Sign in to follow this  
raslindad

DelSanto

What are you basing this uneducated opinion on? A temper tantrum from DeSanto? I am on the soapbox because I have a brother on the spectrum and I am tired of jerks like you making armchair generalizations spreading bad information.

You seem to be the one acting like a jerk right now to jeff

What are you basing this uneducated opinion on? A temper tantrum from DeSanto? I am on the soapbox because I have a brother on the spectrum and I am tired of jerks like you making armchair generalizations spreading bad information.

Actually no (there you go assuming what I am basing my opinion on), I based my opinion on what I have seen from this young man over the last year.  I see several of these behaviors from DeSanto, read below: 

The following behaviors are often associated with Asperger syndrome. However, they are seldom all present in any one individual and vary widely in degree:

• limited or inappropriate social interactions

• "robotic" or repetitive speech

• challenges with nonverbal communication (gestures, facial expression, etc.) coupled with average to above average verbal skills

• tendency to discuss self rather than others

• inability to understand social/emotional issues or nonliteral phrases

• lack of eye contact or reciprocal conversation

• obsession with specific, often unusual, topics

• one-sided conversations

• awkward movements and/or mannerisms

https://www.autismspeaks.org/what-autism/asperger-syndrome

Not sure how you make the leap that I am attacking anyone in anyway, including your brother.  I am sorry you are angry, but again, I am just expressing an opinion here. 

Well I think Steamboat might be right, and that the ref may have not realized what was actually going on, in that moment. I do think though, there have enough examples of his behavior, to have this formally brought to the coach's attention, and then brought to the attention of DeSanto. And when I mean brought to his attention, is a formal meeting where is told that his actions will have consequences, and that this type of behavior reflects badly on him, the school, and the coaching staff. Hopefully, afterwards he learns from this and changes his behavior.

Now if this meeting has already happened, and he has still persisted in purposely harming his opponents, then he may need to be suspended for a time, and attend counseling.

How long is "a time"?   The rest of his competitive days?  Or next week?

Since this is at least the third time he has flipped out on the mat, I'd say he needs to move to another program if any other program will have him.  If I were the coach, that's pretty much how I'd present it to him.  Stop it or move on. 

mspart

Maybe he does, but you are making a poorly formed opinion based on ignorance and yes it pisses me off.

Not to keep this thread going, but I dont think I am ignorant on this subject.   I am not a PhD in ASD, but I have read a bit on Aspergers and the like.  So I think my opinion has some merit.  With your logic, I guess to have any discussion on any topic we have to have an advanced degree in that topic?  But anyway, I am glad you were able to get your rage out on this forum. 

People have been saying on social media and whatnot that Austin Desanto is functionally autistic. If that's the case, it's very much on the Drexel coaching & medical staff to work with him so that he can safely and effectively compete through the highs and lows of his condition. That includes recognizing and mitigating situations where things could escalate into something dangerous for either wrestler. Like where were the Drexel coaches' heads at when things began to spiral out of control late in the match? They should have been able to recognize it and told him to stop, or even end the match if necessary.

Secondarily, the officials should have warned, penalized and/or stopped the action when they saw things getting out of hand but I can't imagine they would have known about Desanto's condition. I get the feeling there was some sort of bystander effect type thing going on, where the coaches shifted responsibility onto the refs to control the situation, and the refs either didn't notice or assumed the Drexel coaches would control their guy.

I was a special education teacher for five years and worked with students with Asperger's. In the limited time I've seen him his actions are similar to what the students I worked with dealt with. The problem is Asperger's has such a wide range of exceptionalities that you can't base an opinion without in-depth analysis of the student. If he was in my school I guarantee he would be referred for testing. What the results are I just can't speculate on.