Eagle26

Yianni torn ACL

...great quotes from Coach Koll- now if we can all have that attitude, and get rid of Facebook, FaceTime, twitter, snapchat and all the other bull**** that puts us in our own little vacuum chamber, and live in the phukin moment and look each other in the eyes and communicate instead of staring at our phukin device-- things would be a lot better.....

I hate some of those quotes in the article by Rob Koll. Very stubborn idea to ask people to wrestle through injury like that. Maybe if they're a senior. Typical bullhead, old-school wrestling coach ideals.

In the alternative Bizzaro World, Koll would have pulled Yianni, (ignoring his protests) immediately during the Heil match and had him default out of the tournament.  Next season, Yianni would have transferred to Rutgers.

Edited by redblades

I don’t see why everyone is making a big deal about letting him wrestle. It’s not like he is the first to ever wrestle in the NCAA tournament injured. He knew something was wrong and probably even that it was a possible ACL injury, but no one knew for sure that it was torn without the MRI. The kid wanted to wrestle it’s not like he was forced to. Does it show that he is a tough kid? Absolutely. It is silly to say that he shouldn’t have been allowed to continue when he wanted to keep wrestling for something he had worked hard for all season. It is not like they sent him back out there after being diagnosed with a massive concussion. Just think if they had told him he couldn’t wrestle and then went and had the MRI and end up with just a torn meniscus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since he heard/felt a pop — fair to assume full tear?

That "pop" is one of the sure fire symptoms of a full tear. When I had mine I heard the pop. It sounds like a sickening little explosion. What surprises me are two things here. I re watched his matches with Heil, then the semi match, then the final. He obviously hurt it vs. Heil. You can see him playing with that knee right after he hurt it, and you can visibly see a very small change in the way he is walking. He's not 100% stable there, yet stable enough. That is ridiculously amazing. In the last two matches he has the knee wrapped. By this time there should be some internal bleeding one would think. The knee would normally swell up so much that the movement is really compromised. Neither of these things stopped him, so that is really amazing. 

Well Congrats for Yanni for winning the NCAA's. Hopefully this injury can be treated and does not imped Yanni going forward. Unfortunately, I this this injury probably curtails any Freestyle plans for this Sring and Summer. So it looks like a big loss for us and USA wrestling on whatever level Yanni was thinking about competing at.

Yeah, sorry, as a person who is entering healthcare/medical field, the people around failed him. It worked out THIS time, and I'm happy for him (I wanted him to win, along with Bryce LOL but can't have everything). But does this set a precedent going forward? It may not be as serious as a concussion, but the line of thinking is the exact same as when football coaches would tell a concussed player "You just got your bell rung, drink some water and go back out there, tough it out." There is a line, guys, lol.

Yeah, sorry, as a person who is entering healthcare/medical field, the people around failed him. It worked out THIS time, and I'm happy for him (I wanted him to win, along with Bryce LOL but can't have everything). But does this set a precedent going forward? It may not be as serious as a concussion, but the line of thinking is the exact same as when football coaches would tell a concussed player "You just got your bell rung, drink some water and go back out there, tough it out." There is a line, guys, lol.

If he doesn't wrestle, he needs knee surgery. If he keeps wrestling, he wins a national championship and then needs knee surgery. What's so bad about that? It is nothing like a concussion that can cause permanent brain damage. I can't imagine he would damage he knee so bad that it could not be surgically repaired? I don't think I have ever heard of that in any sport.

That "pop" is one of the sure fire symptoms of a full tear. When I had mine I heard the pop. It sounds like a sickening little explosion. What surprises me are two things here. I re watched his matches with Heil, then the semi match, then the final. He obviously hurt it vs. Heil. You can see him playing with that knee right after he hurt it, and you can visibly see a very small change in the way he is walking. He's not 100% stable there, yet stable enough. That is ridiculously amazing. In the last two matches he has the knee wrapped. By this time there should be some internal bleeding one would think. The knee would normally swell up so much that the movement is really compromised. Neither of these things stopped him, so that is really amazing.

Not necessarily true. Sprains can pop quite loudly when the ligament snaps around the bone. It doesn't always tear when it pops like that

If he doesn't wrestle, he needs knee surgery. If he keeps wrestling, he wins a national championship and then needs knee surgery. What's so bad about that? It is nothing like a concussion that can cause permanent brain damage. I can't imagine he would damage he knee so bad that it could not be surgically repaired? I don't think I have ever heard of that in any sport.

You are correct in that he would need surgery either way. But without the support/stability provides by the ACL the athlete is more vulnerable to tearing additional ligaments.

My knee popped once and it was only a sprain. Happened while being a young coach years ago and my younger brother was home for a few days during winter break as a freshman in a D1 program and he was out to beat me and it worked lol.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk