Sign in to follow this  
GuillermoBilletas

Eastern Michigan

Maybe it got sucked into the gridiron:

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2018/03/20/eastern-michigan-university-budget-woes-prompt-cutting-4-sports-programs/440893002/

"A number of faculty and students have called for the university to drop out of Division I football — either completely dropping the program  or moving down in division, which would decrease the cost. In recent years, Eastern Michigan, with about 21,000 students, has spent more than $27 million a year from the university's general fund on sports.

Many of the issues with Eastern Michigan's spending have centered on football, which has had poor performance and low attendance for years."

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2018/03/20/eastern-michigan-university-budget-woes-prompt-cutting-4-sports-programs/440893002/

"A number of faculty and students have called for the university to drop out of Division I football — either completely dropping the program  or moving down in division, which would decrease the cost. In recent years, Eastern Michigan, with about 21,000 students, has spent more than $27 million a year from the university's general fund on sports.

Many of the issues with Eastern Michigan's spending have centered on football, which has had poor performance and low attendance for years."

Would not surprise me if the snakes finagled the endowment to funnel into other sports.  David Bolyard was doing a great job and this is his reward.

What a shame. How many EMU sports beat Michigan State?

Eastern Michigan 21, Michigan State 19
125: No. 17 Rayvon Foley (MSU) tech. fall Tomas Gutierrez (EMU), 19-3. MSU leads, 5-0.
133: Noah Gonser (EMU) pinned Logan Griffin (MSU), 6:45. EMU leads, 6-5.
141: Javier Gasca (MSU) dec. Sa'Derian Perry (EMU), 5-2. MSU leads, 8-6.
149: Austin Eicher (MSU) dec. Kyle Springer (EMU), 7-0. MSU leads, 11-6.
157: Jake Tucker (MSU) tech. fall J.J. Wolfe (EMU), 19-4. MSU leads, 16-6.
165: Zac Carson (EMU) pinned Austin Hiles (MSU), 4:29. MSU leads, 16-12.
174: Andrew McNally (EMU) dec. Logan Ritchie (MSU), 9-5. MSU leads, 16-15.
184: Shwan Shadaia (MSU) dec. Kayne MacCallum (EMU), 13-8. MSU leads, 19-15.
197: Derek Hillman (EMU) dec. Nick May (MSU), 6-5. MSU leads 19-18.
HWT: Gage Hutchison (EMU) dec. Christian Rebottaro (MSU), 2-1. EMU wins, 21-19.

A real shame. It seems to me that tuitions at all schools keep going nowhere but up, and yet they still need to cut these programs?

tuition goes up ,in Colorado anyway , because state funding goes down. In Colorado (state funding) is so small it’s probably better off to go private. I’m not sure where Michigan sits in funding but we’re 48th out of 50 in state funding. Edited by xander

Football is slowly dying nationally (and unprofitable at EMU) and then there's this: https://projects.newsday.com/college-football-coaches-salaries-contracts/chris-creighton/. The team has had one winning season in the last 10 (30-91 in that time) and is 15-34 with Creighton at the reigns. 

Great story on football and athletics at EMU from two years ago by David Jesse of DFP: https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/wayne/2016/12/16/eastern-michigan-football-program-future/94600812/

Worked with incredibly dishonest people.  Won't name names or go into too many details, but here's a small example.  They fudged (lied about) football attendance to keep their D-I status--big no-no under NCAA rules, and the least of what these frauds did.  Won't go into what I witnessed in wrestling--a nightmare.  Personally, I was lied to more times than I can remember.  I'm hearing Bolyard wasn't even notified before this announcement was made.  Typical.

Damn, sad news. Most universities lose a lot of money on athletics. I think I saw a factoid that said there were about 20 "profitable" D1 athletic departments in the NCAA, and they were profitable because of 1) Football 2) Bball.

The future of college athletics is D3. D1 will be only for those programs that generate revenue. It’s a joke when you see so many 1/2 empty D1 football stadiums on Saturdays. Wrestling is alive and well at the D3 level because funding and philosophy is within the culture of education.

The future of college athletics is D3. D1 will be only for those programs that generate revenue. It’s a joke when you see so many 1/2 empty D1 football stadiums on Saturdays. Wrestling is alive and well at the D3 level because funding and philosophy is within the culture of education.

I agree with you. I have same opinion. I have been on faculty at CU now 25 years. Only football , barely, is self sustaining $ at CU Edited by xander

My family has established a wrestling endowment at a university I coached at.  Having learned from the Notre Dame situation, the by-laws of the endowment state that the funds cannot be used for any sport but wrestling, and in the event wrestling were ever to be dropped the endowment will be used to fund the college library.

Let this be a lesson to those who harp here about how exciting women's wrestling is and how we need to support their effort to build the sport. Fu@& that nonsense; Title IX has killed way to many men's programs and decimated our sport - I won't give a dime or minute because they won't do anything for our sport.

And now that men are getting wiped out in the college enrollment, do you think the Title IX folks are going to turnabout & reverse course?

Not a chance in bell lemmings....

https://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2017/08/why-men-are-the-new-college-minority/536103/

Eastern Michigan should not be in the MAC and sponsoring FBS football. That is the reality.

If EMU made the move to the Horizon League and MVFC, the football program would thrive in the FCS ranks and basketball would do a lot better. This would all be done while saving money.

Shame...