Sign in to follow this  
spladle

Nickal vs Valencia

A close friend of mine ,and someone that was a mentor to me, was the only wrestler to beat Schalles at the NCAA tourney. I worked some camps for him  in high school. Bruce Trammel...still selling real estate in the Cleveland area. 

I was a freshman at Ohio U when Bruce Trammel finished 2nd to Dave Martin at 158.  (142 was a famous match.)

Two of Trammel's teammates were in the dorm room next to mine:  Barry Reighard and Bob Tscholl.  Both freshmen and future All Americans themselves.  Both great guys. 

Sadly, Barry is gone.  Lou Gehrig's Disease.  

I was a freshman at Ohio U when Bruce Trammel finished 2nd to Dave Martin at 158.  (142 was a famous match.)

Two of Trammel's teammates were in the dorm room next to mine:  Barry Reighard and Bob Tscholl.  Both freshmen and future All Americans themselves.  Both great guys. 

Sadly, Barry is gone.  Lou Gehrig's Disease.  

Trammel was VERY good, and Harry and him were a perfect fit at OU. Over the years Bruce rarely speaks of his own career, but 1 story I had to pry out of him was when he wrestled Gable in a practice environment and took him down several times in a row with his drag to a backheel series and Gable was not happy ( he was lightning fast with it ) and I was obviously impressed, then he tells me yea but once we got to the mat it was Gable's territory and he tried to punish him for the lesson in neutral. Harry recruited me out of high school but I headed south for warmer climate, the beach and more fun than discipline. Harry and Bruce were very close and went to Alaska and hunted bear several times together....Harry Houska quite the character. 

To sort of get back on topic. I got Nickal over Valencia 7 out of 10 matches. :)

Edited by Old142

Trammel was VERY good, and Harry and him were a perfect fit at OU. Over the years Bruce rarely speaks of his own career, but 1 story I had to pry out of him was when he wrestled Gable in a practice environment and took him down several times in a row with his drag to a backheel series and Gable was not happy ( he was lightning fast with it ) and I was obviously impressed, then he tells me yea but once we got to the mat it was Gable's territory and he tried to punish him for the lesson in neutral. Harry recruited me out of high school but I headed south for warmer climate, the beach and more fun than discipline. Harry and Bruce were very close and went to Alaska and hunted bear several times together....Harry Houska quite the character. 

To sort of get back on topic. I got Nickal over Valencia 7 out of 10 matches.

Well Bo has already lost 2, so he better get pretty hot real quick if he wants to win 7 of 8 against Zahid.

Bo is a different breed. I find it hard to understand precisely why he wins when he gets into situations again and again which would be fatal for mere mortals. That said I keep thinking that a fundamentally solid wrestler can beat a guy like Bo. The Magic Stops here kind of thing.

I hope we see it.  I'd love to see Valencia without the length advantage.  Valencia got out-scrambled a bit by Hall and Nickal is an almost equal scrambler to Hall who is much longer and when he wins a scramble it's not to stay on his feet for zero points.  I'd put it near the top of my wish list for matches next year (with Lee-Fix).

Bo is a different breed. I find it hard to understand precisely why he wins when he gets into situations again and again which would be fatal for mere mortals. That said I keep thinking that a fundamentally solid wrestler can beat a guy like Bo. The Magic Stops here kind of thing.

In thought the same thing until Bo defeated Dave Dean.

I completely agree. Bo is awesome, but I think guys like Valencia, Taylor, and Cox are too good right now.  He had a lost to Perry last year as well, I believe, so you're point about fundamentals is very sound.  With that said, he's still developing and has the talent to pass all of these guys. 

Edited by Billyhoyle

I completely agree. Bo is awesome, but I think guys like Valencia, Taylor, and Cox are too good right now.  He had a lost to Perry last year as well, I believe, so you're point about fundamentals is very sound.  With that said, he's still developing and has the talent to pass all of these guys. 

If Bo wants to beat Zahid next year he needs to spend time rolling around with David Taylor...a lot of time.  That and develop some more horsepower.  He's got an awesome toolbox but needs to head to Sears for some more/better tools.  If anyone can do it, he can.