Sign in to follow this  
KSchlosser

Cleveland State Job is Open

Always liked Ben on a personal level as he is an extremely likable person. At the same time it was disappointing that he was not able to recruit at a high enough level to win consistenly in NE Ohio. I think this job is a great opportunity for the right coach and the right staff.

http://www.csuvikings.com/sports/m-wrestl/2017-18/releases/20180323pfaa72

If I am CSU administration I ask Erik Burnett what he needs to take the job and get it done.  With his youth club and track record of developing college wrestlers I believe any parent in NE Ohio would answer his call and give consideration to his plan. I would assume he could put together a pretty good staff or recent college grads and coaches he has worked with over the years. Other phone calls I make are to J Jaggers and Mike Kulczycki for state and local ties and if I were EB considerring this job I call Mike.

Edited by KSchlosser

Always liked Ben on a personal level as he is an extremely likable person. At the same time it was disappointing that he was not able to recruit at a high enough level to win consistenly in NE Ohio. I think this job is a great opportunity for the right coach and the right staff.

http://www.csuvikings.com/sports/m-wrestl/2017-18/releases/20180323pfaa72

If I am CSU administration I ask Erik Burnett what he needs to take the job and get it done. With his youth club and track record of developing college wrestlers I believe any parent in NE Ohio would answer his call and give consideration to his plan. I would assume he could put together a pretty good staff or recent college grads and coaches he has worked with over the years. Other phone calls I make are to J Jaggers and Mike Kulczycki for state and local ties and if I were EB considerring this job I call Mike.

Is the salary good enough there to get one of these big names? Maybe the answer is something less flashy, like a guy from HS or D2 that will run a clean program, develop talent, and stick around.

Replace him with another Ben, Ben Askren.  I know he wouldnt move out of Wisky, but it fits his profile.  Hard working, blue collar, not making UFC (Big10), a fertile wrestling ground that needs revitaliztion (NE Ohio slipping to Central Ohio).  He would be perfect. 

Romano did it in NE Ohio in Div. 2, with little name recognition.

Edited by jeffr_ideal

(NE Ohio slipping to Central Ohio). 

I don't want to bad mouth Central Ohio, but the district crapped the bed this year in terms of hs state competition. Maddox did well, Brady (recent VT commit so i meantion him) was tough but injured in january, but not many names from this years class looking to make a D1 impact in college any time soon. They got some freshmen and sophomores that may make a name if they continue to progress but several didn't place this year and a lot of the upperclassmen underperformed in regards to their past history or their projections.

Edited by KSchlosser

Replace him with another Ben, Ben Askren.  I know he wouldnt move out of Wisky, but it fits his profile.  Hard working, blue collar, not making UFC (Big10), a fertile wrestling ground that needs revitaliztion (NE Ohio slipping to Central Ohio).  He would be perfect. 

Romano did it in NE Ohio in Div. 2, with little name recognition.

We've discussed Askren as a potential coach many times in this forum. The general consensus seems to be he's talked himself out of any HC job.

Anthony Ralph coached at Notre Dame and lead them to a lot of D2 success. Tom Ryan brought him into Ohio State a couple years back. I think someone that said he put his name in for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cleveland State should go directly to Erik Burnett and beg him to become the head wrestling coach and the next stop would be to the home of Scott Burnett to make him the number one assistant coach.  These two brothers know how to coach wrestling!

There's no shortage of very high level HS coaches in Ohio who **could** possibly have great success in college. With that being said, if Admin is as serious as people claim I doubt they go that route. 

As a Central District (Ohio) Coach; Yeah, this was not a good year but in general the development is trending the right way. Im not saying we're going to overtake Cleveland by any means, but I think you'll see more High level recruits come out of our area. Mattox and Brady are great examples. Then you Look at guys like Taleb Rahmani, and further back to Josh Demas, Caleb Marsh, etc... interestingly enough, both of their brothers are signed to/attending D1 schools. With Demas at Oklahoma, and Marsh signed to Princeton.  

Edited by iGranby

I am kind of surprised that Josh Moore has not been mentioned much.  Looks like he is pretty settled in the Cleveland area.  His brother is HC at LHU.  Seems like he would be the obvious choice. 

It is also being reported that they released their #1 recruit, Vic Marcelli from his commitment.  He is free to sign with another school. 

Edited by jeffr_ideal

Does anyone have an idea of the sort of support the team receives from the university?

In short:

Well, the school eliminated all University funding for wrestling at the end of the 2015 season. http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2015/03/cleveland_state_university_will_no_longer_fund_wrestling_but_will_add_lacrosse.html

The program only survived because students voted to raise their own fees to fund wrestling. http://www.cleveland.com/sports/college/index.ssf/2015/04/cleveland_state_students_vote.html

A little more info:

The Athletic Director wanted to start a Lax program but the University President wouldn't raise the Athletic budget. So the Athletic Director took it to the students and there was a vote on raising student fees to fund a men's Lax program. The students voted overwhelmingly 'No' on the issue.

Then the Athletic Director announced that they would no longer be funding the wrestling program to make room in the budget for Men's Lax. The students called for another vote and voted overwhelmingly to raise their own student fees in order to fund the wrestling program.

Cleveland State wrestling was already a (very) low budget program. Their staff did a great job in my opinion of not only working hard with their limited resources to put out a good product but also to keep the program alive every year.