• Please log in to reply
139 replies to this topic

#41 sgallan

sgallan

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 29,915 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 12:52 PM

Is that professional wrestling's fault?  Or is that amateur wrestling's fault? Amateur wrestling could stand to do a lot of things to make itself more popular. Many of the positive changes that have happened over the years to grow the sport in terms of popularity, were in many ways like pulling teeth. There are a multitude of things amateur wrestling has done and continues to do that are self deprivation.  Not as bad as it used to be, but we still need work.  Blaming professional wrestling is one of those many things.  If Rap music is popular is the thing to do for rock and country music to sit around and cry about it? Or is the thing to do to make Rock and Country music better so that they grow in popularity? 

For a sport full of a lot of tough conservative, "no excuses" people,  "It's pro wrestling's fault we're not more popular" sure as Hell sounds like an excuse to me. 

It is not their fault. But it would be amateur wrestling's fault to buy into the narrative of "soap opera for men" being in any way legitimate. MMA actually gave amateur wrestling a huge amount of credibility and folks want to buy in to the wrestlers are neanderthals and a bit of a joke. The thing that gets me is wrestling fans (in the US) want this. On the other hand I have been on record for at least a decade that wrestling fans are there own worst enemy. BTW, another program, in wrestling heartland (sort of) just bit the dust. 

Edited by sgallan, 20 March 2018 - 12:53 PM.

#42 sgallan

sgallan

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 29,915 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 01:00 PM

To summarize..... what does it say about amateur wrestling in this country if the currently third best (Smith then JB) legitimate wrestler the US has ever had, sold out to participate in soap opera for men? MMA I could understand. It is actually legitimate competition. Visualize Snyder in a male European cut bikini, strutting for the crowd to do some stunts,  and get back to me.

• Witherman and Angry_Fish like this

#43 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 01:21 PM

What if he actually enjoys WWE and wants to go that route? Would you lose respect for him for doing something that he wants and not what others think he should do?
  • Old142 likes this

#44 Heisenberg

Heisenberg
  • Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 01:27 PM

Serious question.  Who wins?  Lesnar as a SR vs Snyder as a SR in folkstyle.  

I think Synder would struggle with Lesnar just as much as he did with Coon if not more.  What was Lesnar's college weight?

#45 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 01:32 PM

Serious question. Who wins? Lesnar as a SR vs Snyder as a SR in folkstyle.

I think Synder would struggle with Lesnar just as much as he did with Coon if not more. What was Lesnar's college weight?

Years ago Kurt Angle would workout and train with Brock Lesnar when they were early in their WWE careers. It's been said in interviews they would often wrestle real matches and that Angle would almost always win. For that reason I'd take Snyder.

#46 Heisenberg

Heisenberg
  • Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 01:37 PM

Years ago Kurt Angle would workout and train with Brock Lesnar when they were early in their WWE careers. It's been said in interviews they would often wrestle real matches and that Angle would almost always win. For that reason I'd take Snyder.

I wonder during these matches what the weight difference was between them.

#47 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 01:45 PM

I wonder during these matches what the weight difference was between them.

Kurt Angle would get introduced as weighing 237lbs while Lesnar was billed at 295lbs. WWE was notorious for over billing the weight of their wrestlers so Angle probably was more likely around the same size as Kyle Snyder.

Edited by BigTenFanboy, 20 March 2018 - 01:48 PM.

#48 JohnnyThompsonnum1

JohnnyThompsonnum1

Gold Member

• Members
  • 8,427 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 02:01 PM

I often think this sport is its own worst enemy when it gives "soap opera for men" with some "stunts thrown in", legitimacy. If I were trying to define the sport to most people, they would say WWE.  MMA got away from that stereotype, and now so many want to go back to there. Snyder going to WWE would be a sell out. He is my favorite active wrestler by a lot. If he actually did that I would literally quit rooting for him (doubt he will). A compare and contrast..... Sudalaev went up to challenge Snyder, and as his coaches said; "he wouldn't take his vitamins". I am pretty sure you can figure out what vitamins are. That is staying true to yourself.

If Snyder were living pay check to pay check that would be one thing. But being the best wrestler on the planet means he is hardly living paycheck to paycheck. He just bought a house. That is hardly living on top ramen.

IF Snyder had an opportunity to work Hollywood as an actor, would you feel the same way? Or would you feel that the legitimacy of his performance was at stake since he wasn't really shot with a real gun or real bullet in the scene where he's shot? 

• Cletus_Tucker likes this
"Gable said something in the newspapers to the effect that he had to show up on the podium and accept defeat like he accepted winning. Personally, I think that's the mark of a true sportsman. Such antics as having to be called repeatedly to the awards podium, hopping down prematurely, trashing one's medal at the venue, etc., don't show how much a guy hates to lose, etc. Taking a loss like a man, then coming back to compete harder (again like Gable did) does." Hurricanewrestling

#49 JohnnyThompsonnum1

JohnnyThompsonnum1

Gold Member

• Members
  • 8,427 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 02:04 PM

What if he actually enjoys WWE and wants to go that route? Would you lose respect for him for doing something that he wants and not what others think he should do?

It saddens me, ticks me off and legitimately depresses me to know that someone like Kyle Snyder who's given so much to wrestling in so many ways would suddenly be a "disgrace" to so many in the wrestling world by making a living in the WWE.  Frankly it's b.s. that people would treat him this way, but read the comments here, twitter, other message boards, and even in teasing about it, they've already began degrading him. 

• pjm46 and BigTenFanboy like this
"Gable said something in the newspapers to the effect that he had to show up on the podium and accept defeat like he accepted winning. Personally, I think that's the mark of a true sportsman. Such antics as having to be called repeatedly to the awards podium, hopping down prematurely, trashing one's medal at the venue, etc., don't show how much a guy hates to lose, etc. Taking a loss like a man, then coming back to compete harder (again like Gable did) does." Hurricanewrestling

#50 pjm46

pjm46

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 975 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 02:04 PM

Count me in as somebody who got into amateur wrestling because of Pro Wrestling.

I hope Snyder make a run at it and succeeds

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

#51 pjm46

pjm46

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 975 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 02:07 PM

To summarize..... what does it say about amateur wrestling in this country if the currently third best (Smith then JB) legitimate wrestler the US has ever had, sold out to participate in soap opera for men? MMA I could understand. It is actually legitimate competition. Visualize Snyder in a male European cut bikini, strutting for the crowd to do some stunts, and get back to me.

Lol you are such a loser.

You've probably decried Pro Wrestling to your buddies ad naseum because you proclaimed to be a "Real Wrestler!!!" And now you're scared that somebody who's accomplished so much more than you and done so much more for the sport is going to validate something you don't like.

Grow up

• Cletus_Tucker likes this

#52 pjm46

pjm46

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 975 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 02:14 PM

Obviously Snyder can make a living however he wants, but:

You have seen pharmaceutical commercials wherein a list of dangers and side effects of the medicine etc is provided. So tell me when WWE runs a show do they make an announcement every 15-30 minutes something like ~"WWE is an acting and acrobatics stunt display, not a competitive sport. If you want to watch an actual competitive wrestling event you may be able to find a wrestling competition at a nearby High School or College November thru March. The incredibly dangerous and destructive moves you see at a WWE event are stunts like you may see in a fantastic. Parents, if your child decides to compete in a youth or HS wrestling event, be assured that all athletes will be protected as much as possible by the officials"~

When you WWE sympathizers can demonstrate such announcements are being made, I will say fine guys, go for it, pro wrestling is no longer the enemy of amateur wrestling. Until then, how the heck can someone be both a Vince McMahon and Cael fan?

Lol one year at sectionals in HS me and a couple of buddies did a 10 minute WWE style match starting at the end of a round.

50 parents stood around and applauded us afterwards.

You people are psychos

#53 rhino184

rhino184

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 02:29 PM

They would have to give him a strong manager or mouthpiece if he were to make the jump

#54 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 02:29 PM

Obviously Snyder can make a living however he wants, but:

You have seen pharmaceutical commercials wherein a list of dangers and side effects of the medicine etc is provided. So tell me when WWE runs a show do they make an announcement every 15-30 minutes something like ~"WWE is an acting and acrobatics stunt display, not a competitive sport. If you want to watch an actual competitive wrestling event you may be able to find a wrestling competition at a nearby High School or College November thru March. The incredibly dangerous and destructive moves you see at a WWE event are stunts like you may see in a fantastic. Parents, if your child decides to compete in a youth or HS wrestling event, be assured that all athletes will be protected as much as possible by the officials"~

When you WWE sympathizers can demonstrate such announcements are being made, I will say fine guys, go for it, pro wrestling is no longer the enemy of amateur wrestling. Until then, how the heck can someone be both a Vince McMahon and Cael fan?

Actually every WWE show has disclaimers through out the show saying that the wrestlers are highly trained professional athletes and not to try any of it at home.

Let me ask you this. When you watch a movie or tv show do you think there should be a disclaimer that says "hey people, fyi this is all fake. Don't watch this stuff, go out and cause real life drama out in the real world." Do you call actors fake because the shows and movies they star in are scripted? Pro wrestling has long abandoned the idea that it was actually real competition. If anything the fact that they've gone this route makes the stories more compelling and entertaining for some. Have you ever yelled at the tv screen when watching a tv show when a major plot twist takes place? Do you need others to tell you, "hey buddy. You know that story's fake!"

Edited by BigTenFanboy, 20 March 2018 - 02:37 PM.

• JohnnyThompsonnum1 and Cletus_Tucker like this

#55 RichB

RichB

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 669 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 03:27 PM

I seem to remember EIWA at Syracuse in 1977. Someone decided doing a satire of Prowrestling during the break when they reloaded film canisters. Everyone was booing not laughing.

Maybe there is a WWE disclaimer similar to what you see on car adds, but it is pretty darn obvious that, there is no advertisement of the existence of a real sport. An awful lot of people have know idea that we exist. And of course kids ignore that message, attempt to do what they see, and constantly get hurt.

#56 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 03:42 PM

I seem to remember EIWA at Syracuse in 1977. Someone decided doing a satire of Prowrestling during the break when they reloaded film canisters. Everyone was booing not laughing.

Maybe there is a WWE disclaimer similar to what you see on car adds, but it is pretty darn obvious that, there is no advertisement of the existence of a real sport. An awful lot of people have know idea that we exist. And of course kids ignore that message, attempt to do what they see, and constantly get hurt.

Do military and war time movies and tv shows create advertisements telling civilians to join the military? Why is it WWE's responsibility to promote youth, high school, or collegiate wrestling? Not a single statement you've made regarding this matter holds any weight. If you dont like prowrestling that's your right, but they have ZERO responsibility to promote anything other than their business. With that said, the WWE contributes a heck of a lot more money towards breast and pediatric cancer research, anti bullying campaigns and tons of other charities than USA Wrestling could even dream of.

And there a plenty of former collegiate and high school wrestlers than participate in prowrestling and love it. It's not just about money to them. But I guess those guys are sellouts for doing to what they love and not what you love.

And FYI 1977 was a long time ago.

Edited by BigTenFanboy, 20 March 2018 - 03:56 PM.

#57 JohnnyThompsonnum1

JohnnyThompsonnum1

Gold Member

• Members
  • 8,427 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 02:10 AM

Do military and war time movies and tv shows create advertisements telling civilians to join the military? Why is it WWE's responsibility to promote youth, high school, or collegiate wrestling? Not a single statement you've made regarding this matter holds any weight. If you dont like prowrestling that's your right, but they have ZERO responsibility to promote anything other than their business. With that said, the WWE contributes a heck of a lot more money towards breast and pediatric cancer research, anti bullying campaigns and tons of other charities than USA Wrestling could even dream of.

And there a plenty of former collegiate and high school wrestlers than participate in prowrestling and love it. It's not just about money to them. But I guess those guys are sellouts for doing to what they love and not what you love.

And FYI 1977 was a long time ago.

Gorilla Monsoon aka Bob "Gino" Marella donated a lot of money to Ithaca College wrestling (where he competed himself in the late 1950's, and took 2nd in the NCAA's) during his life.  He'd often talk about the importance of an amateur wrestling background on WWE programming. Matter of fact watch Wrestlemania III. Randy Savage Vs Ricky Steamboat, when many call the greatest professional wrestling match of all time.  He says during the commentary how important it is to have an amateur wrestling background.  

When Dusty Rhodes aka Virgil Runnels passed away a few years ago, many amateur wrestling medias mentioned his passing? Now why would they do that?  Why would an amateur wrestling media mention the passing of a guy with no amateur wrestling background?  Why would they do that?  Oh, that's right...because he donated all sorts of money to amateur wrestling programs during his life.  Helped where his son Cody wrestled in high school.  

Pretty sure that Rick and Scott Steiner (Rob and Scott Rechsteiner) have been pretty generous towards their old high school wrestling program as well over the years. 

#58 cornercoach

cornercoach

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 02:25 AM

....check out Brock destroying a Cadillac, on YouTube----  I chuckled, but, really, anybody that would participate in an event like that, or pay to watch it in person or pay per view, would really have a double 00 buckshot IQ..... it is comical though......

#59 tec87

tec87

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7,098 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 02:28 AM

....check out Brock destroying a Cadillac, on YouTube---- I chuckled, but, really, anybody that would participate in an event like that, or pay to watch it in person or pay per view, would really have a double 00 buckshot IQ..... it is comical though......

So people that participate in and go to a “play” to escape reality and get entertained for a little bit are idiots. Gotcha!
FIRE UP CHIPS!!!!

#60 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 02:31 AM

....check out Brock destroying a Cadillac, on YouTube---- I chuckled, but, really, anybody that would participate in an event like that, or pay to watch it in person or pay per view, would really have a double 00 buckshot IQ..... it is comical though......

Is that your opinion of Gable Steveson?

https://www.google.c...MoT_R0rMp9Qh2M:

Edited by BigTenFanboy, 21 March 2018 - 02:36 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users