Sign in to follow this  
Aviator12

Who is Okie State gonna leave out next season?

Gun to your head, which one of these guys transfers out or is on the bench?

Daton Fix (sarcasm off)

Nick Piccininni

Kaid Brock

Boo Lewallen

Kaden Gfeller

Assuming 157-Hwy consists of some combination of:

JoJo Smith

Chandler Rogers

Jacobe Smith

A Marsden

Weigel

Derek White

Geo Martinez and Keegan Moore can still be in the convo as well.

One really good wrestler is gonna be left out, who do you think it is?

My pick is Piccininni and I think he transfers back somewhere closer to home. I think he gets a full release from Smith simply because of the bad hand he’s dealt, and he still is able to compete next season right away with two years of eligibility left.

Your guess(s)?

Edit: is there a deeper team than Okie State headed into next season??

Edited by Aviator12

I think it'll be Geo and Moore left out

Picc's frame is just fine for either 125 or 133.   Probably better off at 133 because right now he looks sucked out. 

125- Fix/Picc

133- Picc/Fix

141- Brock

149- Gfeller

157- Boo

165- Smith/Rogers

174- Rogers/Smith

184- Ja. Smith

197- Weigel

Hwt- White

Big opportunity for John Smith to show progression.  Allow your kids to grow and get better.  The weight cutting really bit them in the ass in several cases over the last few years.  If he doesn't do it this next year, he will be a lost cause.

Edited by LemonPie

If Picc went 133, that would be FOUR guys moving up a weight class in one offseason. Has that ever been done before? Not saying it won’t work, or it won’t happen, but that just seems like a lot on he surface. Brock looks like an average 133 size, he would get man handled at 141 IMO.

Actually that would have SIX guys moving up a weight. If you have Lewallen going 57, then presumably you have Smith going 65. That bumps Rogers up to 74, and Jacobe Smith up to 84 putting both Marsden and Moore on the bench with Weigel at 97. That is unless JoJo jumps two weight classes to 74 and keeps Chandler at 165. Either way that is an insane amount of guys moving up a weight class at one time. They wouldn’t have to do cardio as a team all season lol.

Edited by Aviator12

Can Daton Fix make 125? I thought he might also be kind of big for the weight class, and wasn't sure why he wrestled 130something in high school - like if it was too hard of a cut, or if he wanted a bigger challenge up a weight, or if he just didn't need to worry about weight bc he could win at whatever weight he was at.

Actually that would have SIX guys moving up a weight. If you have Lewallen going 57, then presumably you have Smith going 65. That bumps Rogers up to 75, and Jacobe Smith up to 84 putting both Marsden and Moore on the bench with Weigel at 97. That is unless JoJo jumps two weight classes to 74 and keeps Chandler at 165. Either way thatnis an insane amount of weight class moving.

Yes, 6.

When you score 37.5 points, time to ditch status quo

I think it'll be Geo and Moore left out

Picc's frame is just fine for either 125 or 133.   Probably better off at 133 because right now he looks sucked out. 

125- Fix/Picc

133- Picc/Fix

141- Brock

149- Gfeller

157- Boo

165- Smith/Rogers

174- Rogers/Smith

184- Ja. Smith

197- Weigel

Hwt- White

Big opportunity for John Smith to show progression.  Allow your kids to grow and get better.  The weight cutting really bit them in the ass in several cases over the last few years.  If he doesn't do it this next year, he will be a lost cause.

What kid was hurt by weight cutting?

Can Daton Fix make 125? I thought he might also be kind of big for the weight class, and wasn't sure why he wrestled 130something in high school - like if it was too hard of a cut, or if he wanted a bigger challenge up a weight, or if he just didn't need to worry about weight bc he could win at whatever weight he was at.

he wrestled that high his senior year because why not?

he could have won state in OK all the way up to 170... it was the best slot for his team who actually won OK state for the first time... ever

125 Picc

133 Fix

141 Brock

149 Boo

157 Geo

165 Smith

174 Smith

184 Moore/Rogers

197 Weigel

285 White

I think John Smith loves Picc and I think it helps decide Fix is at 133. 

I think Rogers is the most likely AA to be left out.  I don't think he can beat Jacobe Smith and I think Smith's ceiling is actually higher next year.  I also don't think he'd have any chance with Joe Smith.  

I would not be surprised in Lewallen or Gadenfeller beat Brock at 141.  If either were better on top I'd expect it.  

I think Lewallen/Gadenfellar/Brock/Moran are all 141s.  I don't think any are big enough for 157.  I wish one had 157 circled today and was already putting size on.  I fear all 4 will be trying for their best weight and that will leave a solid Martinez at 157.  

I think Moore got his act together the last month of the season and looked very good during that stretch.  I think the loser of the Smith/Smith/Rogers trio at 165/174 would have a hard time beating Moore at 184 because of size.  If Moore is on straight outside the wrestling room next year I think he's a very good 'weak link'.

Weigel tore a pec early and ruined his knee late.  I think if he's healthy he's a title contender.  

I think White can beat any heavy next year who is not huge.  Guys like Stoll or Hughes from Hofstra gave him trouble this year, but he was fantastic against anyone under 260.  He wrestled Snyder very tough, went 25-4, had wins over Hall, Wood, Miller, and Haines, and his only losses were Hughes twice, Stoll in OT, and Snyder.  I think if/how high he places next year depends on how the bracket falls and where he runs into a behemoth.  With Snyder, Coon, Kasper, Dhesi, Hughes, and Butler graduating, he could realistically start the year #3 or 4 behind only Nevills and Stoll and maybe Hemida.  

Edited by boconnell

Actually that would have SIX guys moving up a weight. If you have Lewallen going 57, then presumably you have Smith going 65. That bumps Rogers up to 74, and Jacobe Smith up to 84 putting both Marsden and Moore on the bench with Weigel at 97. That is unless JoJo jumps two weight classes to 74 and keeps Chandler at 165. Either way that is an insane amount of guys moving up a weight class at one time. They wouldn’t have to do cardio as a team all season lol.

That would be a recipe for 10 place as well :)

For the mentions in this thread about OSU guys cutting too much, who even looked particularly big? I can definitely see saying they need to, if possible, to get the best lineup on the mat, but I'm not sure the guys who finished below seed (and weren't injured) Picc, Brock and Heil would have done better up a weight. 

Joe Smith seems most likely to bump up because it seems he might have the best case for having too hard of a cut. Other than him, it would take a lot of work to get guys who seem like average, at best, sized for their weight up to being average sized for the new weight. I don't know that having 10 undersized guys is any more of a recipe for success.

If Picc went 133, that would be FOUR guys moving up a weight class in one offseason. Has that ever been done before? Not saying it won’t work, or it won’t happen, but that just seems like a lot on he surface. Brock looks like an average 133 size, he would get man handled at 141 IMO.

A lot guys moved from 184 to 197 Cael's third year competing.

125 Picc

133 Fix

141 Brock

149 Boo

157 Geo

165 Smith

174 Smith

184 Moore/Rogers

197 Weigel

285 White

I think John Smith loves Picc and I think it helps decide Fix is at 133.

I think Rogers is the most likely AA to be left out. I don't think he can beat Jacobe Smith and I think Smith's ceiling is actually higher next year. I also don't think he'd have any chance with Joe Smith.

I would not be surprised in Lewallen or Gadenfeller beat Brock at 141. If either were better on top I'd expect it.

I think Lewallen/Gadenfellar/Brock/Moran are all 141s. I don't think any are big enough for 157. I wish one had 157 circled today and was already putting size on. I fear all 4 will be trying for their best weight and that will leave a solid Martinez at 157.

I think Moore got his act together the last month of the season and looked very good during that stretch. I think the loser of the Smith/Smith/Rogers trio at 165/174 would have a hard time beating Moore at 184 because of size. If Moore is on straight outside the wrestling room next year I think he's a very good 'weak link'.

Weigel tore a pec early and ruined his knee late. I think if he's healthy he's a title contender.

I think White can beat any heavy next year who is not huge. Guys like Stoll or Hughes from Hofstra gave him trouble this year, but he was fantastic against anyone under 260. He wrestled Snyder very tough, went 25-4, had wins over Hall, Wood, Miller, and Haines, and his only losses were Hughes twice, Stoll in OT, and Snyder. I think if/how high he places next year depends on how the bracket falls and where he runs into a behemoth. With Snyder, Coon, Kasper, Dhesi, Hughes, and Butler graduating, he could realistically start the year #3 or 4 behind only Nevills and Stoll and maybe Hemida.

Dont see how you keep Gfeller out of the lineup...

https://www.wrestlestat.com/wrestler/49261/gfeller-kaden/profile

Dont see how you keep Gfeller out of the lineup...

https://www.wrestlestat.com/wrestler/49261/gfeller-kaden/profile

He could be the best guy from 141-149 or he could not make the lineup.  He beat Karam, Storr, and Nick Lee and lost only to Jack, Eierman, and Heil.  But it's honestly tough to say exactly where he fits.  I think Boo had wins that were just as good at 141 in 2016 and then AAd when he was clearly undersized.  Brock can be beat by anyone who can wrestle on top so who knows.  

It's tough to keep Gfeller out of the lineup but he'll probably need to displace an AA to get in the lineup.