Sign in to follow this  
MSU158

Cole Konrad

With what Coon was able to do against Snyder, I am further convinced that Konrad may be the best 285 DI has had.  

He had one of the all-time greats in Mocco at his weight(soph and junior yrs. with Rowlands and Cummins as a frosh) and after losing a heartbreaker to him as a sophomore, he dominated him the following year and then dominated the field as a Senior.

By his Junior year, he had matured to a point where he was bigger and stronger than everyone and was still as mobile.  I know we are going back over 10 years, but was he even taken down once over his last 2 seasons?

Konrad was very, very good. I think he is underrated because he wasn't a legend in high school and didn't have much of an international career (before going to MMA for a bit). If he's not the best, he's up there. I still think Snyder is superhuman and would figure out how to beat almost anyone. 

I would like to see Mocco vs Snyder. I think Mocco might have more attacks but would not be able to stop Snyder low single. These two are the most technical heavyweights we have had in a long time, Coon vs Konrad would be a great physical match up. These four plus Rowlands would be a fantastic mini tournament. 

Konrad was a totally different animal from Coon. I don't think Snyder would've had much chance against Konrad in his heyday.

Agreed. Size wise, Coon and Konrad are about the same but Konrad was just so aggressive and was an animal. Not that Coon isn’t himself. as he tore people apart the first few rounds at ncaas, but Konrad just mauled people.

The heavyweight class of the early 2000’s that had Mocco, Konrad, Rowlands, Velasquez, and Wagner in it were some beastly heavyweights.

Agreed. Size wise, Coon and Konrad are about the same but Konrad was just so aggressive and was an animal. Not that Coon isn’t himself. as he tore people apart the first few rounds at ncaas, but Konrad just mauled people.

The heavyweight class of the early 2000’s that had Mocco, Konrad, Rowlands, Velasquez, and Wagner in it were some beastly heavyweights.

I think it was the "Golden Era" of NCAA heavies. I really liked the Mocco/Konrad rivalry (but I was rooting for Mocco!). Konrad definitely earned my respect, and a lot of it.

I say Konrad beats Coon 8 out of 10 times.

Konrad beats Coon 10 out of 10.  Coon had a single very specific advantage over Snyder that would be a disadvantage against Konrad.  The ability to defend leg attacks from a smaller man and be larger is not something that would help you against Konrad. 

Konrad is the biggest and baddest NCAA heavyweight of the weight class limit era.  That doesn't mean he is in Snyder's league as a wrestler.  

Konrad beat Mocco in OT his Jr year, he didn't dominate him.

I know it's freestyle but Cormier beat Mocco and Rowlands on the Senior circuit and Snyder seems to be better than him. Also Gwiz won a World Bronze shortly after college.

I think Coon, Snyder and Gwiz stack up just as well against Mocco, Konrad and Rowlands

Konrad beats Coon 10 out of 10.  Coon had a single very specific advantage over Snyder that would be a disadvantage against Konrad.  The ability to defend leg attacks from a smaller man and be larger is not something that would help you against Konrad. 

Konrad is the biggest and baddest NCAA heavyweight of the weight class limit era.  That doesn't mean he is in Snyder's league as a wrestler.  

Konrad might not have been in Snyder's league "pound for pound", but he wouldn't need to be because he was about 60 pounds bigger :D

I know it's freestyle but Cormier beat Mocco and Rowlands on the Senior circuit and Snyder seems to be better than him. Also Gwiz won a World Bronze shortly after college.

I think Coon, Snyder and Gwiz stack up just as well against Mocco, Konrad and Rowlands

A freestyle match is not in the same universe as a folkstyle match for an undersized heavyweight.  Especially a freestyle match before the pushout era.  Cormier could dance and pick his attacks from space in neutral for 6 minutes in a freestyle match.  In a folkstyle match with today's OOB rules that is not an option in a folkstyle match. 

Watch Stoll march guys out of bounds with this year's rules and then picture a guy who was way bigger, stronger, meaner, and more athletic.  Snyder was fortunate they didn't want to call an olympic champ for stalling in the finals because his strategy was to play keep away for 6 minutes from Coon and then score when he was tired.  That strategy can't work if you can't choose bottom and keep it close with the escape point.  And there is not a world where Snyder chooses bottom and gets away from Konrad, who was an entirely different level on top than Coon is.  

Konrad also pinned Mocco at National Duals and beat him three time that year.

Konrad also stuck Mocco that year.  Now, Konrad was so big that he wasn't an offensive Juggernaught, so you could maybe get the match to 1-1 in OT.  But, that didn't really do you much good, because he was easily going to beat you in rideouts.

Konrad falls back to my favorite folkstyle adage.  If they can't take you down or ride you, they can't beat you!(now don't be a smart ass and use some penalty point scenario!)

Even the National Dual match was competitive before the pin

You are thinking of domination in the wrong context.  Konrad wasn't a 157lber, shooting sweep singles and lighting up the scoreboard.  A 300lber cutting to make 285 doesn't naturally move that way.  What they DO do, is hold position and control the mat.  He did that as well as ANY 285 I can remember!

A freestyle match is not in the same universe as a folkstyle match for an undersized heavyweight. Especially a freestyle match before the pushout era. Cormier could dance and pick his attacks from space in neutral for 6 minutes in a freestyle match. In a folkstyle match with today's OOB rules that is not an option in a folkstyle match.

Watch Stoll march guys out of bounds with this year's rules and then picture a guy who was way bigger, stronger, meaner, and more athletic. Snyder was fortunate they didn't want to call an olympic champ for stalling in the finals because his strategy was to play keep away for 6 minutes from Coon and then score when he was tired. That strategy can't work if you can't choose bottom and keep it close with the escape point. And there is not a world where Snyder chooses bottom and gets away from Konrad, who was an entirely different level on top than Coon is.

Keep in mind that this was also the ball grab era when Cormier got those wins. Not meaning to take anything away from him at all, Rowland’s was also the same weight when he lost to Cormier. But freestyle in that few year period is different than freestyle today and the period before it.

My best memory of Konrad is at Big 10s one year. All of Minnesota has those big duffel bags that can fit at least one 125lber in them. Konrad put his on like a backpack while everyone else was lugging them around the normal way.