Sign in to follow this  
buckshot1969

Big opportunity missed at NCAAs

I know that Snyder is the face of wrestling but how did they not have Nickal's match with Martin go last?  Everything pointed toward that match being the decider for the team title.  How awesome would it be if the whole season came down to the very last match?

I know that Snyder is the face of wrestling but how did they not have Nickal's match with Martin go last?  Everything pointed toward that match being the decider for the team title.  How awesome would it be if the whole season came down to the very last match?

All indicators were that it would probably come down to Snyder probably needing bonus to win it.

Penn State was down by 6 points heading into the finals

They had two favorites in Zain and Nolf, two underdogs in Joseph and Hall, and one tossup. If PSU wins Zain, Nolf, and Nickal they are up by 6 heading to the heavyweights. If they win Zain, Nolf, Joseph or Hall, and lose at 184. Add in potential bonus for Zain or Nolf and PSU would have been up anywhere from 2-5 points going into heavyweight. That means Captain America has to get a win in the final match of a 1-1 series.

Playing it another way, starting at 197, if Snyder would have lost that would have meant the final match was null and void basically. 

Having Snyder vs. Coon as the final match made sure it was going to be a good one even if the team race was decided by that point.

Edited by BobDole

Someone forgot to tell Cenzo he wasn't supposed to win. I am satisfied with the order of events. Third to last match with Nickal lighting up the arena is pretty damn cool.

I think that memo went into his spam folder.

If you want something done right you definitely can't leave it up to the fans... I mean, have you seen some of the posts around here? Mine included.  

Exactly - leave it up to the fans and the final match would've been Chuck Norris vs. Grumpy Cat. Smh.

Plus starting with Lee vs Suriano is good for people tuning in on ESPN. If a casual viewer tunes in and the first match is a 1-0 win on riding time they will probably not want to watch any more. I really think the first few matches need to be action packed to keep people watching on ESPN who may not typically watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ESPN was banking on MyMar beating Nickal and having the team score come down to Snyder/Coon.

Do you think anyone would have tuned in to watch who wasn't already watching, had that happened?

Or put another way: Do you think anyone stopped watching after the team race was wrapped up?

I know, historically, a lot of people tune out of the heavyweight bouts but I don't think people were tuning out of this heavyweight bout.

I don't think people tune in for the team race.

I think Penn State would get more Penn State supporters watching them in an NCAA dual championship than they get in the NCAA individual championship.

Edited by Pinnum

Do you think anyone would have tuned in to watch who wasn't already watching, had that happened?Or put another way: Do you think anyone stopped watching after the team race was wrapped up?I know, historically, a lot of people tune out of the heavyweight bouts but I don't think people were tuning out of this heavyweight bout.I don't think people tune in for the team race.I think Penn State would get more Penn State supporters watching them in an NCAA dual championship than they get in the NCAA individual championship.

A friend of mine who is a Penn State grad that knows next to nothing about wrestling tuned in and watched the finals solely because he heard how tight the team score was against Ohio State. He doesn't know the names of any of the wrestlers, although he has "heard of" Cael Sanderson. While, I agree with you that these people are probably in the extreme minority, they certainly do exist.

With that said, another the friend of mine that I watched the entire tournament with me who is an Oklahoma State fan said that he felt the entire production of the tournament seemed to revolve around Ohio State. While I didn't necessarily agree with him, I could see his point. I do also feel that ESPN was banking on/hoping for the final team score to come down to the Snyder/Coon match as it would have painted a more dramatic picture with Snyder being who he is and the obstical he was facing in Adam Coon.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

A friend of mine who is a Penn State grad that knows next to nothing about wrestling tuned in and watched the finals solely because he heard how tight the team score was against Ohio State. He doesn't know the names of any of the wrestlers, although he has "heard of" Cael Sanderson. While, I agree with you that these people are probably in the extreme minority, they certainly do exist.

I'm not sure why anyone would doubt that.  It sounds like you're describing a couple of posters on this forum. 

So who does actually decide the last bout? Anyone know?

My opinion the right call was made. Snyder vs Coon was the marquee match up without a doubt. I would say the most anticipated bout of the whole tournament. The second most anticipated final (once we got there), was Lee vs Suriano. Some may say Nickal vs Martin, but the is solely based on the team race. while MyMar has gotten him a couple times, the history of that duel is one sided. There were too many variables, however likely or unlikely, too many variables that would have to fall in place to set the lineup based on team race. The two marquee marquee match-ups first and last, with some real intrigue and drama sprinkled in between. Who ever set the line up called it right.

So who does actually decide the last bout? Anyone know?

My opinion the right call was made. Snyder vs Coon was the marquee match up without a doubt. I would say the most anticipated bout of the whole tournament. The second most anticipated final (once we got there), was Lee vs Suriano. Some may say Nickal vs Martin, but the is solely based on the team race. while MyMar has gotten him a couple times, the history of that duel is one sided. There were too many variables, however likely or unlikely, too many variables that would have to fall in place to set the lineup based on team race. The two marquee marquee match-ups first and last, with some real intrigue and drama sprinkled in between. Who ever set the line up called it right.

The NCAA and ESPN.

The decision was made long before the first whistle though.