NJDan

Yianni Cojones

The malpractice crowd never wrestled.

I’m pretty sure virtually everyone who posts here wrestled. Those of us who wrestled in college know how crappy athletic trainers assigned to wrestling can be...”They aren’t sending their best.” Unless Koll was being facetious, a failed diagnosis on the part of his trainer coupled to pressuring the athlete into not worrying about a torn ACL is nothing to brag about (although it does emphasize how amazing yanni is).

If you read Koll's comments carefully, they did not understand the extent of the injury to Yianni, if at all. He indicates they were trying to figure it out as of that message... aka going through proper medical procedures to see to what extent if any he was injured.

Which is all fine. I just take exception to the quit acting like a baby comment when there still was confusion to the diagnosis and especially after finding out it was in fact a torn ACL. The comment more so than the action I’ve taken this exception to I guess. No big deal either way just something worth discussion I suppose.

Which is all fine. I just take exception to the quit acting like a baby comment when there still was confusion to the diagnosis and especially after finding out it was in fact a torn ACL. The comment more so than the action I’ve taken this exception to I guess. No big deal either way just something worth discussion I suppose.

It might be worth noting - the context of this comment was within the regular news update that Rob sends out to Cornell fans; as such - the tone of the newsletters is often (always?) a bit jocular, humerous, and somewhat tongue in cheek.  It makes for some entertaining readings, and for Cornell insiders who understand Rob's demeanor - not at all offensive.  However, some outsiders who read copies of the text (especially when taken out of context) may find his tone a bit too over-the-top.

Allen Brown used to post Rob's updates regularly on the Cornell Forum.  After Allen passed away, I took it upon myself to continue that practice.  I don't think Rob minds; at least, he hasn't threatened to send Coach Dean after me yet!

Edited by redblades

I’m pretty sure virtually everyone who posts here wrestled. Those of us who wrestled in college know how crappy athletic trainers assigned to wrestling can be...”They aren’t sending their best.” Unless Koll was being facetious, a failed diagnosis on the part of his trainer coupled to pressuring the athlete into not worrying about a torn ACL is nothing to brag about (although it does emphasize how amazing yanni is).

na you'd be surprised. TBar didn't.

All this talk about an ACL tear; partial or complete?  Makes a difference, afterall.

Given the amount of leaping (into Grey's arms, to high five fans in the crowd, etc.) he did, the noticeable lack of a limp, the ability to wrestle in all positions, and no outward sign of pain, I'm guessing this injury wasn't that severe.

All this talk about an ACL tear; partial or complete?  Makes a difference, afterall.

Complete is a non starter. Stability is lost.

Some partial tears you lose stability in the knee, others you don't. It all depends on severity and individual person. 

McFadden tore his on the first day (if I recall correctly) of the tournament his freshman year and wrestled to 6th. 

Edit:  Just went back and looked and it happened in the first round.  So he wrestled 8 matches with a torn ACL, going 5-3 to finish 6th.

Edited by HokieFan

Complete is a non starter. Stability is lost.

Some partial tears you lose stability in the knee, others you don't. It all depends on severity and individual person.

Are you saying it is impossible for it to be a complete tear based on what you saw?

I honestly don’t know the ramifications.

Are you saying it is impossible for it to be a complete tear based on what you saw?

I honestly don’t know the ramifications.

The acl connects the femur and tibia. If you tear it completely then the femur and tibia are no longer going to be stable. The tibia will tend to move forward of the femur and the knee can slide all over the place. Also, a complete tear usually involves blood loss thru the torn area of the ligament, filling the knee area.

I have no idea what happened to Yianni D., but his movements in the semi final and finals matches did not make me think he had joint instability in his knee. Guessing its a partial.

Thanks for that description. Interesting that folks say they have good info that it is a full tear.

I do recall him messing with it and kinda checking it out during the Heil match. Was wobbling it side to side.

Doctors discovered what seemed to be two ACL's in his knee. Upon further examination it was determined that although his actual ACL was severed his missing tricep had settled over the years, relocated and now secured his femur and tibia as a secondary intact ligature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk