Sign in to follow this  
raslindad

DelSanto

I don't think the refs really understood what was going on.  A little shoving and a few open handed smacks happen at least a few times every tournament and usually just result in penalty points and -1 unsportsmanlike rather than a DQ. But the cartwheel to attempted head kick, followed by him trying to lock up a Kimura, is an entirely different level of flagrant. Truly an embarrassing display. 

Here's what I don't get about this sport.  We pride ourselves so heavily by over romanticizing the sport.  Try and talk about something being wrong with Dean this season, perhaps and elbow injury and suddenly, "NO EXCUSES!!"  It was "all mental" he "didn't work hard enough this season" ect. 

Yet DeSanto does this in a match and suddenly, "He has turrets!" or "He's autistic! Give him a break."   What happened to the "no excuses" here?  I don't get that. 

I hope that DeSanto changes his attitude from negative to positive. He should issue the NCAA, Micic and his coaching staff an apology.  He's better than what he displayed the last few weeks at the NCAA's and EIWA's.  

Here's what I don't get about this sport. We pride ourselves so heavily by over romanticizing the sport. Try and talk about something being wrong with Dean this season, perhaps and elbow injury and suddenly, "NO EXCUSES!!" It was "all mental" he "didn't work hard enough this season" ect.

Yet DeSanto does this in a match and suddenly, "He has turrets!" or "He's autistic! Give him a break." What happened to the "no excuses" here? I don't get that.

I hope that DeSanto changes his attitude from negative to positive. He should issue the NCAA, Micic and his coaching staff an apology. He's better than what he displayed the last few weeks at the NCAA's and EIWA's.

No he’s not. Not until he proves otherwise. Def should send an apology and his coaches def should not have let him wrestle after that display. If he quits, he quits but to allow him to wrestle after that is very irresponsible.

He was on his way to changing the program for the better, But now he’s completely flipped the script and has changed it for the worse.

If I had to bet money, I'd say he'll get dismissed from Drexel's wrestling team. From yelling at coaches during the match to just generally being a **** on the mat, I don't think Azevedo will want to put up with him. 

No he’s not. Not until he proves otherwise. Def should send an apology and his coaches def should not have let him wrestle after that display. If he quits, he quits but to allow him to wrestle after that is very irresponsible.

He was on his way to changing the program for the better, But now he’s completely flipped the script and has changed it for the worse.

I agree that his coaches should have disciplined him more, but historically speaking there is more in a possible 4 time All american than there is in doing the right thing. 

I really want to like the kid for his drive, but to make effort to injure opponents when things don't go your way? Nuh-uh. I really do hope that Azevedo is addressing these issues and being stern. The program is in Azevedo's control, not DeSanto's.

I am not an expert, however when you spout armchair diagnosis on a topic you know little about, misinformation needs to be corrected.

Ha.  When I said "it seems to me," clearly I was stating an opinion.  Can we not have opinions anymore?  Do you know if DeSanto has aspergers or not?  So please get off your soapbox. 

He freaked out at the end of his quarterfinal with Mueller at Cliff Keen too.  Mueller was on top and he does a couple standing granbys/no hands cartwheels with Mueller on his back with a leg in and when that fails to shake Mueller he stands up for a third time and does the old jump backwards on top of your opponent for an illegal slam.  That's 3 of his 7 losses this season that he's given up a point in the closing seconds for an illegal technique.  It's crazy. 

The other loss at NCAAs was in sudden victory so he didn't have a chance to freak out in that he wasn't trailing at the end.  The loss at the scuffle he knocked himself silly by hitting his head on the mat when executing a mat return on Mueller and had to med default with a concussion.  In his interview after beating Mueller at NCAAs he seems to be saying that Mueller was responsible for his injury.  Looking at the video it was more like when Lindland KOed himself with a suplex than Mueller hurting DeSanto.  The only match I've seen where he was losing at the end and did not freak out was the 3rd place match at Cliff Keen.  Couldn't find a video of his loss in the ISU dual so there could be two.

Quarterfinal at Cliff Keen

https://www.flowrestling.org/video/6051811-133-lbs-quarterfinal-jack-mueller-virginia-vs-austin-desanto-drexel

Ha.  When I said "it seems to me," clearly I was stating an opinion.  Can we not have opinions anymore?  Do you know if DeSanto has aspergers or not?  So please get off your soapbox.

What are you basing this uneducated opinion on? A temper tantrum from DeSanto? I am on the soapbox because I have a brother on the spectrum and I am tired of jerks like you making armchair generalizations spreading bad information.