25 replies to this topic

#1 Eagle26

Eagle26

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 623 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 01:14 PM

http://www.mcall.com...0322-story.html

Apparently Easton, Pa wrestling coach Jamar Billman was fired and then rehired over a wrestler missing weight on the third day of the state tournament. The wrestler thought he had a three pound allowance when it was only two. Billman took responsibility for it, but I'm not sure if he directly told the wrestler he had three pounds or if he just assumed he knew the rule and didn't say anything? The former would be much worse. IMO, I don't think it's a fireable offense either way, but if he did tell his wrestler three pounds that would be border line. Not sure if the kid was even able to get his state medal. He forfeited to 8th, but if he didn't make weight I think he is out of the tournament and can't get the medal right? Sad situation. I also don't think they should be playing the race card, but I admittedly don't know the full story

#2 lu_alum

lu_alum

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,210 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 07:30 PM

Apparently Easton, Pa wrestling coach Jamar Billman was fired and then rehired over a wrestler missing weight on the third day of the state tournament. The wrestler thought he had a three pound allowance when it was only two. Billman took responsibility for it, but I'm not sure if he directly told the wrestler he had three pounds or if he just assumed he knew the rule and didn't say anything? The former would be much worse. IMO, I don't think it's a fireable offense either way, but if he did tell his wrestler three pounds that would be border line. Not sure if the kid was even able to get his state medal. He forfeited to 8th, but if he didn't make weight I think he is out of the tournament and can't get the medal right? Sad situation. I also don't think they should be playing the race card, but I admittedly don't know the full story

Reinstated.
http://www.mcall.com...e You Missed It

It will be interesting to see what happens, if anything, to the AD and Principal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by lu_alum, 23 March 2018 - 07:38 PM.

#3 gowrestle

gowrestle

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,217 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 09:06 PM

Something is going on here and it’s a lot more than 1 pound.

#4 GuillermoBilletas

GuillermoBilletas

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,577 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 01:10 AM

Grandpa Redneck put the race card into play by physically assaulting the coach and calling him the n-word several times

• Yellow_Medal likes this

#5 BobDole

BobDole

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 03:53 AM

Parents drive more coaches out of coaching than anything else.

• JasonBryant, pjm46, Coach_J and 2 others like this

#6 Eagle26

Eagle26

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 623 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 12:19 PM

Grandpa Redneck put the race card into play by physically assaulting the coach and calling him the n-word several times

Absolutely. And that should be a topic of conversation when they are discussing the charges against the grandfather. I don't see evidence that he was dismissed due to race (why would the same group of people hired him only two years ago?) so it shouldn't be a factor in that discussion. But let's not get too caught up in this at the risk of losing the thread.

#7 GuillermoBilletas

GuillermoBilletas

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,577 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 11:38 PM

Absolutely. And that should be a topic of conversation when they are discussing the charges against the grandfather. I don't see evidence that he was dismissed due to race (why would the same group of people hired him only two years ago?) so it shouldn't be a factor in that discussion. But let's not get too caught up in this at the risk of losing the thread.

I'd say if the admin contributed to the environment that allowed this to occur, then it should be a factor

#8 TripNSweep

TripNSweep

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7,135 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 01:52 AM

They should ban grandpa forever from coming near the school or wrestling at all. No place for that in wrestling or anyplace in civilization. 

Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls. Contrary to what you've just seen, war is neither glamorous nor fun. There are no winners, only losers. There are no good wars, with the following exceptions: The American Revolution, World War II, and the Star Wars Trilogy. If you'd like to learn more about war, there's lots of books in your local library, many of them with cool, gory pictures.

#9 cbg

cbg

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 847 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 03:58 AM

Parents drive more coaches out of coaching than anything else.

Every parent, coach and athlete should be required to watch the video of Coach Frank Martin (Basketball coach at South Carolina) talking about being a parent and how many are idiots at games.  

#10 BAC

BAC

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,823 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 11:29 AM

Here's another article:  http://www.lehighval...aston_wres.html

Sounds like Billman may have given some bad info about the weigh-in rules, but he owned up to it and its hardly a fireable offense anyway.

As a aside -- why on earth would not making weight on the 3rd day of the tournament be treated as a DQ instead of a forfeit?  Seems crazy that Miers doesn't at least get his 8th place medal.  Not making weight is far more similar to not showing up (forfeit) or injury default than it is to the sort of flagrant misconduct that gets you kicked out of a tournament.  Dumb rule.

#11 gimpeltf

gimpeltf

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,465 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 01:01 PM

Here's another article:  http://www.lehighval...aston_wres.html

Sounds like Billman may have given some bad info about the weigh-in rules, but he owned up to it and its hardly a fireable offense anyway.

As a aside -- why on earth would not making weight on the 3rd day of the tournament be treated as a DQ instead of a forfeit?  Seems crazy that Miers doesn't at least get his 8th place medal.  Not making weight is far more similar to not showing up (forfeit) or injury default than it is to the sort of flagrant misconduct that gets you kicked out of a tournament.  Dumb rule.

It was a forfeit- but you don't place. Allowing people to place that can't make weight isn't exactly a bad idea. I realize there may have been some extenuating circumstances here but the bottom line is he didn't make weight.

#12 BobDole

BobDole

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 01:27 AM

It was a forfeit- but you don't place. Allowing people to place that can't make weight isn't exactly a bad idea. I realize there may have been some extenuating circumstances here but the bottom line is he didn't make weight.

He had already placed in the top 8.

#13 davenowa

davenowa
  • Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 02:24 AM

similar to faulting a coach for not knowing the intricacies of a rule regarding weigh-ins never granting more than a plus 2 for consecutive days, which will now probably result in a new specific example in the case book that currently addresses consecutive days and weather related allowances, but not a combination thereof (which, if it was not repeatedly stated to coaches, wrestlers and fans in attendance, should have been announced clearly), one could chastise others posting here for not being familiar with 10.2.7, which states that a wrestler must make weight each day of a tournament in order to "place" and earn a medal (even if he had already "earned" that spot).  No actual placement is given.  Deduct placement points earned. Keep advancement and bonus points.  Once had our state tourney postponed to Sat/Sun and a kid who advanced to semis could not attend and compete on Sunday due to his beliefs.  Suffice it to say we over-ruled the NFHS rulebook and awarded him the 6th place medal (but did follow the team scoring rules...just in case it was a factor).

#14 gimpeltf

gimpeltf

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,465 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 02:37 AM

He had already placed in the top 8.

No. (As I was posting davenowa posted the rule). If there was an injury prior to weighins they could be excused from weighing in. Basically, it's up to the organizing committee to decide in each case. It's unfortunate since it was the result of a misunderstanding but it's clearly set out in the rules (the loss of placement and points).And rule 4-5.5 adds that competitions postponed or practices that can't be held (this second part is what I believe was implemented in regards to the storm the day before) will be treated the same as days of competition- remembering that there is a max of 2 pounds.

#15 pennsyrules

pennsyrules

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,910 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 11:24 AM

I still find it hard to believe that a Grandpa could put a hand on Billman without some serious repercussions.  Give Billman credit for restraining himself because he was a tough dude!

#16 LemonPie

LemonPie

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,188 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 07:35 AM

Is Easton so bad now that the misinformation affected only one wrestler?

Anyone but Heil '18

http://contenttolosebythree.com

#17 gimpeltf

gimpeltf

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,465 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 08:32 AM

Well, he was the only Easton wrestler still active at the time.

#18 Coach_J

Coach_J

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,121 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 12:09 AM

Just shy of 40 years coaching and I shake my head. Bob Dole is right--lunatic helicopter parents (and apparently grandparents) drive many good coaches from the ranks.  I remember once I lost an overtime bout at the edge of the mat and threw my anklet backwards in disgust--hit my coach in the face.  He grabbed me and launched me up about 5 rows up into a folded back row of bleachers.  My father's comment to the coach:  "He deserved that."  My coach loved me like a son and he didn't hurt me, but he was firm and I learned a very valuable lesson about being a disrespectful jack-ass that day.  (And no, I'm not condoning being physically abusive with an athlete--if that's your reaction you've missed my point entirely; it was a very different time, and, right or wrong, very different code of ethics.  My point is that whatever Billman did or didn't do is far short of what my coach did and Billman didn't deserve being fired.)  

• Eagle26 likes this

All Motown, All the Time

www.writeondetroit.com

#19 Eagle26

Eagle26

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 623 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 09:55 AM

Just shy of 40 years coaching and I shake my head. Bob Dole is right--lunatic helicopter parents (and apparently grandparents) drive many good coaches from the ranks.  I remember once I lost an overtime bout at the edge of the mat and threw my anklet backwards in disgust--hit my coach in the face.  He grabbed me and launched me up about 5 rows up into a folded back row of bleachers.  My father's comment to the coach:  "He deserved that."  My coach loved me like a son and he didn't hurt me, but he was firm and I learned a very valuable lesson about being a disrespectful jack-ass that day.  (And no, I'm not condoning being physically abusive with an athlete--if that's your reaction you've missed my point entirely; it was a very different time, and, right or wrong, very different code of ethics.  My point is that whatever Billman did or didn't do is far short of what my coach did and Billman didn't deserve being fired.)

Well said. I've seen this meme floating around social media. I think it applies very well to both teaching and coaching.

Attached File  image.jpeg   66.94KB   19 downloads
  • Cletus_Tucker likes this

#20 Coach_J

Coach_J

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,121 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 01:05 AM

Well said. I've seen this meme floating around social media. I think it applies very well to both teaching and coaching.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Great meme.  As we've often said, back in the day the worst thing a teacher could do was paddle you for disciplinary problems and then call your house to let your parents know--you ended up getting beatdown even worse at home!  I've been a teacher for decades and I can count on one hand the times I've called home over a problem with a student.  Just not worth the hassle. 

All Motown, All the Time

www.writeondetroit.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users