Sign in to follow this  
KSchlosser

Cleveland State Job is Open

Alan Fried?

Now that Lee Kemp's son is headed to Fresno State, I wonder if he'd want to coach a college team?

Does anyone have an idea of the sort of support the team receives from the university?

what are the younger Kemp's accolades?

what are the younger Kemp's accolades?

Two-time Illinois state qualifier; placed fifth this year as a senior. (Ironically, Adam lost to the same kid, in the same round, by the same score in both years to move to the wrestlebacks)

Adam also competed at Fargo at least once.

In short:

Well, the school eliminated all University funding for wrestling at the end of the 2015 season. http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2015/03/cleveland_state_university_will_no_longer_fund_wrestling_but_will_add_lacrosse.html

The program only survived because students voted to raise their own fees to fund wrestling. http://www.cleveland.com/sports/college/index.ssf/2015/04/cleveland_state_students_vote.html

A little more info:

The Athletic Director wanted to start a Lax program but the University President wouldn't raise the Athletic budget. So the Athletic Director took it to the students and there was a vote on raising student fees to fund a men's Lax program. The students voted overwhelmingly 'No' on the issue.

Then the Athletic Director announced that they would no longer be funding the wrestling program to make room in the budget for Men's Lax. The students called for another vote and voted overwhelmingly to raise their own student fees in order to fund the wrestling program.

Cleveland State wrestling was already a (very) low budget program. Their staff did a great job in my opinion of not only working hard with their limited resources to put out a good product but also to keep the program alive every year.

Thank you, pinnum. I do remember all of that.

When you say "already a (very) low budget program," do you have a dollar amount tied to that? I think that gives the rest of us an idea as to who might apply and who will stay away from consideration.

I remember on FRL yesterday they said Cleveland had 9.5 scholarships.  Obviously that doesn't mean they aren't low budget but those schollies put them way ahead of many other programs.

If a state school isn't fully funded, it almost always means they have a set dollar figure for their scholarship budget. As a result, they are referring to in-state equivalencies and not true scholarship equivalencies.

Thank you, pinnum. I do remember all of that.

When you say "already a (very) low budget program," do you have a dollar amount tied to that? I think that gives the rest of us an idea as to who might apply and who will stay away from consideration.

CSU budgeted $105k for wrestling coaching salaries for next year. That is head coach and assistant coach(es).

Their budget to operate the program (including scholarships, travel, apparel, etc) is $260k. This number is actually lower than the previous year, and is likely lowered to handle the rise in salaries.

CSU budgeted $105k for wrestling coaching salaries for next year. That is head coach and assistant coach(es).

Their budget to operate the program (including scholarships, travel, apparel, etc) is $260k. This number is actually lower than the previous year, and is likely lowered to handle the rise in salaries.

$105K for wrestling coaching salaries... for three coaches (not including the grad assistant)... does that include benefits? Man, that is tough.

I do not know the answer to this, but why is it so tough for Cleveland State to pull in more top-notch student-wrestlers? They're right there in Cleveland, two hours from Pittsburgh, 2.5 hours from the Detroit area, 5.5 hours from Chicago... Are they bound by some internal requirements (a la Fresno State) to have X% of kids from Ohio and the Cleveland area?

$105K for wrestling coaching salaries... for three coaches (not including the grad assistant)... does that include benefits? Man, that is tough.

I do not know the answer to this, but why is it so tough for Cleveland State to pull in more top-notch student-wrestlers? They're right there in Cleveland, two hours from Pittsburgh, 2.5 hours from the Detroit area, 5.5 hours from Chicago... Are they bound by some internal requirements (a la Fresno State) to have X% of kids from Ohio and the Cleveland area?

Does not include benefits. I think they had another $30k in the budget for the cost of employee benefits but I don't recall off hand.

It is important to note that the NCAA gives schools money from their championship revenue fund based on the number of scholarships the school awards. So if you have the option of spending X on coaches salaries or X on scholarships, it can bring in more money for the school to allocate that money to scholarships rather than coaches. (The NCAA wants to incentivize schools to invest in their athletes).

There are plenty of options for recruits, not to mention D2 schools that can give scholarships too. The two biggest selling points for recruits tend to be the quality of coaches and the quality of education.