Sign in to follow this  
jeffr_ideal

Ronnie Perry - TD or no TD?

I remember that sequence and after watching it again I am confident with the call on the mat being correct. Zain's constant motion and having the wherewithal to push on Perry's neck is, I believe, what saved him there.

That said, I was psyched to see Ronnie Perry keep the match to a four point decision. Really good match!

...and the result is still a DEC? Did not look like control to me. For Zain, not impressed his last two matches. His Semi's he didn't cut quick enough in the 3rd when it was obvious he should have. Zain was wrestling for Zain. Wanted the 3rd more than PSU's team win.

I'll never understand the mindset of "comments" like this.

Agreed; it reminds me of the folks who feel that a kid who smokes everyone in high school should then smoke everyone in college. Maybe Ronnie is just that good and was prepared for the match. That's no slam on ZR.

TD. Was called a TD all weekend. All supporting points down with opponent on top, if just for a split second.

I disagree 100%, Perry didn’t have the second leg or cover the hips with any sort of control. Not sure what you saw to say that was called all weekend.

Edited by Ogalthorpe Haywood

It is a critique.  I have given Zain plenty of praise, but he didn't wrestle or risk to get bonus his last two matches.  I've seen probably all of his college matches--he wasn't as aggressive as he normally was. 

It's his internet muscles he's flexing. Probably while wearing an Affliction shirt.

It is?  Explain?  As far as Affliction, nope, but apparently comes to your mind.  1st in your rotation? 

I believe in this era of the instantaneous scoring, with no such thing as reaction time, it was awfully close.  I could give two when he was on his hip for just a moment, but if I was the coach I would have used the challenge if I had one.  Perry sure represented himself well, but even in this sequence, Zain is just keeping him off balance, and constantly adjusting his positioning.  What a great collegiate wrestler.  I'm curious to see his final statistics.  His freshman year, he made a huge splash, and winds up just thrashing his opponents the last two seasons.

It was very very close. So close in my opinion that if it had been reviewed would have been very hard to overturn. Likewise, so close that I could easily see if another ref was on the whistle it could have been called two, and that review would have been very hard to overturn. Certainly close enough that this "discussion over cuz I said so" stuff is kind of silly.

The bigger picture, this is a prime example of why I love the international styles so much more than folk. Forget the black and white of the current rule book and just take basic philosophy of the sport, that sequence should reward the offensive wrestler with points. Great job by the defensive wrestler to scramble and get out of trouble, but the offensive wrestler should score there. Just my opinion.

It was very very close. So close in my opinion that if it had been reviewed would have been very hard to overturn. Likewise, so close that I could easily see if another ref was on the whistle it could have been called two, and that review would have been very hard to overturn. Certainly close enough that this "discussion over cuz I said so" stuff is kind of silly.

The bigger picture, this is a prime example of why I love the international styles so much more than folk. Forget the black and white of the current rule book and just take basic philosophy of the sport, that sequence should reward the offensive wrestler with points. Great job by the defensive wrestler to scramble and get out of trouble, but the offensive wrestler should score there. Just my opinion.

I see your point but the thing that is nice about folkstyle over freestyle is how much more objective the rules try to be. Folkstyle is much more about establishing control where as free is more about exposure and movement.

As far as movement and danger vs establishing control, that is precisely why I prefer freestyle. You put your opponent in danger you score, period. Without the fine line of establishing control or not, where did you establish control. Was it beyond reaction time. And I don't see how you say folkstyle is more objective. In freestyle if you go out of bounds it's a point, period. Without the subjectivity of did they go out of bounds stalling, or fleeing. If you start a scoring action inbounds and it finishes out of bounds it scores, period. Without the subjectivity of was control established before the action goes out of bounds. Again, Was there enough reaction time beyond control (I know RT is not prevalent in college, but is in high school). You turn a guy its scores, period. And you can as many times as you want, without the subjectivity of did the bottom man get back to a defendable position before top can score again. So, I don't see how it is at all more objective.

It's really not one over the other, it's a matter of preference. We could go the one over the other route, but the entire world outside of the US seems to be on the freestyle side of that argument.

Edited by Lurker