Photo

Anybody think Quint Kessenich got a bit obtrusive during the Finals?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Medicine_Man

Medicine_Man

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,289 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 07:20 AM

40282905174_921f372cb6_o_d.jpg

(Excellent photo by Tony Rotundo)

Edited by Medicine_Man, 24 March 2018 - 07:23 AM.

• HurricaneWrestling, TheOhioState, scribe and 15 others like this

#2 tommygun

tommygun

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 954 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 07:29 AM

Wrestlers might be the toughest interview in all of sports directly following a competition. He does a fine job. Former wrestlers / fans being critical of him is laughable.
  • TheOhioState likes this

#3 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,031 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 07:37 AM

Wrestlers might be the toughest interview in all of sports directly following a competition. He does a fine job. Former wrestlers / fans being critical of him is laughable.

The timing of the interviews is horrible. He should be doing those interviews after they step off the awards podium, not immediately following their matches. You don't see reporters interviewing the quarterback or receiver immediately after a touchdown or a baseball player immediately after scoring a run at home plate. Boxers and MMA fighters don't get interviewed until after they're announced the winner of their fix which is atleast a few minutes after the fight ends. Wrestlers arent given a moment to compose themselves which is why their interviews seem out there at times.

Edited by BigTenFanboy, 24 March 2018 - 07:38 AM.

#4 gowrestle

gowrestle

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,313 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 08:35 AM

The most compelling interviews were done by Flo when they spoke to the second place finishers. I didn’t see all of them but the interviews that I did see, all of the wrestlers showed great class and character.
  • TheOhioState and xander like this

#5 cornercoach

cornercoach

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 09:10 AM

...... i never knew he had 6 fingers on his left hand...... you know you're gonna look, just go ahead..............

#6 TBar1977

TBar1977

Hall of Fame Member

• Members
  • 12,865 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 09:41 AM

Talk to them after they cool down, not just walking off the mat. That way you don't get questions like "You must have really strong forearms, what does that feel like on the mat". He actually posed that question to Zain Retherford and the answer was "I don't know because I never wrestled myself". 

Penn State - NCAA Champions 7 of the last 8 Years

#7 Zebra

Zebra

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 10:21 AM

...... i never knew he had 6 fingers on his left hand...... you know you're gonna look, just go ahead..............

Quick get Inigo Montoya. 

#8 TheOhioState

TheOhioState

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 10:31 AM

NCAA Champs have been interviewed right after victory for a long time.  I can still remember Kevin Randleman getting interviewed in 1993.  He spoke with a dislocated jaw.  

MM's picture is awesome, by the way.

#9 Lurker

Lurker

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 625 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 11:18 AM

1)He's told by his producers/directors/superiors when to do interviews. Crapping on him is barking up the wrong tree.

2). It's true reporters don't interview quarterbacks after a touchdown, or ball players just after a home run. Just as you don't see him running up to interview the wrestling athletes after the first takedown. What you do see however, is reporters running on the field/court, chasing down the quarterback/ball player, etc AS SOON AS THE COMPETITION IS OVER and sticking a mic in their face. Happens in every single sport.

Yet us wrestling folk who want more coverage also want to find ways to bitch about the current coverage. All the big time sports had to learn to cope with and manage the media coverage for the betterment of the sport. But we shouldn't have to. Give us more, and make it exactly how we want it to be. Or we'll cry some more. Amazes me.

Edited by Lurker, 24 March 2018 - 11:20 AM.

• jstock, gopher_fan_90 and CoachWrestling like this

#10 HurricaneWrestling

HurricaneWrestling

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7,870 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 11:30 AM

Not only was his interview intrusive, his body positioning is what caused Yianni's ACL tear.

40282905174_921f372cb6_o_d.jpg

• scribe likes this

#11 cornercoach

cornercoach

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 12:36 PM

Quick get Inigo Montoya. 

.. huh?? watt???..

#12 BigTenFanboy

BigTenFanboy

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,031 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 03:24 PM

1)He's told by his producers/directors/superiors when to do interviews. Crapping on him is barking up the wrong tree.
2). It's true reporters don't interview quarterbacks after a touchdown, or ball players just after a home run. Just as you don't see him running up to interview the wrestling athletes after the first takedown. What you do see however, is reporters running on the field/court, chasing down the quarterback/ball player, etc AS SOON AS THE COMPETITION IS OVER and sticking a mic in their face. Happens in every single sport.
Yet us wrestling folk who want more coverage also want to find ways to bitch about the current coverage. All the big time sports had to learn to cope with and manage the media coverage for the betterment of the sport. But we shouldn't have to. Give us more, and make it exactly how we want it to be. Or we'll cry some more. Amazes me.

I agree with you that it's the producers who choose when the interviews are conducted and have stated in other posts that ESPN does not understand wrestling, however the suggestions being made actually would make a better overall product, so while yes it works in other sports to rush the field and shove a microphone in the face of a quarterback as soon as the game is over while he tries to find the other quarterback and shake hands with him, it doesn't work well in wrestling. You also dont see the media and fans running out onto the mat like you do in a football game. I honestly feel bad for Quint Kennsnick because you can read in his face he doesnt enjoy having to chase these guys down and interview when hes required to.

Edited by BigTenFanboy, 24 March 2018 - 03:25 PM.

#13 Zebra

Zebra

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 11:20 PM

.. huh?? watt???..

This is a movie character looking for "The six fingered man." 

• cornercoach likes this

#14 mattchristensen112

mattchristensen112

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 535 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 04:24 AM

I understand that he isn't in total control, but his questions are THE WORST. Get someone in his position with more personality and quicker on their feet and I don't think there would be problems.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

#15 Threadkilla

Threadkilla

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,438 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 05:04 AM

• HurricaneWrestling, scribe, madcat11 and 4 others like this

#16 GockeS

GockeS

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 867 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 05:28 AM

crusty? directly? these guys are idiots.

this guy is absolutely right. what kind of person thinks a horse race is anything close to meaningful as ANY battle ANY war ANY period?

#17 cornercoach

cornercoach

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 09:19 AM

edit-thanks

Edited by cornercoach, 26 March 2018 - 09:59 AM.

#18 1032004

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 468 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 05:20 AM

I understand that he isn't in total control, but his questions are THE WORST. Get someone in his position with more personality and quicker on their feet and I don't think there would be problems.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

This. I think someone also said in a different thread that his interviews seem to always be a couple questions too long which is true too.
  • mattchristensen112 likes this

#19 HurricaneWrestling

HurricaneWrestling

Gold Member

• Members
  • 7,870 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 12:05 PM

You also dont see the media and fans running out onto the mat like you do in a football game.

However, when the Hawkeyes are competing, we see the coaches running out onto the mat.  Just sayin'...

#20 Serial_Thriller

Serial_Thriller

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 12:12 PM

However, when the Hawkeyes are competing, we see the coaches running out onto the mat. Just sayin'...

No you don’t.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users