Sign in to follow this  
Tofurky

Chael Sonnen on College Wrestling

https://www.flowrestling.org/video/6145941-would-chael-sonnen-shorten-the-ncaa-season

What are people's thoughts on this? I like his rationale for shortening college match length.

I don't agree with him on lengthening the college season, but we all love wrestling as he does, so I understand his point.

I like CS. His perspectives are interesting, if nothing else.

Didn't read what he had to say but I've heard the idea of going 2-2-2 with 30 seconds breaks between periods like freestyle.

The idea is to eliminate the grind of the sport to focus more on technique, similar to the Russians and would also limit practice injuries because it would reduce the need to wrestle live for an hour to be in shape for a 7 minute match.

The new rules are helping eliminate the going out of bounds all the time and the stalemate.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

My thoughts:

• Match structure length: one period, five minutes or two periods of three minutes each
  • Riding time: cumulative and it only counts when nearfall points have been awarded.
  • Add the step out rule; no more ambiguity in refereeing. One point per step out.
  • Season: Open tournaments can begin after the first semester/trimester ends in December and season will run through mid-April
  • Riding clock: top man has 20 seconds to turn bottom man; no nearfall, you go back on your feet. Cumulative riding time will be kept, but only administered in case of the second point.

I like some of Tofurky's ideas. My thoughts on what I would like to see:

Two (3) minutes periods, both start on their feet with a 30-40 second break between periods to talk to your coaches and dry off/get water. This allows for match dynamics to change from one half to the next and adjustments to be made. I think the slight break and shortened match will only help with offense as guys will be slightly more rested and not have to worry about saving energy to the same degree they do now.

Get rid of riding time. It's so hard to explain to non-familiar people and confuses them. I don't think it adds much in its current form and adding a requirement for points to be scored is even harder to follow.

Start the season in Mid-December with the first events starting in early January and end it in early-mid April. 

Emphasize dual meets during this time with premier tournaments (Midlands, Scuffle and Vegas to cover both coasts and central US) being the other main focus (keep opens and other tourneys but really look at these big events more.

Let a guy ride on top if he's trying to turn, but if a stalemate would be called put them back on their feet. Keep nearfall as is and I think this format works really well as nearfall is not worth so much more than a TD as it is now. Escapes and reversals still score the same.

Out of bounds when one guy has control = neutral restart. OOB from neutral = stalling, no action calls allowed. First person to step out gives up the point regardless of circling and pushing the other guy all the way out of bounds.

This will likely never happen in folk, but if you had a "danger zone" make OT unlimited with first to score wins. The danger zone starting line is now the OOB line effectively shrinking the mat size by a couple feet in each direction.

My 2 cents.

Didn't read what he had to say but I've heard the idea of going 2-2-2 with 30 seconds breaks between periods like freestyle.

The idea is to eliminate the grind of the sport to focus more on technique, similar to the Russians and would also limit practice injuries because it would reduce the need to wrestle live for an hour to be in shape for a 7 minute match.

The new rules are helping eliminate the going out of bounds all the time and the stalemate.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

To me, this really should start by getting emphasized in practice. A ton of practices these days are just live wrestling or even situational live wrestling. Or there is enough live wrestling at the end and it gets competitive enough that guys don't put the emphasis, will, and energy into really drilling and doing chain type drills.  Guys are so much better at scrambling nowadays and that was learned, over a long period of time, by wrestling tons of matches and learning by the seats of their pants. 

I think the Russians don't spend much energy live wrestling at all. Its all very much like learning pugilistic dancing or a martial art to them.  Miagi only entered Danielson in the Valley tournament to get the bullies off him.  Johnny's sensei was much more American wrestling coach in that movie. Not the dirty stuff or the antagonist part. 

If you can ride the man out for the entire period you automatically win the match.  Maybe these youngsters would learn how to escape then.

Interesting, never heard of this one before. That would be a sight to see in some cases! Have heard some who want a point for each 30 seconds of ride time.

Overall, I enjoy reading all these ideas for different rules.

Interesting ideas but I hate the idea of putting people on their feet after so much time(like freestyle).  I think some of the recent stalling calls have made it harder to just ride and even a good top wrestler needs some time to turn a man.  Think how many fewer pins there would be if we put them on their feet after 20-30 secs.  Zain takes a good 40 secs just to get his guy flat in many cases.

martin_klein_1912_olympics_pho10004039.jStockholm, 1912

In a semifinal match in Greco-Roman's 75kg (165.5 lbs) division, Martin Klein, an Estonian representing Russia, and Finland's Alfred Asikainen grappled in the hot sun for 11 hours and 40 minutes - pausing briefly every 30 minutes to refresh - before Klein finally won by pin. Too exhausted to contest the final, Klein took silver. Stockholm's official report attributed the wrestlers' endurance and desire to "the prospect of winning an Olympic gold medal," but also conceded that, "some alteration must be made in the rules, in order to provide against a repetition of such lengthy contests which are altogether too wearying for the public." Time limits would be imposed for the first time on Olympic wrestling matches in 1924.

Antwerp, 1920