BigTenFanboy

Anthony Ashnault

Earlier in the season, Goodale said Ashnault would be back in December. Didn't he have surgery over the summer? Was the recovery worse than expected.

I think that was his initial statement then I guess things didn’t progress how they hoped and they saw opportunity for a 6th year and he said Ashnault would wrestle if the 6th year wasn’t in play

Great job by Nicky Gravy! Can't wait to see him on the podium next season. He's been close..Next season he'll get it done!

https://www.onthebanks.com/2018/3/21/17144110/nick-gravina-earns-record-setting-fourth-all-academic-big-ten-recognition-rutgers-wrestling

Good for him but hard to understand this one. The guy has wrestled four seasons plus had a redshirt year, has already graduated, and wrestled over 100 matches for Rutgers. And in freshman year where he got injured he wrestled in 11 matches. Maybe I'm old school but I don't get NCAA sanctioning of never-ending college athletic careers. Does this happen in other sports as well?

I was under the impression that, to get a 6th year, you had to have two seasons wiped out by injury, not one.  Is that no longer the case?   

P.S. Good for Ashnault. 

I don't believe so - medical waivers are separate from redshirts.

If Suriano can get big enough for 133, I see him beating everyone that returns there.  He will take Gross down and will not be turned.

But if Fix goes 133, both finalists may not repeat similar to 125 this year.

Good for him but hard to understand this one. The guy has wrestled four seasons plus had a redshirt year, has already graduated, and wrestled over 100 matches for Rutgers. And in freshman year where he got injured he wrestled in 11 matches. Maybe I'm old school but I don't get NCAA sanctioning of never-ending college athletic careers. Does this happen in other sports as well?

I agree its hard to see how he got the extra year. And the Rutgers official site says he actually wrestled 18 matches his freshman year (instead of 11).

2013-14 (As a freshman): Redshirt season ... went 15-3 wrestling unattached at 141 pounds ... finished in first place at the National Collegiate Open, going 5-0 to claim top honors (March 2) ... went 3-2 at the Jonathan Kaloust Bearcat Open (Nov. 10) ... finished in third place with a 7-1 clip at the Clarion Open (Nov. 3).

I agree its hard to see how he got the extra year. And the Rutgers official site says he actually wrestled 18 matches his freshman year (instead of 11).

2013-14 (As a freshman): Redshirt season ... went 15-3 wrestling unattached at 141 pounds ... finished in first place at the National Collegiate Open, going 5-0 to claim top honors (March 2) ... went 3-2 at the Jonathan Kaloust Bearcat Open (Nov. 10) ... finished in third place with a 7-1 clip at the Clarion Open (Nov. 3).

Given the amount of opens, I wonder how many were non-counters. 7 seems like a lot in that time frame since HS kids were barred.

He's probably more of a title threat at 149 than Suriano is at 125 - and that's not a dig at Suriano. Both will be scoring big points for Rutgers.

Rutgers needs special treatment to help them get into the top 10...like gender quotas.

There are a lot of variables regarding if 4 years is long enough. 4 years this day in age is fast. It is doable if a person is set on their degree early on and takes at least 15 hours a semester. Even then it depends. Some degrees require more. For example and education degree typically requires 5 years. If you are an education math major you have to have at least your 120 hours plus am additional 30 for the education certificate portion. If you get multiple certificates that could add time. You typically have to have a minor if you if you are secondary ed. And it could also add a few hours. If you are unsure at the beginning and change your major, that too could hard time. A person can also double major. That would add a year minimum. Many degrees require a certain GPA. Not in your cumulative and you career choice. That could require a class retake if you get a C. Someone changing their major would also need 5 years. So there are a lot of factors. It is short sighted to think kids should get done in 4 years. Yes they can, but the time of take in D1 athletics especially, depending on the course load 15 hours can be quite a bit during season. A person going six years could get a double major and it wouldn't be a waste. So I think people should be careful judging it. If you could get a double major to have a primary and secondary career choice and get some of it paid for that is a pretty smart move. Additionally, there are several degrees that require over 120 hours.

Rutgers needs special treatment to help them get into the top 10...like gender quotas.

Spoken like a true newbie.  Where were you when PSU was underperforming for decades??  Now you're beating your chest and anything else you can get hold of.  

Pennsyltucky > New Jersey in HS wrestling.   It's also where we send our garbage and where we move if we lose our jobs or our teeth from meth. 

Don't be a dork. 

There are a lot of variables regarding if 4 years is long enough. 4 years this day in age is fast. It is doable if a person is set on their degree early on and takes at least 15 hours a semester. Even then it depends. Some degrees require more. For example and education degree typically requires 5 years. If you are an education math major you have to have at least your 120 hours plus am additional 30 for the education certificate portion. If you get multiple certificates that could add time. You typically have to have a minor if you if you are secondary ed. And it could also add a few hours. If you are unsure at the beginning and change your major, that too could hard time. A person can also double major. That would add a year minimum. Many degrees require a certain GPA. Not in your cumulative and you career choice. That could require a class retake if you get a C. Someone changing their major would also need 5 years. So there are a lot of factors. It is short sighted to think kids should get done in 4 years. Yes they can, but the time of take in D1 athletics especially, depending on the course load 15 hours can be quite a bit during season. A person going six years could get a double major and it wouldn't be a waste. So I think people should be careful judging it. If you could get a double major to have a primary and secondary career choice and get some of it paid for that is a pretty smart move. Additionally, there are several degrees that require over 120 hours.

I wonder how a Harvard student does it or Princeton All Americans!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Vito could wrestle 125 or 133...He tops out around 138 -140 but is no bigger now that he was when he wrestled Suriano and Fix at 126 a couple of years ago followed by world finalist at 128. Just wrestled his actual weight in HS with no reason to ever sweat a pound.

Edited by nycgreco

Harvard or Princeton? Well some will take a year off. Irregardless.... There is a reason some get into the IVY's and most don't. Not really a good comparison. Kids that go there are smart, studious, and have there sh.....t together more than the average 18 year old.

Harvard or Princeton? Well some will take a year off. Irregardless.... There is a reason some get into the IVY's and most don't. Not really a good comparison. Kids that go there are smart, studious, and have there sh.....t together more than the average 18 year old.

There's not a team in the IVY league capable of staying within 40 pts of OU on the football field, hence, the IVY league sucks and always will.