Sign in to follow this  
DF

Something that's keeping Snyder from being considered the best 3x champ ever

I’m sure the Olympic Gold medal and 2 World Championships make up for it, because he did it while he was in college.

That's amateur freestyle wrestling, different sport.  The topic is best 3x college folkstyle wrestler.  Besides, guys like John Smith and Cael who also won gold at the olympics never got pinned in college.

That's amateur freestyle wrestling, different sport. The topic is best 3x college folkstyle wrestler. Besides, guys like John Smith and Cael who also won gold at the olympics never got pinned in college.

They won Olympic gold while they were in college?

They won Olympic gold while they were in college?

You're missing the point.  Winning a gold medal in freestyle wrestling before, during, or after college doesn't "make up" for or have any relevance to being the best 3x NCAA champ.

Edited by DF

I consider him the greatest American wrestler ever upon graduating college. Everyone can have their own opinion on the semantics, whether Olympic and world golds trump the almighty NCAA or whether they don't. Or whether losing by fall in the NCAA finals as a freshman carries more weight than those gold medals.

Didn't look like he tried too hard to get off his back, no bridge, nuthin.  And he kinda gave Gadson the leg to trip.  I'm gonna say it falls under the category of self pin (perhaps Synder even excepting the standard fee for throwing the match...can't recall the going price back then for giving up a fall in the NCAA finals, somewhere between $2500-5000 I believe.

So yeah, self pin not as bad as real pin.

I know that is one of the cases where a guy is just stuck, but some of the high level guys don't seem to fight very hard once they get thrown to their back. Is it the shock of looking at the lights or am I totally off base on this one?

I know that is one of the cases where a guy is just stuck, but some of the high level guys don't seem to fight very hard once they get thrown to their back. Is it the shock of looking at the lights or am I totally off base on this one?

That may be the case in some instances but a lot of times, falls are called so quick that some might think “I’m toast anyway, why bother bridging.”

Nato and IMar come to mind

They've never spent time in that position so they dont know what to do.

Edited by BigTenFanboy