Sign in to follow this  
tightwaist

Lock Haven

These guys aren't getting much press, but how about that performance?  Perry was a 15 seed, and Marstellar a 9 seed.  Scott Moore interview says he has to fund raise for all of their scholarship money.  That is an incredible story and probably needs to be shared among all non Big10 schools.  This may be the future for keeping your program alive.  The question is, how many coaches are even equipped to do this? 

Which brings up an interesting topic, as head coach, are you the CEO or the hands on coach, or both.  Pop, Ryan, Koll, Brian Smith and now Moore all seem to be the CEO type that let their assistants actually do the coaching.  Cael seems to be both.  Brands, Smith, Davis seem to be the hands on type head coach.  Which is better? 

I think it depends on the school.  At a big program, with a history of success and massive athletic budgets, then you can probably be a hands on type.  I think the smaller programs (Eastern Michigan) probably need a CEO type who has a vision, can market and communicate to alumni, and can defer to assistants to run practices.  Every wrestling program is filled with successful alumni who want to support their school in some fashion (ie.  send them money!).  Coaching a mid major program seems like it as much about building awareness, fund raising, marketing and selling the program as it is about developing kids.  Every MAC, EWL, Southern Conf program that also has football, is probably at risk of being shut down. 

Which brings up an interesting topic, as head coach, are you the CEO or the hands on coach, or both.  Pop, Ryan, Koll, Brian Smith and now Moore all seem to be the CEO type that let their assistants actually do the coaching.  Cael seems to be both.  Brands, Smith, Davis seem to be the hands on type head coach.  Which is better? 

It's been well discussed that PSU has big donor money that was in place before Cael and attracted Cael to the program. I'm not saying Cael might not be a good CEO type coach, but he doesn't have to scratch anything up to improve PSU. It's there and has been there.

Moore has done a good job. Question is how long can he sustain his efforts? His salary is low compared to other college coaches. At some point every husband/father needs to think of his family.

His salary is much lower and with PSU dominating the summer camps now you don't even have that to fall back on. I can guarantee Moore is also fundraising for additional coaching salaries so it makes it tough to retain your good post grads as RTC guys.

The disparity is huge in D1 wrestling.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

There are some great CEO/Hands on coaches in D1 ranks that are just fighting to keep their program alive. These same programs often get looked down on by the wrestling community for not excelling when in all reality they are doing a great job.

Great to see Lock Haven doing well. They have had good alumni support for years.

Lock Haven had an incredible season relative to what they have done since '97.

1.)Won EWL's for 1st time since '97.

2.)15 out of 23 rostered wrestlers made the EWL  All Academic Team.  That is outstanding.

3.)Qualified 6 wrestlers for NCAA's.

4.)5 of the 6 won at least 1 match at NCAA's.

5.)Had 2 AA's with a 4th and a 2nd.

6.)Finished 16th at NCAA's and ranked 21st as a dual meet team(Intermat).

Hat's off to Moore.  Very deserving for COTY honors.

A couple months ago there was a thread about LHU taking over the old HS and planning on renovating part of the facility as a wrestling headquarters. I assume duals and tournaments will continue to be held at Thomas field house, but I was never in the HS.

Lock Haven had an incredible season relative to what they have done since '97.

1.)Won EWL's for 1st time since '97.

2.)15 out of 23 rostered wrestlers made the EWL  All Academic Team.  That is outstanding.

3.)Qualified 6 wrestlers for NCAA's.

4.)5 of the 6 won at least 1 match at NCAA's.

5.)Had 2 AA's with a 4th and a 2nd.

6.)Finished 16th at NCAA's and ranked 21st as a dual meet team(Intermat).

Hat's off to Moore.  Very deserving for COTY honors.

Some pretty cool stats there. Definitely their best season since 1997!

A couple months ago there was a thread about LHU taking over the old HS and planning on renovating part of the facility as a wrestling headquarters. I assume duals and tournaments will continue to be held at Thomas field house, but I was never in the HS.

I was there years ago when Turner ran Mattown in that building and he showed off the designs of the proposed idea.

If done, it would be one of the coolest wrestling facilities in the country.

I was there years ago when Turner ran Mattown in that building and he showed off the designs of the proposed idea.

If done, it would be one of the coolest wrestling facilities in the country.

I am trying to think of where the old HS is, is it down Church Street? And do they already own the building? 

I am trying to think of where the old HS is, is it down Church Street? And do they already own the building?

Yes. Only other time I was ever in the building was as a kid for tournaments and duals.

I think they even plan on doing the Cornell thing and hold home duals there.

In State College's back yard, wonder if they could get some fans to attend?

Despite the perception, I think the majority of PSU fans are over-all wrestling fans as well. If LH had a dual close enough I bet they'd pull some PSU fans to their duals. 

I was thoroughly impressed with Lock Haven. It was very cool watching Chance light the back side on fire knowing his story. I told my girlfriend that redemption stories like his, and Gross' are so rare in wrestling, and its pretty incredible how well theyre both doing. 

Cant say I even knew Ronnie Perry's name before last weekend, and now I'll never forget it. 

Im a fan now. 

it's tough finding out his HS info, interesting though that he attended Solanco HS (Southern Lancaster County), the same as the 285 Thomas Haines.

predicting Haines finds the podium next year. 4x PA champ that has underperfomed? or maybe happened to be at a weak wt. in PA for 4 yrs

These guys aren't getting much press, but how about that performance? Perry was a 15 seed, and Marstellar a 9 seed. Scott Moore interview says he has to fund raise for all of their scholarship money. That is an incredible story and probably needs to be shared among all non Big10 schools. This may be the future for keeping your program alive. The question is, how many coaches are even equipped to do this?

they had a great season. Good job

it's tough finding out his HS info, interesting though that he attended Solanco HS (Southern Lancaster County), the same as the 285 Thomas Haines.

predicting Haines finds the podium next year. 4x PA champ that has underperfomed? or maybe happened to be at a weak wt. in PA for 4 yrs

220 is usually pretty weak, in general.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

actually Haines would be a good 220 lber if there were such a weight.  he can't make 97 and is not a heavyweight.  just a bad fit to expect results like high school