• Please log in to reply
139 replies to this topic

#101 JasonBryant

JasonBryant

I love the Goonies.

• Members
  • 8,862 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 02:34 PM

Dolph Ziggler (Nic Nemeth) has promos running on the arena video board prior to sessions. WWE superstar.

There is ZERO wrong with any of our post-college or post-Senior level wrestlers going WWE. ZERO. I’ve had numerous conversations with most notably Brisco and Mark Henry about the tie-in for wrestling and sports entertainment. There is a synergy there. There are also a lot more wrestling people who love “rasslin” than you might expect. I don’t watch religiously, but I do subscribe to the WWE network - and I “root” for “our guys” - heel or no, I want Lesnar and Angle and Betts and Nemeth to be focal points because there’s always gonna be that chatter on TV, where millions more eyes are on Chas Betts than when he was wrestling Greco.

Time to get over it. I love watching WrestleMania and listening to podcasts about pro wrestling from my youth. It can give me a welcome escape from some of the lunacy our sport has to deal with on a day-to-day basis - this very subject, for example.
  • rstrong, CatchWrestler74kg, PSUMike and 1 other like this

Don't work here no more. Happy now?

www.mattalkonline.com

#102 RichB

RichB

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 02:35 PM

So let me get this straight. The rise of WWF during the 80's is what caused the massive number of colleges dropping wrestling programs? That has got to be one of the richest ideas I've ever heard.

Prowrestling as an industry was struggling tremendously during the early to mid 90's. Why didn't we see a huge increase in college wrestling popularity During those years? Prowrestlings popularity hit an all-time high during the early 2000's did we see a huge decline in popularity in college wrestling at the turn of the century?

This is getting outright ridiculous!

False equivalence. in the early 1980s there were a lot of financial problems. There was also the first and main Title 9 pains. Male athletic programs were being cut. The explosion of WWE certainly made Wrestling the easiest sport to drop. If you say WWE was hurting in the 90s, OK. But during the good economy of the 90s there was still not great pressure to add male sports. Most of the college sports added during that period were female (think infamous Notre Dame Soccer) and during the 00s there was not that much pressure to drop teams, and really, most of the vulnerable problems were already gone

#103 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,024 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 02:44 PM

The explosion of WWE certainly made Wrestling the easiest sport to drop.

Yea that's exactly what happened there.

#104 JohnnyThompsonnum1

JohnnyThompsonnum1

Gold Member

• Members
  • 8,428 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 03:20 PM

Woah.....never noticed YALE doesn't have a team. Harvard usually has a good wrestler or two, just assumed their rival would have a team too!

1991 I believe was their last season. 

"Gable said something in the newspapers to the effect that he had to show up on the podium and accept defeat like he accepted winning. Personally, I think that's the mark of a true sportsman. Such antics as having to be called repeatedly to the awards podium, hopping down prematurely, trashing one's medal at the venue, etc., don't show how much a guy hates to lose, etc. Taking a loss like a man, then coming back to compete harder (again like Gable did) does." Hurricanewrestling

#105 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,024 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 03:21 PM

1991 I believe was their last season.

That's because WWF made Yale drop their program. *eye roll*

#106 JohnnyThompsonnum1

JohnnyThompsonnum1

Gold Member

• Members
  • 8,428 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 03:25 PM

Boyd was a a national wrestling champion for Temple in 1969.  They had another National Champ, Bill Hyman, in 1985.  After Hyman won the National Title he was pictured on the front page of the sports section of the New York Times. A few weeks later Temple canned the wrestling program and a few others, both male and female. The AD stated the wrestling team did not earn enough publicity. Did I mention that Bill Hyman appeared on the front page of the NYTimes sports section?

University of Toledo use to have a wrestling team. I was at their facility for a world cup circa 1982, I think they once had an NCAA Champion, but I know not his name or year.

Boyd was a NCAA champ, an EIWA champ, the subject of movie, and victor over the bear, Victor.  He is founder and sponsor of the Titan Mercury wrestling club, so I assume he is reasonably wealthy. I am guessing he is well above a million dollars in worth, I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of male college graduates over 60 are "millionaires" (well if they consider the value of their "loans" to their kids).  But a several page Google search provides no information on him other than Titan-Mercury and Victor Bear., so he may be worth in the 10s of $millions, but probably not in the 100s of $millions and certainly not in the $billions. I don't know why, particular, he should fund a program for Toledo; does he live there? Now to fund Temple, to 9.9 at a national level, and likely fund a woman's program could be $20-30,000,000. I just would not see someone worth under $100M doing so unless they are without heirs.

Again, although MMA is certainly a legitimate sport I am not interested. (kind of like I will watch Grand Prix racing but not Nascar outside of a bar.) So why the Heck should I know who Dana White is?

You seem to be too much of a hot head to attempt further, logical, cordial conversation.  

I'm too much of a hot head?  Ha ha ha ha ha lmao.  

You're the one going on about how you hate pro wrestling because you feel McMahon ought to use his money to start up collegiate programs in Connecticut.  

Then you go on and on about facts about Wayne Body and his wrestling at Temple and how he could easily afford to start up the program a Temple.  A guy that won a national title at Temple, who obviously cares about Temple wrestling. 

Again I ask, why aren't you mad about him not starting up the Owl wrestling program again?  He has a Hell of a lot more connection and reason to, than McMahon would have to start up anything in Connecticut.  

Yet, you're not angry and you don't hate Boyd with a passion. 

So you use your logical argument to defend your extremely illogical and irrational stance.  

Then you have the audacity to call me hot headed in the process.  

Someone get this man a straight jacket, he clearly needs it. 

"Gable said something in the newspapers to the effect that he had to show up on the podium and accept defeat like he accepted winning. Personally, I think that's the mark of a true sportsman. Such antics as having to be called repeatedly to the awards podium, hopping down prematurely, trashing one's medal at the venue, etc., don't show how much a guy hates to lose, etc. Taking a loss like a man, then coming back to compete harder (again like Gable did) does." Hurricanewrestling

#107 JohnnyThompsonnum1

JohnnyThompsonnum1

Gold Member

• Members
  • 8,428 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 03:28 PM

I guess we can add pro wrestling to our list of wedge issues, along with singlets vs. compression shorts, wearing headgear, women's wrestling, Nike gear, the push-out rule and all the other arguments that pop up on occasion. That might be why we don't hear much about Hodge's pro wrestling career after college - too divisive of an issue?

It's funny you bring that up.  There's an interview with Hodge on youtube you can find where he talks about his pro wrestling career and guys in amateur wrestling giving him a fit about it later on.  He got one of them to think that since he'd been out of amateur wrestling for such a long time and he'd been doing the phony crap for years, that he'd be out of shape and no longer tough. He got into the ring with Hodge and Hodge grabbed hold of him and had him in tears about a minute later.   Said to him, "Don't ever call me a phony again."    If he ever did call him a phony again, it certainly wasn't to his face! 

#108 Joe24

Joe24

Silver Member

• Banned
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 03:29 PM

I hope this is a joke. I know it’s a free country and Snyder can do whatever he chooses, but I hate the optics of this.

Hate it even if it is done in parallel with his real wrestling career.

dc6bd709ceba637666d4a13abd12d284.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snyder never quite struck me as an intellectual, and really not the moxy of an MMA fighter.  Seems perfect for him, and he can make a bunch of money.  Still, he can be an icon if he stuck to wrestling and make plenty of money...but again...doesn't strike me as the brightest.  

#109 JohnnyThompsonnum1

JohnnyThompsonnum1

Gold Member

• Members
  • 8,428 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 03:33 PM

Years ago WWE had a show at Hilton in Ames, Iowa.  Hours before the show Tommy Dreamer (who has no amateur wrestling background at all) was in a bar, where he met up with a few Iowa State wrestlers.  They asked him if he'd wear an Iowa State wrestling t-shirt for his promo and his match. He did and in his interview he talked about how he was going to come at his opponent like a Cyclone wrestler tearing into an Oklahoma State Cowboy.  He also wished the team success the following season.   

#110 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,024 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 03:36 PM

Years ago WWE had a show at Hilton in Ames, Iowa.  Hours before the show Tommy Dreamer (who has no amateur wrestling background at all) was in a bar, where he met up with a few Iowa State wrestlers.  They asked him if he'd wear an Iowa State wrestling t-shirt for his promo and his match. He did and in his interview he talked about how he was going to come at his opponent like a Cyclone wrestler tearing into an Oklahoma State Cowboy.  He also wished the team success the following season.

Gosh darn it! According to RichB that's why ISU has been struggling as of late!
  • JohnnyThompsonnum1 likes this

#111 boconnell

boconnell

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,218 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 01:04 AM

You mean to tell me that he could go into a world where he could be exposed to millions of people on a weekly basis all over the United States, helping to promote amateur wrestling with his background, Ohio State wrestling and get people interested in collegiate wrestling?  You mean to tell me he could go into professional wrestling, entertain millions, make money that could later be used to help promote and grow amateur wrestling? You mean that millions upon millions of little kids could look up to him, watch him on WWE programming, here him talk about his amateur wrestling background, want to join their local wrestling club, junior high or high school team as a result?  You mean to tell me that? 

No way in Hell, that crap is fake. 

This is a dumb take.  The idea that all exposure is good is dumb.  He could also date a Kardashian and millions of viewers would be exposed to amateur wrestling.  Exposure does not equal a good thing.  Millions of kids saw Kurt Angle use his gold medal and it didn't help amateur wrestling one bit.  

If Snyder wants to make money in WWE then more power to him.  He's more than earned it.  But don't pretend that it somehow helps amateur wrestling.

Edited by boconnell, 22 March 2018 - 01:05 AM.

• Cletus_Tucker likes this

#112 steamboat_charlie

steamboat_charlie

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 02:23 AM

SNYDER IS JOINING THE WWF!?!

giphy.gif

WHATEVER WILL US FANS OF REAL WRESTLING DO!

#113 JeanGuy

JeanGuy
  • Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 02:23 AM

I think MMA is worse for wrestling than Rasslin' is. MMA is might not have predetermined outcomes but much like boxing it is just as rigged. It is also perceived by many as pure lunk head sport.

Of course there is also this view of wrestling:

https://www.youtube....h?v=SeQlmCR_1dU

#114 gromit

gromit

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 799 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 04:25 AM

University of Toledo use to have a wrestling team. I was at their facility for a world cup circa 1982, I think they once had an NCAA Champion, but I know not his name or year.  

Greg wojciechowski or something like that. The 285 maybe in 71 beat Joyner I think

Yes, Greg Wojciechowski, NCAA HWT champ for Toledo  in '71. Also runner-up in '70 and '72 (to Chris Taylor). 

Zeb Miller posted an interview he did with Wojo after he came off of the mat for the parade of AAs last weekend.

Edited by gromit, 22 March 2018 - 04:34 AM.

• Cletus_Tucker likes this

anarchy in the UK

twitter @GromitK9

#115 PSUMike

PSUMike

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,248 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 05:46 AM

I guess we can add pro wrestling to our list of wedge issues, along with singlets vs. compression shorts, wearing headgear, women's wrestling, Nike gear, the push-out rule and all the other arguments that pop up on occasion. That might be why we don't hear much about Hodge's pro wrestling career after college - too divisive of an issue?

Is women's wrestling really a wedge issue? If for no other reason than Title IX implications, I figured everyone here would be all for it. 

#116 JohnnyThompsonnum1

JohnnyThompsonnum1

Gold Member

• Members
  • 8,428 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 06:35 AM

This is a dumb take.  The idea that all exposure is good is dumb.  He could also date a Kardashian and millions of viewers would be exposed to amateur wrestling.  Exposure does not equal a good thing.  Millions of kids saw Kurt Angle use his gold medal and it didn't help amateur wrestling one bit.  

If Snyder wants to make money in WWE then more power to him.  He's more than earned it.  But don't pretend that it somehow helps amateur wrestling.

YOu stop pretending that professional wrestling has in any way shape or form hurt amateur wrestling, and maybe I'll grant you enough grace to not share actualities with you. 

#117 boconnell

boconnell

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,218 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 06:45 AM

YOu stop pretending that professional wrestling has in any way shape or form hurt amateur wrestling, and maybe I'll grant you enough grace to not share actualities with you. 

Where did I pretend pro wrestling hurt amateur wrestling?  I don't see any hurt or any help.  They've both been around for a long time and both fill a niche without much overlap.  

Again, I have no problem with Snyder doing it and I can see how it would absolutely help him.  But it won't help wrestling one bit if he becomes a pro wrestler.  

#118 TheOhioState

TheOhioState

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 03:18 PM

Snyder never quite struck me as an intellectual, and really not the moxy of an MMA fighter.  Seems perfect for him, and he can make a bunch of money.  Still, he can be an icon if he stuck to wrestling and make plenty of money...but again...doesn't strike me as the brightest.  

Kyle Snyder:

• Academic All-Big Ten and OSU Scholar Athlete (2015, 2016, 2017)

• CoSIDA Academic All-District At-Large (2017)
• Second Team CoSIDA Academic All-American (2017)
• NWCA Academic All-American (2015, 2016, 2017)

Very impressive for a D1 college wrestler who also travels all over the world to compete in freestyle tournaments. 

"What I meant" in 3...2...1.

Edited by TheOhioState, 24 March 2018 - 03:28 PM.

#119 Joe24

Joe24

Silver Member

• Banned
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 03:56 PM

Kyle Snyder:

• Academic All-Big Ten and OSU Scholar Athlete (2015, 2016, 2017)

• CoSIDA Academic All-District At-Large (2017)
• Second Team CoSIDA Academic All-American (2017)
• NWCA Academic All-American (2015, 2016, 2017)

Very impressive for a D1 college wrestler who also travels all over the world to compete in freestyle tournaments. 

"What I meant" in 3...2...1.

Snyder seems like a great guy, but before I give a lot of credit for academics I want to know the major.  If Snyder is kicking butt in Mathematics, Physics, or Chemistry then I am impressed.  I doubt this.  Probably some major that does quite a bit of online and probably not that difficult.  All majors aren't close to being equal in regard to difficulty.  Give me a 3.67 business major and this person may not be able to get a degree in Mathematics.  However, I have no doubt the Math major will cruise and get bored with business.  I had a dual major, and after taking Calculus based Statistics I still had to take Business Statistics.  Just showed up for tests and Finals and breezed with a review the night before.  Calculus based Statistics just can't do this with.  

#120 Billyhoyle

Billyhoyle

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,360 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 04:19 PM

Snyder seems like a great guy, but before I give a lot of credit for academics I want to know the major.  If Snyder is kicking butt in Mathematics, Physics, or Chemistry then I am impressed.  I doubt this.  Probably some major that does quite a bit of online and probably not that difficult.  All majors aren't close to being equal in regard to difficulty.  Give me a 3.67 business major and this person may not be able to get a degree in Mathematics.  However, I have no doubt the Math major will cruise and get bored with business.  I had a dual major, and after taking Calculus based Statistics I still had to take Business Statistics.  Just showed up for tests and Finals and breezed with a review the night before.  Calculus based Statistics just can't do this with.  

He's majoring in winning world and olympic titles.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users