Sign in to follow this  
Eagle26

Easton Coach

http://www.mcall.com/sports/varsity/mc-spt-easton-wrestling-situation-0322-story.html

Apparently Easton, Pa wrestling coach Jamar Billman was fired and then rehired over a wrestler missing weight on the third day of the state tournament. The wrestler thought he had a three pound allowance when it was only two. Billman took responsibility for it, but I'm not sure if he directly told the wrestler he had three pounds or if he just assumed he knew the rule and didn't say anything? The former would be much worse. IMO, I don't think it's a fireable offense either way, but if he did tell his wrestler three pounds that would be border line. Not sure if the kid was even able to get his state medal. He forfeited to 8th, but if he didn't make weight I think he is out of the tournament and can't get the medal right? Sad situation. I also don't think they should be playing the race card, but I admittedly don't know the full story

http://www.mcall.com/sports/varsity/mc-spt-easton-wrestling-situation-0322-story.html

Apparently Easton, Pa wrestling coach Jamar Billman was fired and then rehired over a wrestler missing weight on the third day of the state tournament. The wrestler thought he had a three pound allowance when it was only two. Billman took responsibility for it, but I'm not sure if he directly told the wrestler he had three pounds or if he just assumed he knew the rule and didn't say anything? The former would be much worse. IMO, I don't think it's a fireable offense either way, but if he did tell his wrestler three pounds that would be border line. Not sure if the kid was even able to get his state medal. He forfeited to 8th, but if he didn't make weight I think he is out of the tournament and can't get the medal right? Sad situation. I also don't think they should be playing the race card, but I admittedly don't know the full story

Reinstated.

http://www.mcall.com/sports/varsity/96223438-132.html#nt=barker&bn=Barker%2006%20-%20In%20Case%20You%20Missed%20It

It will be interesting to see what happens, if anything, to the AD and Principal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by lu_alum

Grandpa Redneck put the race card into play by physically assaulting the coach and calling him the n-word several times

Grandpa Redneck put the race card into play by physically assaulting the coach and calling him the n-word several times

Absolutely. And that should be a topic of conversation when they are discussing the charges against the grandfather. I don't see evidence that he was dismissed due to race (why would the same group of people hired him only two years ago?) so it shouldn't be a factor in that discussion. But let's not get too caught up in this at the risk of losing the thread.

Absolutely. And that should be a topic of conversation when they are discussing the charges against the grandfather. I don't see evidence that he was dismissed due to race (why would the same group of people hired him only two years ago?) so it shouldn't be a factor in that discussion. But let's not get too caught up in this at the risk of losing the thread.

I'd say if the admin contributed to the environment that allowed this to occur, then it should be a factor

They should ban grandpa forever from coming near the school or wrestling at all. No place for that in wrestling or anyplace in civilization. 

Parents drive more coaches out of coaching than anything else.

Every parent, coach and athlete should be required to watch the video of Coach Frank Martin (Basketball coach at South Carolina) talking about being a parent and how many are idiots at games.  

Here's another article:  http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/opinion/index.ssf/2018/03/firing_rehiring_of_easton_wres.html

Sounds like Billman may have given some bad info about the weigh-in rules, but he owned up to it and its hardly a fireable offense anyway.

As a aside -- why on earth would not making weight on the 3rd day of the tournament be treated as a DQ instead of a forfeit?  Seems crazy that Miers doesn't at least get his 8th place medal.  Not making weight is far more similar to not showing up (forfeit) or injury default than it is to the sort of flagrant misconduct that gets you kicked out of a tournament.  Dumb rule.

Here's another article:  http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/opinion/index.ssf/2018/03/firing_rehiring_of_easton_wres.html

Sounds like Billman may have given some bad info about the weigh-in rules, but he owned up to it and its hardly a fireable offense anyway.

As a aside -- why on earth would not making weight on the 3rd day of the tournament be treated as a DQ instead of a forfeit?  Seems crazy that Miers doesn't at least get his 8th place medal.  Not making weight is far more similar to not showing up (forfeit) or injury default than it is to the sort of flagrant misconduct that gets you kicked out of a tournament.  Dumb rule.

It was a forfeit- but you don't place. Allowing people to place that can't make weight isn't exactly a bad idea. I realize there may have been some extenuating circumstances here but the bottom line is he didn't make weight.

It was a forfeit- but you don't place. Allowing people to place that can't make weight isn't exactly a bad idea. I realize there may have been some extenuating circumstances here but the bottom line is he didn't make weight.

He had already placed in the top 8.

similar to faulting a coach for not knowing the intricacies of a rule regarding weigh-ins never granting more than a plus 2 for consecutive days, which will now probably result in a new specific example in the case book that currently addresses consecutive days and weather related allowances, but not a combination thereof (which, if it was not repeatedly stated to coaches, wrestlers and fans in attendance, should have been announced clearly), one could chastise others posting here for not being familiar with 10.2.7, which states that a wrestler must make weight each day of a tournament in order to "place" and earn a medal (even if he had already "earned" that spot).  No actual placement is given.  Deduct placement points earned. Keep advancement and bonus points.  Once had our state tourney postponed to Sat/Sun and a kid who advanced to semis could not attend and compete on Sunday due to his beliefs.  Suffice it to say we over-ruled the NFHS rulebook and awarded him the 6th place medal (but did follow the team scoring rules...just in case it was a factor).

He had already placed in the top 8.

No. (As I was posting davenowa posted the rule). If there was an injury prior to weighins they could be excused from weighing in. Basically, it's up to the organizing committee to decide in each case. It's unfortunate since it was the result of a misunderstanding but it's clearly set out in the rules (the loss of placement and points).And rule 4-5.5 adds that competitions postponed or practices that can't be held (this second part is what I believe was implemented in regards to the storm the day before) will be treated the same as days of competition- remembering that there is a max of 2 pounds.

Just shy of 40 years coaching and I shake my head. Bob Dole is right--lunatic helicopter parents (and apparently grandparents) drive many good coaches from the ranks.  I remember once I lost an overtime bout at the edge of the mat and threw my anklet backwards in disgust--hit my coach in the face.  He grabbed me and launched me up about 5 rows up into a folded back row of bleachers.  My father's comment to the coach:  "He deserved that."  My coach loved me like a son and he didn't hurt me, but he was firm and I learned a very valuable lesson about being a disrespectful jack-ass that day.  (And no, I'm not condoning being physically abusive with an athlete--if that's your reaction you've missed my point entirely; it was a very different time, and, right or wrong, very different code of ethics.  My point is that whatever Billman did or didn't do is far short of what my coach did and Billman didn't deserve being fired.)  

Just shy of 40 years coaching and I shake my head. Bob Dole is right--lunatic helicopter parents (and apparently grandparents) drive many good coaches from the ranks.  I remember once I lost an overtime bout at the edge of the mat and threw my anklet backwards in disgust--hit my coach in the face.  He grabbed me and launched me up about 5 rows up into a folded back row of bleachers.  My father's comment to the coach:  "He deserved that."  My coach loved me like a son and he didn't hurt me, but he was firm and I learned a very valuable lesson about being a disrespectful jack-ass that day.  (And no, I'm not condoning being physically abusive with an athlete--if that's your reaction you've missed my point entirely; it was a very different time, and, right or wrong, very different code of ethics.  My point is that whatever Billman did or didn't do is far short of what my coach did and Billman didn't deserve being fired.)

Well said. I've seen this meme floating around social media. I think it applies very well to both teaching and coaching.

image.jpeg

Well said. I've seen this meme floating around social media. I think it applies very well to both teaching and coaching.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Great meme.  As we've often said, back in the day the worst thing a teacher could do was paddle you for disciplinary problems and then call your house to let your parents know--you ended up getting beatdown even worse at home!  I've been a teacher for decades and I can count on one hand the times I've called home over a problem with a student.  Just not worth the hassle. 

Just shy of 40 years coaching and I shake my head. Bob Dole is right--lunatic helicopter parents (and apparently grandparents) drive many good coaches from the ranks. I remember once I lost an overtime bout at the edge of the mat and threw my anklet backwards in disgust--hit my coach in the face. He grabbed me and launched me up about 5 rows up into a folded back row of bleachers. My father's comment to the coach: "He deserved that." My coach loved me like a son and he didn't hurt me, but he was firm and I learned a very valuable lesson about being a disrespectful jack-ass that day. (And no, I'm not condoning being physically abusive with an athlete--if that's your reaction you've missed my point entirely; it was a very different time, and, right or wrong, very different code of ethics. My point is that whatever Billman did or didn't do is far short of what my coach did and Billman didn't deserve being fired.)

Did you have to walk uphill both ways to the match?

Did you have to walk uphill both ways to the match?

I guess that's an attempt at humor.  In truth, I walked off the mat with my tail between my legs and a lot more humble than when I stepped onto it.  And I never embarrassed a coach again with piss behavior again.

and now a report has come out criticizing the Easton administration's lack of openness and communication during Jamar's dismissal.

Important information was not given to some administrators but the ax fell on Billman almost instantly.  Why?  That's still to be answered.

When I wrestled, the 'making weight' problem hung over my head all through high school and college (till I caught the Hong Kong flu and lost 14 pounds in two weeks lying in bed- that year making  weight was easy.)  

My coaches assumed I knew what weight I had to make, period, including during multi-day tournaments.  When I was at states I spent the night before in a wet suit with the heat turned up in my room, trying to sweat off those final couple of pounds.  I don't remember my coach hanging over my shoulder telling me to make it or asking me if I was going to make it.  If I didn't make it it was on me, not him.

You don't make it into the final day of states not knowing the rules if you are sane. What, was the kid six years old? I have no sympathy for the kid.  And the kid's grandpa should be drawn and quartered. 

I hate to be political, but in today's environment, the first thing people do when something is wrong is to blame someone else.  Billman's race perhaps made placing that blame even easier than if he were white.  I don't want to use the 'race' card, but grandpa's words and deeds make it unavoidable.

The kid should have taken responsibility for his own actions -- but in today's America, that's not the popular option.

You're correct, never wrestled a 3 day tourney.  I did wrestle quite a few two days, some with an additional pound allowance, some with no additional pound.  I can remember carrying a match to its full length because I really needed to get a sweat going in order to make weight the next morning.  When I wrestled, I took responsibility for making weight. 

I coached for 20 years and I gave my wrestlers the respect to make weight as a part of their own commitment to an event.  I never had a kid who didn't make weight at a post-season tourney, two day tourneys included.  And I had nothing to do with it.  I just let my kids know they were in control of their own destiny and they accepted that responsibility.