• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#21 xander

xander

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,959 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 01:58 AM

The future of college athletics is D3. D1 will be only for those programs that generate revenue. It’s a joke when you see so many 1/2 empty D1 football stadiums on Saturdays. Wrestling is alive and well at the D3 level because funding and philosophy is within the culture of education.

I agree with you. I have same opinion. I have been on faculty at CU now 25 years. Only football , barely, is self sustaining $ at CU

Edited by xander, 20 March 2018 - 01:59 AM.

Tony Clifton

#22 Coach_J

Coach_J

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 02:34 AM

My family has established a wrestling endowment at a university I coached at.  Having learned from the Notre Dame situation, the by-laws of the endowment state that the funds cannot be used for any sport but wrestling, and in the event wrestling were ever to be dropped the endowment will be used to fund the college library.

• JasonBryant, HurricaneWrestling, TheOhioState and 7 others like this

All Motown, All the Time

www.writeondetroit.com

#23 Powerline

Powerline

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 03:00 AM

It is true, sucks..
http://emueagles.com...m-21-to-17.aspx

Let this be a lesson to those who harp here about how exciting women's wrestling is and how we need to support their effort to build the sport. Fu@& that nonsense; Title IX has killed way to many men's programs and decimated our sport - I won't give a dime or minute because they won't do anything for our sport.

And now that men are getting wiped out in the college enrollment, do you think the Title IX folks are going to turnabout & reverse course?
Not a chance in bell lemmings....

https://www.theatlan...inority/536103/

#24 JohnnyThompsonnum1

JohnnyThompsonnum1

Gold Member

• Members
  • 8,427 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 03:02 AM

Like the University of Notre Dame?

My blood boils every time I think about that situation.  

• southend likes this
"Gable said something in the newspapers to the effect that he had to show up on the podium and accept defeat like he accepted winning. Personally, I think that's the mark of a true sportsman. Such antics as having to be called repeatedly to the awards podium, hopping down prematurely, trashing one's medal at the venue, etc., don't show how much a guy hates to lose, etc. Taking a loss like a man, then coming back to compete harder (again like Gable did) does." Hurricanewrestling

#25 Pinnum

Pinnum

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,825 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 03:04 AM

Eastern Michigan should not be in the MAC and sponsoring FBS football. That is the reality.

If EMU made the move to the Horizon League and MVFC, the football program would thrive in the FCS ranks and basketball would do a lot better. This would all be done while saving money.

Shame...
  • JasonBryant and Jaroslav Hasek like this
Twitter: @Pinnum

#26 LemonPie

LemonPie

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,198 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 03:06 AM

Who needs a 141? Sa'Derian Perry exploded onto the scene at NCAA's and is only a sophomore. Kid still has tons of potential. 

Tanner Smith also a nice get for someone.  19-0 in redshirt year.  Wins over Zovistoski and Jamal Morris.

Edited by LemonPie, 20 March 2018 - 03:09 AM.

Anyone but Heil '18

http://contenttolosebythree.com

#27 straitshooter

straitshooter
  • Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 05:53 AM

Let this be a lesson to those who harp here about how exciting women's wrestling is and how we need to support their effort to build the sport. Fu@& that nonsense; Title IX has killed way to many men's programs and decimated our sport - I won't give a dime or minute because they won't do anything for our sport.

And now that men are getting wiped out in the college enrollment, do you think the Title IX folks are going to turnabout & reverse course?
Not a chance in bell lemmings....

https://www.theatlan...inority/536103/

"because they won't do anything for our sport."  Weird logic.  Tapping into a previously ignored participant and fan base can't possibly have any positive effects?

• pamela likes this

#28 straitshooter

straitshooter
  • Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 06:01 AM

My family has established a wrestling endowment at a university I coached at.  Having learned from the Notre Dame situation, the by-laws of the endowment state that the funds cannot be used for any sport but wrestling, and in the event wrestling were ever to be dropped the endowment will be used to fund the college library.

Coach, did the school fight you on the restrictions?  They always want money no strings attached, but who doesn't?  As Notre Dame proved, they have high-priced legal counsel that can find ways around such restrictions.  I put this on an earlier thread somewhere, my old school cancelled the program, then said, OK, you have four years to raise $500,000.  Within weeks of the fourth installments coming in, they killed the program and said they'd keep the money.  Can't prove it, but I always thought they ran a bait-and-switch, cynically figured these caveman wrestlers wouldn't know what hit them.  Probably their biggest mistake, they should have let the program have one more season, then claim they used up all the money.  As it was, their attitude got ugly when they had to write a lot of refund checks.

• Coach_J likes this

#29 Ultraflex

Ultraflex

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 06:23 AM

Saw this link on the ohiowrestling forum.  https://hailstatebea...letic-director/

If the coaches of the cut programs didn't know about it until this morning, I wonder how hard the AD fought to keep the programs given he said he'd do just that according to the article.

#30 Coach_J

Coach_J

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 06:26 AM

Coach, did the school fight you on the restrictions?  They always want money no strings attached, but who doesn't?  As Notre Dame proved, they have high-priced legal counsel that can find ways around such restrictions.  I put this on an earlier thread somewhere, my old school cancelled the program, then said, OK, you have four years to raise $500,000.  Within weeks of the fourth installments coming in, they killed the program and said they'd keep the money.  Can't prove it, but I always thought they ran a bait-and-switch, cynically figured these caveman wrestlers wouldn't know what hit them.  Probably their biggest mistake, they should have let the program have one more season, then claim they used up all the money.  As it was, their attitude got ugly when they had to write a lot of refund checks.

I sat down with officials from the school's development office and carefully went through what my intentions were and clearly stated that in no way could this money ever be used for any sport other than wrestling.  My understanding is that with Notre Dame, the man who started the endowment passed away and ND officials soon starting working on his kids to change the framework of the endowment so they could funnel the cash over to a female sport to help them with Title IX compliance.  Very devious.  Supposedly the kids didn't know any better and went along with what the ND "experts" were telling them had to be done with the money to best serve old alma mater.  Cannot support Notre Dame in anything since this happened and rejoice when their football team loses.

• southend likes this

All Motown, All the Time

www.writeondetroit.com

#31 gimpeltf

gimpeltf

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,483 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 06:29 AM

I believe it was the wife. The kids fought it later.

#32 straitshooter

straitshooter
  • Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 06:39 AM

I can't be quite as anti-Notre Dame, growing up Catholic and all that, but even among the faithful, their methods and arrogance rub people the wrong way.  That underhanded behavior seems pretty common in higher education, though.  I wonder sometimes, in the future I can see people not giving money directly to colleges (or any other causes) at all, particularly the truly wealthy.  I'll set up my own endowment, keep control of the principle and send you a check once a year if I'm good with your operations.  Seems like a better way to hold people accountable, although tax laws and such might make this impractical.

• Coach_J and GockeS like this

#33 KSchlosser

KSchlosser

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 08:04 AM

With the financial issues previous AD Heather Lyke left Eastern Michigan with, you wonder why Pitt hired her and how their athletic department will look when she is done there. I guess if you raise donations by 50% you can raise spending 200% and not worry about it when you are not going to be there when the bills come due or the ramifications of your decisions need to be paid.

#34 de4856

de4856

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 08:10 AM

Well, this all sounds terrible. Maybe people can get together and save the program, but after what happened at Boise St. I doubt that it'll happen. My hope is that maybe some other schools like Fresno, or Little Rock will create wrestling programs.
Lastly, I think we should also push for both Men's and Women's programs at these universities. I think by doing that we can satisfy Title 9 requirements. And with more Women wrestling it should eventually pay off internationally.
  • Missourimatman and pamela like this

#35 Powerline

Powerline

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 12:40 PM

"because they won't do anything for our sport." Weird logic. Tapping into a previously ignored participant and fan base can't possibly have any positive effects?

Little fan base, and if sucks in far more resources than the benefit received. Mind you this is not a “women can’t wrestle” view, it’s a recognizing that in the long run it will suck resources away from far better athletes and a better product. I can enjoy the arts, but even I realize watching gifted and graceful ballerinas is far superior to clumsy male dancers...the same, but opposite, goes for wrestling.

#36 Missourimatman

Missourimatman

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 468 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 12:58 PM

Having a women's equivalent doesn't mean much. Eastern Michigan's men's swimming and diving is also being cut despite having an equivalent men's program, winning 3 out of the last 4 MAC titles and 34 total.

Well, this all sounds terrible. Maybe people can get together and save the program, but after what happened at Boise St. I doubt that it'll happen. My hope is that maybe some other schools like Fresno, or Little Rock will create wrestling programs.
Lastly, I think we should also push for both Men's and Women's programs at these universities. I think by doing that we can satisfy Title 9 requirements. And with more Women wrestling it should eventually pay off internationally.

#37 RichB

RichB

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 669 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 02:56 PM

Coach_J --- I don't know what school you endowed, but I wonder if your protection of the endowment is enough?

Let's say you donated $4M, and a new AD and football coach comes in.  Coach says to AD, we need another $4M for a new weight-room. AD says "OK, hey let's drop the wrestling program, I don't like wrestling". FBCoach agrees but assistant comes up and says, sorry if the wrestling team goes away, money goes away. well it turns out an academics fan alumnus (ABC jr) is about to donate $8M with the expectation a new wing will be added to the library, and named after his father(ABC sr). Well the AD is a resourceful crook. So he talks to the development office. Half of the library money goes to the new FB weight room, half to the library, and the $4M from wrestling goes to the Library. At best the new library wing will be co-named  for ABCsr and Coach_Jsr.

So you need the endowment to entirely leave the university if confiscated.

-------------

• quanon likes this

#38 RichB

RichB

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 669 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 03:03 PM

Leave us face it, this EMU action has little to do with T9 and more with dropping 90 athletes. Maybe if T9 had zero concern men's swimming would have been not dropped another womens sport would (I thought at first Womens Gymnastics--but I realized some of those girls were likely Larry Nassar patients, so that would not fly.

In any case, in Michigan you have a really mismanaged state government, and a famous "educator" who is at war with public education anywhere from KG to PhD.

• Coach_J likes this

#39 gowrestle

gowrestle

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,257 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 01:31 AM

No revenue plus no fan base equals good bye wrestling.

#40 Coach_J

Coach_J

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 05:08 AM

Coach_J --- I don't know what school you endowed, but I wonder if your protection of the endowment is enough?

Let's say you donated $4M, and a new AD and football coach comes in.  Coach says to AD, we need another $4M for a new weight-room. AD says "OK, hey let's drop the wrestling program, I don't like wrestling". FBCoach agrees but assistant comes up and says, sorry if the wrestling team goes away, money goes away. well it turns out an academics fan alumnus (ABC jr) is about to donate $8M with the expectation a new wing will be added to the library, and named after his father(ABC sr). Well the AD is a resourceful crook. So he talks to the development office. Half of the library money goes to the new FB weight room, half to the library, and the $4M from wrestling goes to the Library. At best the new library wing will be co-named  for ABCsr and Coach_Jsr.

So you need the endowment to entirely leave the university if confiscated.

-------------

I will ensure that my children and grandchildren initiate a lawsuit pronto that goes for the jugular in the event that happens.  What's done is done--the money has been donated and thus far it has done what it was intended to do.  Every year I meet with the kid who receives the money and it's been a rewarding experience.

All Motown, All the Time

www.writeondetroit.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users