AM

I hate it when real wrestlers "betray" their sport by participating in the fake stuff. But, guys gotta pay bills so I tolerate it (even if I don't watch it).

If Kyle can make a ton of money with fake wrestling, more power to him. I can't imagine he'll make much money out of his creampuff major (Sex Education).

#25 JohnnyThompsonnum1

JohnnyThompsonnum1

Gold Member

• Members
  • 8,411 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 09:19 AM

Ever hear of a guy named Devin Nicholson?  He's a friend of mine.  He runs a professional wrestling company in Ottawa, Ontario called Great North Wrestling (GNW). He was a Provincial (like a State title) Champion back in the day.  He was also second team on the Canadian Olympic team.  He had a full ride scholarship offer to Simon Fraser as well as a partial scholarship offer to Buffalo.  He was  pretty good amateur wrestler. 

He's tried to do clinics up in Canada for amateur wrestling.  He's been shut down.  He's tried to run pro/amateur wrestling events.  He has ran them.  The amateur wrestling community has been very angry about this. The response has not been good.  They don't want the connotation or the connection.  

"Gable said something in the newspapers to the effect that he had to show up on the podium and accept defeat like he accepted winning. Personally, I think that's the mark of a true sportsman. Such antics as having to be called repeatedly to the awards podium, hopping down prematurely, trashing one's medal at the venue, etc., don't show how much a guy hates to lose, etc. Taking a loss like a man, then coming back to compete harder (again like Gable did) does." Hurricanewrestling

#26 powershouse

powershouse

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 733 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 09:23 AM

Snyder was able to wrestle both college and international freestyle, so why couldn't he do international freestyle and WWE? It's a gig economy baby!

#27 TobusRex

TobusRex

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,511 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 09:23 AM

Ever hear of a guy named Devin Nicholson?  He's a friend of mine.  He runs a professional wrestling company in Ottawa, Ontario called Great North Wrestling (GNW). He was a Provincial (like a State title) Champion back in the day.  He was also second team on the Canadian Olympic team.  He had a full ride scholarship offer to Simon Fraser as well as a partial scholarship offer to Buffalo.  He was  pretty good amateur wrestler. 

He's tried to do clinics up in Canada for amateur wrestling.  He's been shut down.  He's tried to run pro/amateur wrestling events.  He has ran them.  The amateur wrestling community has been very angry about this. The response has not been good.  They don't want the connotation or the connection.  

Jeez. People need to look at the guy and realize he was a REAL wrestler who needed to make some bucks.

• JohnnyThompsonnum1 likes this

#28 tec87

tec87

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7,074 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 09:27 AM

It is funny how pro wresting is still viewed by a lot of the amateur wrestling community when you consider the George Tragos/Lou Thesz pro wrestling hall of fame is located in the Dan Gable museum at the national wrestling hall of fame.
  • JohnnyThompsonnum1 likes this
FIRE UP CHIPS!!!!

#29 TobusRex

TobusRex

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,511 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 09:48 AM

It is funny how pro wresting is still viewed by a lot of the amateur wrestling community when you consider the George Tragos/Lou Thesz pro wrestling hall of fame is located in the Dan Gable museum at the national wrestling hall of fame.

It's tough to watch that stuff though. Feels like the fake wrestling has long overshadowed the real thing, which is where the resentment comes in. What's interesting to me, is that at one time pro wrestling WAS real in the USA (~1900). There were big time wrestling matches between guys that went for hours in folkstyle matches. Frank Gotch/George Hackenschmidt were stars on par with Mike Tyson today. Sometime around the "Strangler Lewis" era it became completely scripted "entertainment". But pro wrestling irritated the real wrestling community for years by insisting the nonsense in pro rings was real (they even had kind of an "omerta" where they refused to acknowledge the matches were fixed for decades). It's a very complicated relationship between real/fake wrestling.  Some old timers still hate the fake stuff. Me, I tolerate it because guys got bills to pay. So if somebody like Jake Hager decides to bill himself as "Jake Swagger"...hey, more power to him.

#30 NJDan

NJDan

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 09:59 AM

Snyder going into MMA is a bogus rumor. Spencer Lee going MMA-- that's real.

#31 MadMardigain

MadMardigain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 8,622 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 10:07 AM

Snyder going into MMA is a bogus rumor. Spencer Lee going MMA-- that's real.

When’s PD3 debut though?

#32 RichB

RichB

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 668 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 11:03 AM

Obviously Snyder can make a living however he wants, but:

You have seen pharmaceutical commercials wherein a list of dangers and side effects of the medicine etc is provided. So tell me when WWE runs a show do they make an announcement every 15-30 minutes something like ~"WWE is an acting and acrobatics stunt display, not a competitive sport. If you want to watch an actual competitive wrestling event you may be able to find a wrestling competition at a nearby High School or College November thru March. The incredibly dangerous and destructive moves you see at a WWE event are stunts like you may see in a fantastic. Parents, if your child decides to compete in a youth or HS wrestling event, be assured that all athletes will be protected as much as possible by the officials"~

When you WWE sympathizers can demonstrate such announcements  are being made, I will say fine guys, go for it, pro wrestling is no longer the enemy of amateur wrestling. Until then, how the heck can someone be both a Vince McMahon and Cael fan?  

• sgallan likes this

#33 pamela

pamela

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,802 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 11:17 AM

Not gonna lie, if Snyder were to take Vince McMahon down and spladle him until his suit pants splits, I would watch - fake theatrics and all.

#34 Tofurky

Tofurky

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 11:17 AM

When’s PD3 debut though?

He AND his dad would make for some great heels in the sports entertainment industry/WWE. Oh, and Austin DeSanto, too.

#35 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,685 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 11:30 AM

Bobby Lashley was an NAIA National Champion and has done a few clinics.

He was signed with the WWE years ago and has resigned with them recently.

#36 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,685 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 11:31 AM

When’s PD3 debut though?

After he finishes his graduate degree from Iowa.

#37 cornercoach

cornercoach

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 12:30 PM

.... there is no way in H3LL Kyle is stupid enough to participate in the human version of dog fighting- - anyone who would follow/ believe/ enjoy WWE/MMA or any of the other spin offs is proof of inbreeding/generations of family ignorance/tainted gene pool(s)....

#38 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,685 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 12:43 PM

.... there is no way in H3LL Kyle is stupid enough to participate in the human version of dog fighting- - anyone who would follow/ believe/ enjoy WWE/MMA or any of the other spin offs is proof of inbreeding/generations of family ignorance/tainted gene pool(s)....

Gable Steveson is a product of inbreeding/generations of family ignorance/tainted gene pool(s)?

#39 JohnnyThompsonnum1

JohnnyThompsonnum1

Gold Member

• Members
  • 8,411 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 12:46 PM

Feels like the fake wrestling has long overshadowed the real thing, which is where the resentment comes in. 

Is that professional wrestling's fault?  Or is that amateur wrestling's fault? Amateur wrestling could stand to do a lot of things to make itself more popular. Many of the positive changes that have happened over the years to grow the sport in terms of popularity, were in many ways like pulling teeth. There are a multitude of things amateur wrestling has done and continues to do that are self deprivation.  Not as bad as it used to be, but we still need work.  Blaming professional wrestling is one of those many things.  If Rap music is popular is the thing to do for rock and country music to sit around and cry about it? Or is the thing to do to make Rock and Country music better so that they grow in popularity? 

For a sport full of a lot of tough conservative, "no excuses" people,  "It's pro wrestling's fault we're not more popular" sure as Hell sounds like an excuse to me. 

Edited by JohnnyThompsonnum1, 20 March 2018 - 12:47 PM.

#40 sgallan

sgallan

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 29,726 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 12:48 PM

I often think this sport is its own worst enemy when it gives "soap opera for men" with some "stunts thrown in", legitimacy. If I were trying to define the sport to most people, they would say WWE.  MMA got away from that stereotype, and now so many want to go back to there. Snyder going to WWE would be a sell out. He is my favorite active wrestler by a lot. If he actually did that I would literally quit rooting for him (doubt he will). A compare and contrast..... Sudalaev went up to challenge Snyder, and as his coaches said; "he wouldn't take his vitamins". I am pretty sure you can figure out what vitamins are. That is staying true to yourself.

If Snyder were living pay check to pay check that would be one thing. But being the best wrestler on the planet means he is hardly living paycheck to paycheck. He just bought a house. That is hardly living on top ramen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users