Sign in to follow this  
GuillermoBilletas

Eastern Michigan

Just wondering if there's been any update on where Brendan Fenton might end up... or is he waiting to hear how the EMU situation shakes out? Ohio State, Lehigh, Minny come to mind as they may have vacancies at 125 but I don't know who is slated to fill those spots.

Minnesota has Patrick McKee coming in at 125. Fenton could always go compete with him for the spot and loser goes 133.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Minnesota has Patrick McKee coming in at 125. Fenton could always go compete with him for the spot and loser goes 133.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! I guess the loser would have to wrestle-off with Lizak at 133, but having the option to redshirt might still make Minny a nice destination. I hope Fenton lands in a good place either way.

Worked with incredibly dishonest people. Won't name names or go into too many details, but here's a small example. They fudged (lied about) football attendance to keep their D-I status--big no-no under NCAA rules, and the least of what these frauds did. Won't go into what I witnessed in wrestling--a nightmare. Personally, I was lied to more times than I can remember. I'm hearing Bolyard wasn't even notified before this announcement was made. Typical.

They make this decision without even discussing with the coach? Disgraceful.

Why was the endowment funds left off the list? 

We keep forgetting that there is a decent endowment right?

would also be very interested in getting more details about the endowment. it doesn't show up in any of the financial reports that EMU has made available. 

here's most of what I've been able to uncover so far: https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/6163161-eastern-michigan-cut-wrestling-despite-erroneous-financial-report

Supposedly the EMU Foundation handles all the wrestling endowments.  Dean Rockwell left a sizable endowment for the entire program; there were also at least two endowed scholarships as well.  To my understanding, the EMU Foundation is not technically part of the university, so it may be hard to get any information from them.  Good luck getting a straight answer from anyone in the EMU athletic administration....

Edited by Coach_J

I think way too much is being made of the error in the report sent to the NCAA and Department of Education. It's a reporting error. We have no way to know how else that incorrect number was used, though the university's explanation that the numbers were only used for the NCAA report makes sense. Some numbers got entered in the wrong place on a spreadsheet or online reporting form, so they ended up in the wrestling column when they shouldn't have. This is why the school was able to correct the information and explain what the money was actually spent on - because the NCAA reporting form is not where the school keeps its financial records.

Getting rid of these sports is clearly shortsighted and a poor decision, but harping on a clerical error that didn't have anything to do with the decision isn't constructive. Hanlon's Razor applies here I think: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

I think way too much is being made of the error in the report sent to the NCAA and Department of Education. It's a reporting error. We have no way to know how else that incorrect number was used, though the university's explanation that the numbers were only used for the NCAA report makes sense. Some numbers got entered in the wrong place on a spreadsheet or online reporting form, so they ended up in the wrestling column when they shouldn't have. This is why the school was able to correct the information and explain what the money was actually spent on - because the NCAA reporting form is not where the school keeps its financial records.

Getting rid of these sports is clearly shortsighted and a poor decision, but harping on a clerical error that didn't have anything to do with the decision isn't constructive. Hanlon's Razor applies here I think: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Sadly, you're right. Penn State made an error on the same form a few years ago. It happens. It is likely just a simple error. The form is only for reporting and isn't what schools work off for internal decision making.

However, it does make them look like they don't have their ducks in a row as they were getting a lot of blowback even before the error came to light.

However, it does make them look like they don't have their ducks in a row as they were getting a lot of blowback even before the error came to light.

Absolutely, and I'm all for pointing that out. I just don't want people to get lost in the weeds of a misplaced number.

to me, what should spur further scrutiny is the fact that an EMU professor accounted crunched the numbers and figured that the school will actually lose money by cutting these programs. it's unclear where the school's $2.4M in savings came from and it's very hard to trust them given the egregious error on the NCAA EADA report. it was 3 major sports accidentally reported huge expenses for wrestling, which I guess one totally clueless person could done and then also not notice that wrestling's game expenses are way out of wack.

and I get that the person or people who screwed up that NCAA report might not have been involved with the internal analysis the school said they did, but again, kind of difficult to trust them until they show their work.

would the school's admins be as cavalier about shutting down a department that had 3 or 4 majors, firing a handful of professors (or at least maybe some untenured instructors), and write off the 83 students that attended EMU specifically because of those department?

I dunno on that last one, I have zero knowledge of how that would happen. but surprising everyone with the news out of the blue without getting feedback from the students, stakeholders and community seems like an odd way of going about it, especially at a publicly supported school. but maybe that is how they do it. 

to me, what should spur further scrutiny is the fact that an EMU professor accounted crunched the numbers and figured that the school will actually lose money by cutting these programs. it's unclear where the school's $2.4M in savings came from and it's very hard to trust them given the egregious error on the NCAA EADA report. it was 3 major sports accidentally reported huge expenses for wrestling, which I guess one totally clueless person could done and then also not notice that wrestling's game expenses are way out of wack.

and I get that the person or people who screwed up that NCAA report might not have been involved with the internal analysis the school said they did, but again, kind of difficult to trust them until they show their work.

would the school's admins be as cavalier about shutting down a department that had 3 or 4 majors, firing a handful of professors (or at least maybe some untenured instructors), and write off the 83 students that attended EMU specifically because of those department?

I dunno on that last one, I have zero knowledge of how that would happen. but surprising everyone with the news out of the blue without getting feedback from the students, stakeholders and community seems like an odd way of going about it, especially at a publicly supported school. but maybe that is how they do it. 

Exactly.  If Bunsis's numbers are accurate, it would certainly seem like EMU has some 'splaining to do.   Although pretty sure he was wrong on the last page about counting all the track and field sports as one, even though it was just "an aside."

I don't put too much stock into the accounting prof's work. Like the rest of us, he isn't working with good data and does not have insight into the complete picture. He also doesn't understand the policy issues of the athletic department (as shown by his accounting of track as one sport).

Edit to add: The real issue here is the school's unwillingness to address the FBS issue. It is true that FBS football brings in a ton of revenue (as much as 4 Million a year) to the athletic department. It is also true that they run the largest deficit ($5 Million) of any athletic team, by far.

Spending $9MM on a football program that brings in $4MM is the problem with the athletic department. They get no alumni or fan engagement for that money.

The issue is rather simple. They have to act like they are 'doing something' to address the budget issues and lack of performance by the school. This can be used to show that the administration is being proactive when they go to get funding from the state.

The Board and Administration has been upfront and honest. They said they would not even discuss leaving the MAC and making changes to the FBS football program. That was the starting point. Working from that position, there were few options.

The only way this can be resolved is with political force since the school ultimately reports to the state. However, this is going to be a low priority politically.

Edited by Pinnum

I don't put too much stock into the accounting prof's work. Like the rest of us, he isn't working with good data and does not have insight into the complete picture. He also doesn't understand the policy issues of the athletic department (as shown by his accounting of track as one sport).

i wouldn't be so quick to dismiss Bunsis or his work. for whatever the faults of his analysis, it's helpful in putting pressure on EMU to open up their own analysis to more scrutiny which in turn can then be incredibly helpful in applying the political force we all agree is necessary to affecting a change at the top. 

the board and the president indeed have been honest about their desire to not lose any prestige by dropping out of the MAC. but maybe the taxpayers and politicians are more concerned about the millions of dollars being wasted every tear than the prestige of the administrators, and maybe Bunsis' work can help raise their taxpayer's and politicians awareness of this crucial issue.