Sign in to follow this  
gutfirst

best college hwt?

6f9910dea7743e248935db5a1a4048f2.jpg I agree. His bio says he won HS state championship (1) but never apparently competed in regular season as his high school didn’t have active team. Yes, he was a special talent. I saw him compete in Ames. Strong

Haselrig when his demons didn't get the best of him was a pretty laid back and good guy. He did the "Beat the Streets" part of a camp I worked once. Nice, kind, and not comfortable in showing technique. I got the feel he did what he did and it worked. Even in his later 40's I could see how that would work for him. Guy was huge, and huge in an athlete way.

Greatest legendary one that I did not see live but read a lot about would be the incomparable Chris Taylor. I do not think anyone could beat him. If he hadn’t gone to JC in first two years. He might have been the first four time NCAA champion.

There are lot of great heavyweights in recent NCAA history- Bruce Baumgartner, Jimmy Jackson, Lou Banach, Howard Harris, Tommy Rowlands, Carlton Haseling, Stephen Neal, Cole Konrad, Steve Mocco, Gwiz, Sylvester Terkay, Kurt Angle, Jon Llewellyn, and Kyle Snyder.

However, I would go with Chris Taylor. His size and mobility was superior. He pinned nearly 90% of his opponents. I don’t think anyone would want to face him.

Greatest legendary one that I did not see live but read a lot about would be the incomparable Chris Taylor. I do not think anyone could beat him. If he hadn’t gone to JC in first two years. He might have been the first four time NCAA champion.

There are lot of great heavyweights in recent NCAA history- Bruce Baumgartner, Jimmy Jackson, Lou Banach, Howard Harris, Tommy Rowlands, Carlton Haseling, Stephen Neal, Cole Konrad, Steve Mocco, Gwiz, Sylvester Terkay, Kurt Angle, Jon Llewellyn, and Kyle Snyder.

However, I would go with Chris Taylor. His size and mobility was superior. He pinned nearly 90% of his opponents. I don’t think anyone would want to face him.

Except that he wasn't even a two time JC champ. 1st and 3rd.

Except that he wasn't even a two time JC champ. 1st and 3rd.

Had he been coached by Legendary Dr Harold Nichols all four years. He probably would have been. One thing is that I wasn’t sure when the freshman year is allowed in wrestling? 1970? If it was then, it would have been three time NCAA champ for Chris Taylor.

Jim Nance deserves to be in the conversation: a heavyweight who wrestled like a lightweight.

Nance is in the Patriot's Hall of Fame.  He led the AFL in rushing,  He was a 2x NCAA champ.

And name one other guy that had a weight class created just for him.

Jim Nance deserves to be in the conversation: a heavyweight who wrestled like a lightweight.

Nance is in the Patriot's Hall of Fame.  He led the AFL in rushing,  He was a 2x NCAA champ.

And name one other guy that had a weight class created just for him.

Nance lost to an NAIA kid in the semis one year.

It produces match-up issues when you include the unlimited guys.  I believe Snyder could beat Hasslerig yet no way he could beat Jimmy Jackson.  On the other hand, I'm not sure if JJ could handle Hasslerig.  I wrestled at OSU with Jimmy and I believe he had athleticism matching Reggie White. (Famous Packer)  I know I ran a 4.7 as an Oklahoma High School kid and JJ could outrun me when we played two below football.  He weighed 365 at the time.

Edited by Peso

Doesn't this category need to be separated into unlimited and 285?

In that case, I believe that Tab Thacker was the last true Unlimited NCAA champion in 1984.  He weighed 450 lbs. that time.

thacker.jpg Tab Thacker vs Lou Banach (Lou Banach won by a pin in 1982 NCAA quarterfinals)

Edited by Buckeyebison

Jay Hammond described to me Nance's one loss. It was like ten shots by Nance vs two for his opponent, but he stepped aside and got called for going out of bounds to lose 2-1, and had no interest in consolations.

Never asked him how he thought Nance-Hasselrig would go.

I think there was a Hasselrig wrestling this year for Johnstown or one of the nearby schools. Don't know if her was Carlton's or his cousin's son.

How good was Curly Culp? Looks like a monster in pics

I asked Russ Hellickson how he would have done with Curley.

He indicated that it would have been no contest- Curley would have easily beaten Russ.  Of course, Russ was a 190 lber in college and got much better later, but not sure that would have mattered.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/article324434/Former-Chiefs-great-Curley-Culp-muscles-his-way-into-the-Hall-of-Fame.html

Edited by BadgerMon