Sign in to follow this  
WrestlingFan89

SDSU Head Coach

Agree. The non-Big 10 Teams need to stay relevant for the long-term health of D1 Wrestling. Moves like this hurt.

I agree with you completely about non-Big Ten teams, that is extremely important for the health of the sport.  But I don't think this automatically is bad.  The administration at SDSU is supportive of wrestling and Bono had it on the rise.  And he left on a peak year.  If they make a good hire there's no reason they can't keep the ball rolling.  And with Bono laying a solid foundation they should be able to attract quality applicants. 

At the time Bono was hired, Tony Ersland and Troy Steiner were applicants that were passed over. And that was to take over a program completely lacking D1 talent. This team has a returning national champion and 3 other underclassmen qualifiers. They have 2 top 40ish kids signed to NLI’s. And they have an AD strongly committed to the sport of wrestling.

Getting quality applicants is not going to be a problem.

the 2 top 40 NLI mean nothing. They won’t go if they were wanting bono. We have seen this issue a couple times haven’t we?

I agree with you completely about non-Big Ten teams, that is extremely important for the health of the sport. But I don't think this automatically is bad. The administration at SDSU is supportive of wrestling and Bono had it on the rise. And he left on a peak year. If they make a good hire there's no reason they can't keep the ball rolling. And with Bono laying a solid foundation they should be able to attract quality applicants.

I hope so.

Ohio and PA have the best HS wrestlers, so it’s not surprising they are the two best teams. Other than them, everyone in the B10 is beatable.

true. It’s a big drop off after the top 3 or so college teams. Edited by xander

Although I see part of your point, I think Gross, Yianna D, Zahid and Macchiavello showed that isnt entirely true.

Not to mention, NC State was on the podium and only didn’t outright beat Michigan (#4 big ten) because of 2 team point deductions.

Missouri with two more wins (Lavallee, Erneste) could’ve even pushed Michigan down further.

Oklahoma State will also be right in the mix next year, possibly with 10 ranked guys just like last season, when they ended with 8 AAs

Wyoming is on the rise, as is SDSU

There was an all ACC final for the first time

VT outperformed expectations and have solid recruits

Cornell overperformed and have 5 AAs on the team next season, 3 of whom are freshman this year. They also have arujao coming in. Cornell can realistically have 6 AAs and 3 title contenders next year.

Would Jeremy Spates be interested in this job?

That's an interesting name outside of the obvious choices. Not much success so far where he is, but that is not an easy job by any means.

That's an interesting name outside of the obvious choices. Not much success so far where he is, but that is not an easy job by any means.

I wouldnt say hasnt had much success. DIdnt in 2017 he have a few all americans?

Would a guy like Lee Pritts entertain the idea of heading to SDSU, or is he waiting for Goldman to step down at Indiana?

He has applied before, can’t remember if it was for the head job when Bono got it or if he applied to be an assistant.

Being his second transfer, pretty sure he’d have to sit out a year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not if he graduates

Not to mention, NC State was on the podium and only didn’t outright beat Michigan (#4 big ten) because of 2 team point deductions.

Missouri with two more wins (Lavallee, Erneste) could’ve even pushed Michigan down further.

Oklahoma State will also be right in the mix next year, possibly with 10 ranked guys just like last season, when they ended with 8 AAs

Wyoming is on the rise, as is SDSU

There was an all ACC final for the first time

VT outperformed expectations and have solid recruits

Cornell overperformed and have 5 AAs on the team next season, 3 of whom are freshman this year. They also have arujao coming in. Cornell can realistically have 6 AAs and 3 title contenders next year.

Very true post!  If the PA schools like Clarion, Pittsburgh, Lock Haven, Edinboro, etc... get back to where they once were it could really shake up the national tournament.  I personally feel that Pittsburgh if fully funded could be a true sleeping giant.  They may not compete for recruits with Penn State but with hard work they could have 3 or 4 AA's most every year.  There is so much talent in the Pittsburgh and Eastern PA area that it's scary.  

Maybe SDSU should go balls out, offer Cael a truckload of money, and start putting themselves on the NCAA map? Half the team would probably transfer and turn SDSU into a powerhouse overnight!

There's lot of good coaches out there, hoping SDSU finds one of 'em.

Very true post!  If the PA schools like Clarion, Pittsburgh, Lock Haven, Edinboro, etc... get back to where they once were it could really shake up the national tournament.  I personally feel that Pittsburgh if fully funded could be a true sleeping giant.  They may not compete for recruits with Penn State but with hard work they could have 3 or 4 AA's most every year.  There is so much talent in the Pittsburgh and Eastern PA area that it's scary.  

It's always boggled my mind how weak PITT is in wrestling. They should be a mini-powerhouse at least, on par with Lehigh, Edinboro, etc.

I think Gross, Yianna D, Zahid and Macchiavello showed that isnt entirely true.

the ACC final at 197 also was the least interesting imo bc most of us hadn't followed those guys all year like we had the big10 guys. Wrestling media covers the big10 and the few other guys who are favorites. Id like to see that change.