Sign in to follow this  
NJDan

The 6th Year

Anthony Ashnault ad Willie Miklus (perhaps others) are seeking a 6th year of eligiblity. This makes me wonder: How does one stay in college for 6 years without graduating? Or are these guys in grad school?

Grad school, second major, adding a minor, study abroad (maybe), taking a part-time courseload for the last few quarters or semesters. Some schools don't force students to declare that they are graduating after they've completed all their degree requirements - or maybe they fly under the radar - and allow them to take a handful of additional courses. 

A friend of mine had a four year scholarship and kept re-enrolling for classes on his own dime until his department or the university noticed and made him walk.

I explained it all, with rulebook citations last year in this thread: 

http://board.themat.com/index.php?/topic/15855-medical-redshirt/?hl=hardship&do=findComment&comment=309777

High Level Summary:

Redshirt: leveraging your allowable one year of non-attached (wrestling term) competition, within the 5-Year Rule guideline

Medical Redshirt (or more appropriately, Medical Hardship): allowing an athlete, whom has not already used a RS, that competed in a small number of events to use what began as a non-RS year to become a RS year due to injury. Still working within the 5-Year Rule

Five Year Waiver: allowing an athlete to compete beyond their 5th year, due to extenuating circumstances.
------------------

Examples of each...

Redshirt
Examples: most Division I collegiate wrestlers

Exceptions to the Five-Year Rule include (paraphrased from the NCAA manual):
Military Service
Religious Missions
Academic Study Abroad
Internship / Co-Op Education Work Experience
Pregnancy
Athletics Waiver (aka, Olympic Redshirt)
Five-Year Rule Waiver (see below)

Medical Redshirt (or more appropriately, Medical Hardship)
Examples:
Logan Stieber

(5-3 as an attached wrestler during his "first" Frosh season, which was then converted to a RS); Jordan Burroughs (7-1 in Senior season)

Jordan Burroughs
2009-10 (Senior/Medical Redshirt)
Regular Season
Burroughs was off to a dominating 7-0 start with four bonus-point wins when his season came to a sudden end on Dec. 19 vs. Central Michigan. Wrestling No. 13 Steve Brown, Burroughs tore his left PCL and LCL in the first period. He finished the match, but dropped a 3-2 overtime decision that broke his streak of 44 consecutive wins. The injured Burroughs was ranked No. 1 at the time of the injury. In the first dual of the season, Burroughs pinned Wisconsin's Greg Burke in 25 seconds, the fastest fall by a Husker in the Big 12 era. He did not finish the Las Vegas Invitational due to a tooth injury that occurred during a first-round win.

Five Year Waiver
Example: James English or Willie Miklaus next year
http://triblive.com/...anderson-state

Edited by lu_alum

You dont have to apply for graduation after your coursework has been finished.

Your last term of eligibility you can take a reduced load if you have the required credits.

I did both of these due to a normal redshirt and then a hamstring tear in November.  I moved normal credits to a French minor then took a reduced load in my last term before entering graduate school.  Believe it or not its difficult to wrestle year round and finish out certain majors in 8 semesters.

I explained it all, with rulebook citations last year in this thread: 

http://board.themat.com/index.php?/topic/15855-medical-redshirt/?hl=hardship&do=findComment&comment=309777

High Level Summary:

Redshirt: leveraging your allowable one year of non-attached (wrestling term) competition, within the 5-Year Rule guideline

Medical Redshirt (or more appropriately, Medical Hardship): allowing an athlete, whom has not already used a RS, that competed in a small number of events to use what began as a non-RS year to become a RS year due to injury. Still working within the 5-Year Rule

Five Year Waiver: allowing an athlete to compete beyond their 5th year, due to extenuating circumstances.

------------------

Examples of each...

Redshirt

Examples: most Division I collegiate wrestlers

Exceptions to the Five-Year Rule include (paraphrased from the NCAA manual):

Military Service

Religious Missions

Academic Study Abroad

Internship / Co-Op Education Work Experience

Pregnancy

Athletics Waiver (aka, Olympic Redshirt)

Five-Year Rule Waiver (see below)

Medical Redshirt (or more appropriately, Medical Hardship)

Examples:

Logan Stieber

(5-3 as an attached wrestler during his "first" Frosh season, which was then converted to a RS); Jordan Burroughs (7-1 in Senior season)

Jordan Burroughs

2009-10 (Senior/Medical Redshirt)

Regular Season

Burroughs was off to a dominating 7-0 start with four bonus-point wins when his season came to a sudden end on Dec. 19 vs. Central Michigan. Wrestling No. 13 Steve Brown, Burroughs tore his left PCL and LCL in the first period. He finished the match, but dropped a 3-2 overtime decision that broke his streak of 44 consecutive wins. The injured Burroughs was ranked No. 1 at the time of the injury. In the first dual of the season, Burroughs pinned Wisconsin's Greg Burke in 25 seconds, the fastest fall by a Husker in the Big 12 era. He did not finish the Las Vegas Invitational due to a tooth injury that occurred during a first-round win.

Five Year Waiver

Example: James English or Willie Miklaus next year

http://triblive.com/...anderson-state

Five year waiver takes into account injury as well - correct? Kirk White got a 6th year at BSU but had only competed in 3 due to a redshirt, a season ending injury, then got a year back. 

Five year waiver takes into account injury as well - correct? Kirk White got a 6th year at BSU but had only competed in 3 due to a redshirt, a season ending injury, then got a year back.

Yes. As crazy as it sounds, I posted the short version of my explanation. If you click on the link at the start of my post, it will take you to last’s year’s post, which includes direct quotes from the NCAA rule book for each scenario.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pretty sad when someone spends 6 years in college. Some guys just continue hiding from the real world. Spending that much time should result in a competitive masters degree, not a soft masters.

But still only gets 4 years of eligibility....and can graduate and start graduate school....doesn't sound pretty sad to me. 

But still only gets 4 years of eligibility....and can graduate and start graduate school....doesn't sound pretty sad to me.

It depends on what the program is. Fact is most these guys are taking bs courses just to stay eligible. They ain’t no Adam Coon!

Pretty sad when someone spends 6 years in college. Some guys just continue hiding from the real world. Spending that much time should result in a competitive masters degree, not a soft masters.

I was a 6-year undergrad.  Started as a Physical Therapy major.  Applied to PT school after my 2nd year with a 3.5 GPA, got accepted.  Changed my mind.  Went to Mechanical Engineering.  With the exception of some humanities credits, basically started all over again as I had to retake Calculus and Physics at a higher level.

Graduated with honors with 157 credits for a degree program that required 128.

By the way... I spent three years in the real world, then went back full-time for my MS in Mechanical Engineering.

Edited by lu_alum

Yes, we're all aware of your judgmental views on the 6 yr guys.  The thing is, while you were hiding in your dorm room counting the days until it was over, some people were actually enjoying college.

Edited by KCMO2

I was a 6-year undergrad. Started as a Physical Therapy major. Applied to PT school after my 2nd year with a 3.5 GPA, got accepted. Changed my mind. Went to Mechanical Engineering. With the exception of some humanities credits, basically started all over again as I had to retake Calculus and Physics at a higher level.

Graduated with honors with 157 credits for a degree program that required 128.

By the way... I spent three years in the real world, then went back full-time for my MS in Mechanical Engineering.

Good job! You did it the right way.

Yes, we're all aware of your judgmental views on the 6 yr guys. The thing is, while you were hiding in your dorm room counting the days until it was over, some people were actually enjoying college.

Funny post. Guess my opinion hit a nerve. 😊

It depends on what the program is. Fact is most these guys are taking bs courses just to stay eligible. They ain’t no Adam Coon!

True...and the student as well...fact is that bs courses are true about every sport...football....basketball, and now unfortunately it is becoming part of the normal academic program - some of the courses that these college come up with are ridiculous.....and I'm sure now that Boise State has a "Gaming Team" , some of those kids will find it hard to stay eligible due to the great stress and training of playing video games all night long. 

Edited by Idaho