Easton Coach

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 1032004

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 468 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 01:17 PM

Just shy of 40 years coaching and I shake my head. Bob Dole is right--lunatic helicopter parents (and apparently grandparents) drive many good coaches from the ranks. I remember once I lost an overtime bout at the edge of the mat and threw my anklet backwards in disgust--hit my coach in the face. He grabbed me and launched me up about 5 rows up into a folded back row of bleachers. My father's comment to the coach: "He deserved that." My coach loved me like a son and he didn't hurt me, but he was firm and I learned a very valuable lesson about being a disrespectful jack-ass that day. (And no, I'm not condoning being physically abusive with an athlete--if that's your reaction you've missed my point entirely; it was a very different time, and, right or wrong, very different code of ethics. My point is that whatever Billman did or didn't do is far short of what my coach did and Billman didn't deserve being fired.)

Did you have to walk uphill both ways to the match?

#22 Coach_J

Coach_J

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,208 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 09:47 PM

Did you have to walk uphill both ways to the match?

I guess that's an attempt at humor.  In truth, I walked off the mat with my tail between my legs and a lot more humble than when I stepped onto it.  And I never embarrassed a coach again with piss behavior again.

All Motown, All the Time

www.writeondetroit.com

#23 oldcougar

oldcougar

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,623 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 12:32 AM

and now a report has come out criticizing the Easton administration's lack of openness and communication during Jamar's dismissal.

Important information was not given to some administrators but the ax fell on Billman almost instantly.  Why?  That's still to be answered.

When I wrestled, the 'making weight' problem hung over my head all through high school and college (till I caught the Hong Kong flu and lost 14 pounds in two weeks lying in bed- that year making  weight was easy.)  

My coaches assumed I knew what weight I had to make, period, including during multi-day tournaments.  When I was at states I spent the night before in a wet suit with the heat turned up in my room, trying to sweat off those final couple of pounds.  I don't remember my coach hanging over my shoulder telling me to make it or asking me if I was going to make it.  If I didn't make it it was on me, not him.

You don't make it into the final day of states not knowing the rules if you are sane. What, was the kid six years old? I have no sympathy for the kid.  And the kid's grandpa should be drawn and quartered. 

I hate to be political, but in today's environment, the first thing people do when something is wrong is to blame someone else.  Billman's race perhaps made placing that blame even easier than if he were white.  I don't want to use the 'race' card, but grandpa's words and deeds make it unavoidable.

The kid should have taken responsibility for his own actions -- but in today's America, that's not the popular option.

I haven't reported my missing credit card to the police because whoever stole it is spending less than my wife.

#24 gimpeltf

gimpeltf

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,514 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 02:18 PM

I'm guessing you never had a pound allowance the first day with a two pound allowance max as opposed to getting another pound on the third day.

#25 oldcougar

oldcougar

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,623 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 02:38 PM

You're correct, never wrestled a 3 day tourney.  I did wrestle quite a few two days, some with an additional pound allowance, some with no additional pound.  I can remember carrying a match to its full length because I really needed to get a sweat going in order to make weight the next morning.  When I wrestled, I took responsibility for making weight. 

I coached for 20 years and I gave my wrestlers the respect to make weight as a part of their own commitment to an event.  I never had a kid who didn't make weight at a post-season tourney, two day tourneys included.  And I had nothing to do with it.  I just let my kids know they were in control of their own destiny and they accepted that responsibility.  

• gimpeltf likes this

I haven't reported my missing credit card to the police because whoever stole it is spending less than my wife.

#26 Cletus_Tucker

Cletus_Tucker

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,361 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 04:54 PM

I guess that's an attempt at humor.  In truth, I walked off the mat with my tail between my legs and a lot more humble than when I stepped onto it.  And I never embarrassed a coach again with piss behavior again.

Sounds like the coach needed no help embarrassing himself.   Threw up 5 rows into the bleachers?    

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users