Sign in to follow this  
Medicine_Man

Anybody think Quint Kessenich got a bit obtrusive during the Finals?

Wrestlers might be the toughest interview in all of sports directly following a competition. He does a fine job. Former wrestlers / fans being critical of him is laughable.

The timing of the interviews is horrible. He should be doing those interviews after they step off the awards podium, not immediately following their matches. You don't see reporters interviewing the quarterback or receiver immediately after a touchdown or a baseball player immediately after scoring a run at home plate. Boxers and MMA fighters don't get interviewed until after they're announced the winner of their fix which is atleast a few minutes after the fight ends. Wrestlers arent given a moment to compose themselves which is why their interviews seem out there at times.

Edited by BigTenFanboy

Talk to them after they cool down, not just walking off the mat. That way you don't get questions like "You must have really strong forearms, what does that feel like on the mat". He actually posed that question to Zain Retherford and the answer was "I don't know because I never wrestled myself". 

Wrestlers might be the toughest interview in all of sports directly following a competition. He does a fine job. Former wrestlers / fans being critical of him is laughable.

NCAA Champs have been interviewed right after victory for a long time.  I can still remember Kevin Randleman getting interviewed in 1993.  He spoke with a dislocated jaw.  

MM's picture is awesome, by the way.

1)He's told by his producers/directors/superiors when to do interviews. Crapping on him is barking up the wrong tree.

2). It's true reporters don't interview quarterbacks after a touchdown, or ball players just after a home run. Just as you don't see him running up to interview the wrestling athletes after the first takedown. What you do see however, is reporters running on the field/court, chasing down the quarterback/ball player, etc AS SOON AS THE COMPETITION IS OVER and sticking a mic in their face. Happens in every single sport.

Yet us wrestling folk who want more coverage also want to find ways to bitch about the current coverage. All the big time sports had to learn to cope with and manage the media coverage for the betterment of the sport. But we shouldn't have to. Give us more, and make it exactly how we want it to be. Or we'll cry some more. Amazes me.

Edited by Lurker

1)He's told by his producers/directors/superiors when to do interviews. Crapping on him is barking up the wrong tree.

2). It's true reporters don't interview quarterbacks after a touchdown, or ball players just after a home run. Just as you don't see him running up to interview the wrestling athletes after the first takedown. What you do see however, is reporters running on the field/court, chasing down the quarterback/ball player, etc AS SOON AS THE COMPETITION IS OVER and sticking a mic in their face. Happens in every single sport.

Yet us wrestling folk who want more coverage also want to find ways to bitch about the current coverage. All the big time sports had to learn to cope with and manage the media coverage for the betterment of the sport. But we shouldn't have to. Give us more, and make it exactly how we want it to be. Or we'll cry some more. Amazes me.

I agree with you that it's the producers who choose when the interviews are conducted and have stated in other posts that ESPN does not understand wrestling, however the suggestions being made actually would make a better overall product, so while yes it works in other sports to rush the field and shove a microphone in the face of a quarterback as soon as the game is over while he tries to find the other quarterback and shake hands with him, it doesn't work well in wrestling. You also dont see the media and fans running out onto the mat like you do in a football game. I honestly feel bad for Quint Kennsnick because you can read in his face he doesnt enjoy having to chase these guys down and interview when hes required to. Edited by BigTenFanboy

crusty? directly? these guys are idiots.

this guy is absolutely right. what kind of person thinks a horse race is anything close to meaningful as ANY battle ANY war ANY period?

I understand that he isn't in total control, but his questions are THE WORST. Get someone in his position with more personality and quicker on their feet and I don't think there would be problems.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

This. I think someone also said in a different thread that his interviews seem to always be a couple questions too long which is true too.

Medicine Man.....I see you've still "got it"!!!!  I haven't been on here in a while....not sure the winners were that thrilled about getting interviewed as they stepped off of the mat....some of the interviews were interesting/entertaining though.  I missed not getting to see the survey of fans who have been to at least 25/30/35/40, etc.  NCAA's though.  I think an interview or 2 eliminated the opportunity for that.  It was personally 41 for me/33 in a row.  I think the person with the most could be Jim Keen though......he has been to 60  NCAA's....started coming with his dad (Cliff) in late elementary school.  Some say Rummy Macias has the most???   Fadz

Edited by fadzaev2

ncaaryan62.jpgMedicine Man.....I see you've still "got it"!!!!  I haven't been on here in a while....not sure the winners were that thrilled about getting interviewed as they stepped off of the mat....some of the interviews were interesting/entertaining though.  I missed not getting to see the survey of fans who have been to at least 25/30/35/40, etc.  NCAA's though.  I think an interview or 2 eliminated the opportunity for that.  It was personally 41 for me/33 in a row.  I think the person with the most could be Jim Keen though......he has been to 60  NCAA's....started coming with his dad (Cliff) in late elementary school.  Some say Rummy Macias has the most???   Fadz