• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#21 de4856

de4856

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,527 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 05:49 AM

I wonder if Mike Zadick or Brent Metcalf throw their hat in the ring for SDSU. Both have the wrestling credentials. And I know Mike has had a ton of assistant coaching experience.
Brent has less coaching experience, and Brent is only a volunteer with the Cyclones, and no doubt he would improve his financial circumstances by taking a job with the Jack Rabbits.

#22 WrestlingFan89

WrestlingFan89

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 665 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 06:35 AM

SDSU release:

http://gojacks.com/n...-wisconsin.aspx

#23 southend

southend

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 710 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 07:43 AM

Hate it! For D-1 wrestling in general. 

• ScarletKnight likes this

#24 buf87

buf87

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 551 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 08:04 AM

I wonder if Mike Zadick or Brent Metcalf throw their hat in the ring for SDSU. Both have the wrestling credentials. And I know Mike has had a ton of assistant coaching experience.
Brent has less coaching experience, and Brent is only a volunteer with the Cyclones, and no doubt he would improve his financial circumstances by taking a job with the Jack Rabbits.

Metcalf and Zadick are well paid by Cyclone RTC and Iowa State.  

#25 Show_Me

Show_Me

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 735 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 10:53 AM

Hate it! For D-1 wrestling in general.

Agree. The non-Big 10 Teams need to stay relevant for the long-term health of D1 Wrestling. Moves like this hurt.
  • GockeS, de4856 and 4awrestler like this

#26 ThatLogSchuteWasCarrying

ThatLogSchuteWasCarrying

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 266 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 11:48 PM

Agree. The non-Big 10 Teams need to stay relevant for the long-term health of D1 Wrestling. Moves like this hurt.

I agree with you completely about non-Big Ten teams, that is extremely important for the health of the sport.  But I don't think this automatically is bad.  The administration at SDSU is supportive of wrestling and Bono had it on the rise.  And he left on a peak year.  If they make a good hire there's no reason they can't keep the ball rolling.  And with Bono laying a solid foundation they should be able to attract quality applicants. 

• WrestlingFan89, herma48852 and 4awrestler like this

#27 xander

xander

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,959 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 01:23 AM

At the time Bono was hired, Tony Ersland and Troy Steiner were applicants that were passed over. And that was to take over a program completely lacking D1 talent. This team has a returning national champion and 3 other underclassmen qualifiers. They have 2 top 40ish kids signed to NLI’s. And they have an AD strongly committed to the sport of wrestling.

Getting quality applicants is not going to be a problem.

the 2 top 40 NLI mean nothing. They won’t go if they were wanting bono. We have seen this issue a couple times haven’t we?
Tony Clifton

#28 xander

xander

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,959 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 01:26 AM

D1 is dead. It’s only big 10.
Tony Clifton

#29 xander

xander

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,959 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 01:28 AM

Metcalf and Zadick are well paid by Cyclone RTC and Iowa State.

and they have as much job security as dresser. The improvement would be if they want promotions I guess
Tony Clifton

#30 xander

xander

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,959 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 01:28 AM

I agree with you completely about non-Big Ten teams, that is extremely important for the health of the sport. But I don't think this automatically is bad. The administration at SDSU is supportive of wrestling and Bono had it on the rise. And he left on a peak year. If they make a good hire there's no reason they can't keep the ball rolling. And with Bono laying a solid foundation they should be able to attract quality applicants.

I hope so.
Tony Clifton

#31 OhioSpladle

OhioSpladle

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 01:29 AM

Although I see part of your point, I think Gross, Yianna D, Zahid and Macchiavello showed that isnt entirely true. 

• whyme25 likes this

#32 xander

xander

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,959 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 01:31 AM

^^^^^Yep. Totally agree. There are pockets of talent for sure in all programs.

Edited by xander, 25 March 2018 - 01:31 AM.

• OhioSpladle likes this
Tony Clifton

#33 Billyhoyle

Billyhoyle

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,337 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 01:31 AM

Ohio and PA have the best HS wrestlers, so it’s not surprising they are the two best teams. Other than them, everyone in the B10 is beatable.

#34 xander

xander

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,959 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 01:32 AM

Ohio and PA have the best HS wrestlers, so it’s not surprising they are the two best teams. Other than them, everyone in the B10 is beatable.

true. It’s a big drop off after the top 3 or so college teams.

Edited by xander, 25 March 2018 - 01:33 AM.

Tony Clifton

#35 Housebuye

Housebuye

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,462 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 01:34 AM

Although I see part of your point, I think Gross, Yianna D, Zahid and Macchiavello showed that isnt entirely true.

Not to mention, NC State was on the podium and only didn’t outright beat Michigan (#4 big ten) because of 2 team point deductions.

Missouri with two more wins (Lavallee, Erneste) could’ve even pushed Michigan down further.

Oklahoma State will also be right in the mix next year, possibly with 10 ranked guys just like last season, when they ended with 8 AAs

Wyoming is on the rise, as is SDSU

There was an all ACC final for the first time

VT outperformed expectations and have solid recruits

Cornell overperformed and have 5 AAs on the team next season, 3 of whom are freshman this year. They also have arujao coming in. Cornell can realistically have 6 AAs and 3 title contenders next year.
  • xander and cjc007 like this

#36 xander

xander

Gold Member

• Members
  • 4,959 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 01:39 AM

My posts in general as of late have been more negative and condescending— not really my style. I’ll try to be more optimistic and positive going forward.
  • teach, Yellow_Medal and herma48852 like this
Tony Clifton

#37 WrestlingFan89

WrestlingFan89

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 665 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 03:08 PM

Would Jeremy Spates be interested in this job?

#38 rlw028

rlw028

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 577 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 01:18 AM

Would Jeremy Spates be interested in this job?

That's an interesting name outside of the obvious choices. Not much success so far where he is, but that is not an easy job by any means.

#39 lurshy92

lurshy92

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 309 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 01:27 AM

That's an interesting name outside of the obvious choices. Not much success so far where he is, but that is not an easy job by any means.

I wouldnt say hasnt had much success. DIdnt in 2017 he have a few all americans?

#40 JasonBryant

JasonBryant

I love the Goonies.

• Members
  • 8,841 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 01:39 AM

I wouldnt say hasnt had much success. DIdnt in 2017 he have a few all americans?

One - Jake Residori.

Don't work here no more. Happy now?

www.mattalkonline.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users