Sign in to follow this  
Photo24

PA Wrestling

McFadden was at DePaul which is not public

thank you for clarifying. I was limping all the schools (public,Catholic, private) that are allied to participate in NJSIAA State tournament. These same schools, approximately 315 of them, must abide by state policies. The few that cannot compete are Blair, St Benedict’s and a handful of others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This was definitely a weaker year by PA standards. Sasso, Beard, Hoffman, and Teasdale are the class of this year and while they are all elite wrestlers with promising careers ahead of them, I don't see a Spencer Lee, Jason Nolf, Zain Retherford, or Vincenzo Joseph among them. But then again, I didn't think Cenzo was going to be on this level coming out of HS either so what the hell do I know?

I think you know a lot PSUMike. Your posts are almost always spot on.

NJ is everyone's little annoying brother who first discovered the cologne and hair-gel aisle. 

PA

OH

CA

PA was down a little at the HS level this year though depth wise

I would honestly go 1. PA - 2. Oh - 3. NJ - 4. Cali - 5. Ill,   although the 5 spot is always up for grabs, I give Ill props for their fs and Greco success.

This was definitely a weaker year by PA standards. Sasso, Beard, Hoffman, and Teasdale are the class of this year and while they are all elite wrestlers with promising careers ahead of them, I don't see a Spencer Lee, Jason Nolf, Zain Retherford, or Vincenzo Joseph among them. But then again, I didn't think Cenzo was going to be on this level coming out of HS either so what the hell do I know?

Spencer Lee is the only one of that group that you mentioned who is ahead of this year's four guys that you mentioned. He was arguably the best high school wrestler of all-time, so that understandable. The others are on par with or ahead of where Nolf and Joseph were in high school for sure. Probably on par with Zain too. 

Malvern Prep and Wyo Sem becoming national powers is having an impact on the Eastern PA scene.  The area that Wyoming is in has not had a quality DI type kid in years.  The more PA kids choosing these options the better for PA.  but it will take away from PIAA depth

I would think the 4 kids you mentioned could all win a title

Spencer Lee is the only one of that group that you mentioned who is ahead of this year's four guys that you mentioned. He was arguably the best high school wrestler of all-time, so that understandable. The others are on par with or ahead of where Nolf and Joseph were in high school for sure. Probably on par with Zain too. 

true

Malvern Prep and Wyo Sem becoming national powers is having an impact on the Eastern PA scene.  The area that Wyoming is in has not had a quality DI type kid in years.  The more PA kids choosing these options the better for PA.  but it will take away from PIAA depth

I would think the 4 kids you mentioned could all win a title

Don't remind me. Spent the first 24 years of my life in that part of the world. 

Strange that part of Pa doesn't produce more.  D4 not too far away and does produce.  Last decent DI kids I remember were Passone and Fuller and they might have been NCAA qualifiers.  Even back in the day, not a lot from that area(Bonomo's, Dragon, Arnone).  Just like if your kid was from central Pa, you wanted him to go to Benton, that part of the state, Sem is a great option.

Let's be honest too when we talk about NJ.  We all know a 4 time Pa should beat a 2 x Jersey(no upset there).  It's the 4 time Jersey guys that struggle against our one timers! :) 

Strange that part of Pa doesn't produce more. D4 not too far away and does produce. Last decent DI kids I remember were Passone and Fuller and they might have been NCAA qualifiers. Even back in the day, not a lot from that area(Bonomo's, Dragon, Arnone). Just like if your kid was from central Pa, you wanted him to go to Benton, that part of the state, Sem is a great option.

Let's be honest too when we talk about NJ. We all know a 4 time Pa should beat a 2 x Jersey(no upset there). It's the 4 time Jersey guys that struggle against our one timers! :)

Gavin was from the area "Lackawanna Trail".

There is no doubt wrestling is hurting in PA when it comes to numbers and the weaker the area traditionally, the harder they are hit.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Strange that part of Pa doesn't produce more.  D4 not too far away and does produce.  Last decent DI kids I remember were Passone and Fuller and they might have been NCAA qualifiers.  Even back in the day, not a lot from that area(Bonomo's, Dragon, Arnone).  Just like if your kid was from central Pa, you wanted him to go to Benton, that part of the state, Sem is a great option.

Let's be honest too when we talk about NJ.  We all know a 4 time Pa should beat a 2 x Jersey(no upset there).  It's the 4 time Jersey guys that struggle against our one timers! :) 

Benton is very close so some good wrestlers from D2 will end up there. And very few in the area like or respect Sem (myself included) so going there isn't really an option. 

Who are you referring to? NJ has only ever had four 4x champs. 

Edited by romesone

Benton is very close so some good wrestlers from D2 will end up there. And very few in the area like or respect Sem (myself included) so going there isn't really an option.

Not anymore. Since Hughes left, the transfers have died off, even from D2. They even had a kid leave to a different team that won states this year defeating a former team mate in the finals.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk