Sign in to follow this  
WrestlingFan89

SDSU Head Coach

C. Simaz

He seems to like cold weather. He went from Cornell to Chicago to Army Prep. I was kidding him about that. Normally people go further south but I didn't think Ithaca to West Point was very significant.

He seems to like cold weather. He went from Cornell to Chicago to Army Prep. I was kidding him about that. Normally people go further south but I didn't think Ithaca to West Point was very significant.

It's usually the miserable weather states that produce the best wrestlers. It's still snowing in PA.

https://youtu.be/3jWXCzBB0Do

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hopefully Hahn picks up where Bono left off. What is a realistic goal? Three AAs per year?

I think that's actually very reasonable to start. If they get to the point where theyre consitently top 10, and have 4-5 AAs a year, with a finalist here and there then I'd be shocked if Hahn ever leaves. 

Geographically he hit a home run with him being a pretty well known gopher alum. Then, if he can get Seth Gross to stick around? Dont get me started. 

Hiring Hahn lets us know that SDSU is serious about keeping their program competitive.  As a fan, I appreciate it.  Contrast that with Indiana which wouldn't even open up their coaching search since that would require them to actually pay attention to wrestling results.  

Hopefully Hahn picks up where Bono left off. What is a realistic goal? Three AAs per year?

Going forward perhaps, but 2018/19 maybe 1-2

It will also be impacted by who leaves this year to follow bono.

If Hahn can build s pipeline from Minn, he will be good to go. We know he can coach.

I agree that it was great to see SDSU go out and conduct a professional search and then go hard after Damion Hahn. I can not think of very many coaching hires that have such a great fit. I have absolutely no doubt that they will continue their recent success and be top ten very soon, no 5-10 year plan here.

Damion’s staff selection will be very interesting. I doubt that either Kyle or Gabe will sever their Cornell ties, at least at this time. I wonder if A.J. Schoop would come back? Did he leave on good terms with the administration? Damion has so many connections I am sure he will be able to create balance and expertise with 2-3 guys right off the bat. Thoughts for ex Gophers?

Do they have a RTC? Certainly very helpful these days to keep guys like Gross around and bringing in top recruits.

I thought I saw that Gross wants to talk to the new coach before making a decision on staying or leaving. I really hope he stays, he is already an Icon and has a wonderful opportunity to be a part of something very special.

Not sure if any others were considering following Bono but I have to say that many of “us” find it hard to believe that hiring Damion Hahn is not a huge plus and maybe even a step up, even compared to the fantastic steps Bono took at putting them on the D1 map. Damion has been not only very successful as a wrestler and coach for two decades but is an absolute class act in every respect.

It is kind of cool that we now have a “SDSU East fan base”.

All the best to the Jackrabbits. Being such an avid outdoorsman I bet Damion likes that better than the Big Red :)

I think that's actually very reasonable to start. If they get to the point where theyre consitently top 10, and have 4-5 AAs a year, with a finalist here and there then I'd be shocked if Hahn ever leaves. 

Geographically he hit a home run with him being a pretty well known gopher alum. Then, if he can get Seth Gross to stick around? Dont get me started. 

I'll honestly be surprised if he can do that. because hardly anyone does. or maybe I need a definition of what consistently top 10 means, because again, hardly anyone is consistently top 10 for very long; much less cranks out 4-5 AAs a year for very long.  

or maybe here's another way to look at it....would you expect SDSU under Hahn to consistently be better than say, Lehigh? 

Edited by KTG119

I'll honestly be surprised if he can do that. because hardly anyone does. or maybe I need a definition of what consistently top 10 means, because again, hardly anyone is consistently top 10 for very long.  

Consistently is probably the wrong word. I'd say on and off would be the better way to put it. 

Hahn said today that he will be keeping Cody Caldwell on staff. Said he has 2 more positions to fill and has some guys on the line for that. He hinted that at least one of them had a significantly successful college career and would be a “big splash hire.” He hopes to have his staff in place within the next week or so.

https://news.theopenmat.com/blog/2018/04/13/damion-hahn-among-coaches-takedown-radio-april-14th/

Edited by WrestlingFan89

It's usually the miserable weather states that produce the best wrestlers. It's still snowing in PA.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Why do you think snow is "miserable weather"?

Cold winters, four full seasons, mild summers. That is so much nicer than hot and humid or hotter and dry for some of us.

Love the cold weather. Ice and snow and the beauty of severe winter storms on the Prairie is something to enjoy.

I think weather is a bit overrated. Just ask Cal Poly. They've been using weather to pitch their program to new recruits for years now and look how far it's gotten them. I heard a rumor that a CA guy is transferring out of college here in CA and will attend NDSU (NCAA qualifier/Midlands placer). I'm sure there were plenty of warmer weather opportunities for him. But I have to admit that it's frustrating to see guys transferring out of CA. However, it looks like Fresno State is doing a good job of signing some young talent from other states. I think its more about fit than weather.

Hahn said today that he will be keeping Cody Caldwell on staff. Said he has 2 more positions to fill and has some guys on the line for that. He hinted that at least one of them had a significantly successful college career and would be a “big splash hire.” He hopes to have his staff in place within the next week or so.

https://news.theopenmat.com/blog/2018/04/13/damion-hahn-among-coaches-takedown-radio-april-14th/

big splash , maybe jrob?

Well, I hope Coach Hahn, assembles a great staff, and I know that there is a lot of talent out there, and I look forward to seeing who the "Big Splash," hire is.

Edited by de4856